Poll: Do you like mastery as stat?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you like "mastery" as a stat?

I play a rogue, and I don't like mastery as a stat. I personally find, that all mastery does, is increase damage in a boring and complicated way. I think it contractradicts the main stats that boost damage (agility, strengh, intellect ect depending on your class).

Does anyone else feel the same way? I'm not complaining about rogues, or mastery balance, but rather it's mechanics as a damage increasing stat when we have so many already. I suppose this could make my arguement biased for a dps roll, and I'm not considering it uses as a healer or tank.

I also don't like the reforging system, or the now very bland talent system.

What are you thoughts on this?

Deleted
    i disagree with everything you say in this thread. reforging, talent system and mastery are all awesome

I love it. I think it gives Blizzard an opportunity to allow you to enhance your class/spec in a very unique way. If anything they should nix Hit and Expertise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I love it. I think it gives Blizzard an opportunity to allow you to enhance your class/spec in a very unique way. If anything they should nix Hit and Expertise.
    This I disagree with. I have always seen those stats as the 'ready mark'. What I mean is, when you have them capped, you are ready to start raiding/pvp/whatever your endgame is (and yes I know the PVP and PVE hit caps differ). I have always made sure fulfilling those stats was the most important thing I do each expansion I hit the level cap. As a DPS, there is no more important goal than this.

On subject, I like mastery, even on specs where mastery is the worst stat. This is because EVEN on those mentioned specs mastery has the most immediately profound and recognizable differences. Our OP is a rogue, and they have specs that both love and loathe mastery. Even the one that loathes it (sub) you can see a very distinct change with one piece of gear with mastery on it.
    Last edited by Teebone; 2013-10-23 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdeh View Post
    I'm not complaining about rogues, or mastery balance, but rather it's mechanics as a damage increasing stat when we have so many already.
    So many? We only have Haste and Crit, basically. I like the fact they introduced Mastery. It makes gearing more interesting, and helps Blizz direct our niche role better. Not to mention it's another balance tuning method for them.

And before you mention them as stats, I think Mastery is FAR more interesting then Main stat, hit or expertise. Now THOSE are boring.

Never liked it. It diminished the importance and fun of haste and crit for no apparent reason. It just bloated the game in yet another pointless way. I also think resilience, pvp power and battle fatigue are stupid.

Deleted
    Cant stand mastery as a stat.
    its just another set of numbers that need to be looked at and calculated for, would be perfectly happy if they said "Hey guys, mastery isnt working out for us, its being removed. sorry for all the money you dropped into gems, and enchants"

However I love the reforge system.

I do like mastery as a stat.

The only stats I really dislike and think should be removed are parry and dodge. I don't main tank but my alts do, so even the few times I see parry/dodge gear I get very disappointed.

I like its idea. It's supposed to boost damage. The rogue mastery I actually like.
    It adds a flavor to the class even if you don't always see it. At its roots, rogue mastery feels like one of the better ideas of mastery. Combat is a spec designed with the mastery of weapons. It's fitting that their mastery gives them a chance to hit extra times with their weapon. The other two work as well

What I dislike is how poorly some classes scale compared to others.
    I feel like blizzard needs to adjust the classes so that stats don't start canceling each other out. Haste and crit for death knights for example. Obviously that's one example. But the stat that I never see clashing with other stats is mastery. It's pretty hard in it's design to make it hit a soft cap where it becomes detrimental. I think that makes it a good stat overall. Both haste and crit have certain break points, either min or max, whereas mastery is just good damage.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like that it's something non-traditional. If anything, I wish it'd be more noticable while playing. To me it just feels like another stat you dump reforges into once you're at your caps.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some masteries are really fun: like Wild Quiver on hunter and Elemental Overload on shaman.

But many are super dull and need a rework. All the ones that say "increases (frost fire shadow, etc) damage by x%" need a looking at.

Don't like it at all, it ruined my class, one of the many things that made me lose interest in the technical aspect of the game. Diminished the importance of fun stats like haste or crit. Mages for example were forced to gem/reforge only mastery when mastery was introduced. It's essentially just a flat dmg increase to this and that spell from every class, really stupid. Oversimplified the game for dumb people, but that's what Blizzard does now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Never liked it. It diminished the importance and fun of haste and crit for no apparent reason. It just bloated the game in yet another pointless way. I also think