Deleted

Levling spec 80-90

Hi everyone

Just started wow back up with a scroll of resurection and i made a rogue to 80. But i have no clue on what abilities to use for questing :-)

so far i have found that combat is the way to go.

plz help a new rogue out

best regards jesper

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to icy-veins.com you'll find everything you need to know about Rogue spec/gear/gemming/reforge & rotations

Also, read the sticky posts in this section of the mmo-champ forums. There is lots of great information that the community has to share.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jesper85m View Post
    Hi everyone

Just started wow back up with a scroll of resurection and i made a rogue to 80. But i have no clue on what abilities to use for questing :-)

so far i have found that combat is the way to go.

plz help a new rogue out

best regards jesper

Really just play what you want, just make sure to use Glyph of Deadly Momentum it keeps Slice and Dice and Recup up everytime you kill stuff. Makes for a GREAT glyph!

Personally I find Sub is best. Stealth every add and kill it in a Cheap Shot.

With Combat you can cleave stuff down but, given that you will start each new xpac with green gear or heirlooms, you wont be doing too much of that - you will take too much damage.

I levelled 85-90 as Assassination with the legendaries and remember thinking to myself how much easier Sub would have been. At 88 and 89 you can't really pull more than one or two mobs at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda like Combat for the cleave. Pull multiple quest mobs and mow them down. If you prefer blasting them one at a time though Assassination might be better for you.

I don't think there was a good spec for getting from 88-90. Admittedly, I didn't play sub--possibly that would have been best. I can tell you Sin and Combat were both terrible. In general, that's just a bad place to be. Life as a rogue was just miserable at that point. I say that not to discourage you--because I've enjoyed my rogue since getting 470+ gear--but just so that when (or if!) you hit that last bump and go wth you'll realize that a lot of rogues felt that way at that point.

Deleted
    Been leveling both as Assa and Combat, and between those two Combat probably wins. Adrenaline Rush and Shadow Blades combined with Blade Flurry is pretty strong for zerging down several mobs at once and they are off cooldown quite often because of Restless Blades. Assassination was really lame during those levels iirc.

Sub could be good if you can kill stuff within a stun, but if you can't, I can see the positional requirement being quite annoying.
    Last edited by mmoc0488bfa35f; 2013-11-02 at 03:42 AM.

I found subtlety to be most enjoyable. Just make sure you have the glyphs of deadly momentum and hemorrhaging veins, and leeching poison.

80-85 in cata is beyond easy as any spec since the nerf to the xp needed to level there.

Combat wasn't too bad to level as but with the change to SS being 50 energy now it really hurt non-end game combat. By 88/89 any decent gear you might have won't have near enough haste to make combat cool and it'll feel slow and boring. But, honestly it's still a solid leveling spec especially with the cleave of blade flurry. But, even with the possibility of blade flurry if you ever pull multiple mobs at once probaby want to use CDs like evasion since rogues just take way too much damage and recoup's healing isn't that great.

Sub will be hard at 88/89 since you'll hardly be able to use backstab since most mobs take too long to kill so you'll mostly be restricted to hemo.

Honestly all 3 specs have advantages and disadvantages though so really I'd say go with whatever weapons you get and whatever you like the best. Like if you do some dungeons and get some 450 fist weapons but only have a lot lower level daggers you prolly will wanna level combat.

Once you hit lv 88/89 like other's have said stuff gets hard as a rogue. Can't kill anything fast and you tend to take a lot of damage. Good possibility that you'll die a lot and any time you pull more than 1 mob at a time it's gonna hurt. Those levels it slows down pretty hard for every class but as a rogue it felt the worst. But, that being said once you hit 90 and get some gear rogues are awesome and definitely worth the pain it takes to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jtstormrage View Post
    Personally I find Sub is best. Stealth every add and kill it in a Cheap Shot.

I levelled 85-90 as Assassination with the legendaries and remember thinking to myself how much easier Sub would have been. At 88 and 89 you can't really pull more than one or two mobs at a time.
    Did you actually try sub at 88-89? I went to 88 with sub (I had full bis DS gear) and at 88 it was pretty garbage. Stuff has so much hp it will survive your opening burst after which your damage is crap. Your dps cooldown is pretty crappy when you have aggro, and you really can't take packs of stuff even with cooldowns. If you don't have awesome cata gear going into it, I'd bet sub is pretty crap after the first or second MoP zone.

I played Assassination and chain pulled 1-2 mobs at a time with zero downtime. Not having to stealth and having full energy after killing something saves a lot of time.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you grab at least 1 450 BoA dagger from Dread Wastes, that helps immensely imo.

As far as spec goes, I would recommend Assassination/Sub, starting out as sub and bursting mobs hard, then switching to Ass when they start to live uncomfortably long. One of the major benefits of Assassination is that you're probably going to be doing much better damage without managing your cooldowns (which I always save for pvp/mass pulls).

Quote Originally Posted by adynn View Post
    Make sure you grab at least 1 450 BoA dagger from Dread Wastes, that helps immensely imo.

As far as spec goes, I would recommend Assassination/Sub, starting out as sub and bursting mobs hard, then switching to Ass when they start to live uncomfortably long. One of the major benefits of Assassination is that you're probably going to be doing much better damage without managing your cooldowns (which I always save for pvp/mass pulls).
    I always found combat to have the strongest solo "oh shit" CDs with killing spree and adrenaline rush. Vendetta only works vs. one target so while it's incredibly strong if you pulled too many mobs for instance it will only help you burn down one mob and then the rest you're just at normal dps levels again. Same with sub. Awesome CD for pvp when you get get behind an opponent but 0 aoe friendly and if the target is stun immune it's completely useless. Combat on the other hand if you pull too many just put up blade flurry, pop CDs, and by the time they're down everything should be dead as well.

Pretty sure it's hard to get BoA anything when I'm guessing this is him starting pretty much fresh with no 90 alts sitting around to do this. Plus those items are extremely luck based to get and you can camp a zone for a long time and never get one and honestly the time wasted trying to camp a rare spawn item would probably be more than it actually takes to level.

And as far as the BiS leveling people this guy is going to most likely be coming into the Jade Forest in lv85 cata questing gear. Everyone knows how much of a difference gear makes in this game so comparing the experience of a toon decked to the teeth with a toon in questing greens is such a huge difference. It's like a guy in LFR gear trying to gear like a BiS heroic raiding gear. Can get a general idea but in reality it's worlds apart.

80 to 88 any spec will do. I have 2 rogues lv 90 one I leveled combat and the other assassination with some sub on both for fun around 87 you can see that combat is starting to pull behind the other 2 choices imo

88 to 90 where your level significantly increased the haste/crit/mastery rating needed for 1% I feel Assassination performed much much better than the other two spec. (I have 2 rogues lv 90 and I've tried all 3 specs multiple times and ass was the easiest)

If you have 450 weapons you can use at lv 87 just spec whatever you want it'll be faceroll

combat
    Blade of the Prime
    Yaungol Fire Carrier

assassination/sub
    Wind-Reaver's Dagger of Quick Strikes x2
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-11-02 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warstar View Post
    I always found combat to have the strongest solo "oh shit" CDs with killing spree and adrenaline rush.

And as far as the BiS leveling people this guy is going to most likely be coming into the Jade Forest in lv85 cata questing gear.
    I dunno about that... when I hit 90 and was in blues (first time I really tried combat in MoP), with all my cooldowns I could kill maybe 3 mobs before they dropped. Rather than popping everything to try to mow down a group, its probably a lot easier to just vanish and repull a single.

And yeah, I'm assuming this guy will have quest gear going into MoP since he is starting at 80 which is why I think sub is a horrible idea. Sub only worked well for leveling in MoP early on because you could burst each mob really hard when you opened on it, and thats not happening if you aren't in cata raid gear to start.

I don't know if spending hours to get 450 boa weapons is really worth it anyway. If he happened to have them sure, but a 450 boa weapon for 3 levels isn't going to shave hours off his leveling time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    I dunno about that... when I hit 90 and was in blues (first time I really tried combat in MoP), with all my cooldowns I could kill maybe 3 mobs before they dropped. Rather than popping everything to try to mow down a group, its probably a lot easier to just vanish and repull a single.
    That's why it's an "oh shit" CD lol. Especially in the dread wastes if you try to sneak around mobs you eventually will pull extra mobs due to the fact that there's so many patrolling mobs in that zone it's almost impossible not to so it's frequently possible to run into a situation where vanish is down and you have to blow some CDs or else you die.

Personally I think combat has the strongest solo CDs out there because out of all the specs combat is the only one that has CDs that buff all your damage no matter what you do for a set amount of time.

Sub is all but worthless solo because of it's reliance on position. If there was a glyph or just a built in ability to shadow dance that took the positional requirement of ambush out (and honestly ambush shouldn't need to have a positional requirement anyways. Backstab it makes sense because its literally stabbing the back but ambush doesn't) then sub would have a lot stronger solo CD but until that day it's the worst out there.

Vendetta is extremely strong and will help you kill big mobs very fast but once the target with vendetta is dead it doesn't matter if it took the full duration of the ability or 2 seconds your CD is over and is worthless in an aoe situation. Most "oh shit" moments in a rogue's leveling experience is in fact the additional pulls of mobs so this ability just doesn't really help.

That's why I think that combat with adrenaline rush and killing spree is the best (cooldown wise) spec for leveling since you have an increased dps rate as long as the CDs are active and blade flurry is amazing for cleave situations to help you burst down those additional adds.

But realistically any spec you choose is going to suck ass at the 88/89 range until you hit 90 and get some gear (timeless isle is awesome for this). Rogue's by far have the hardest time leveling so you just have to grin and bear it and know that the end results are well worth the effort. And the biggest relief you can take is that the leveling process was nerfed by 1/3 so getting through that 88/89 range is so much easier now.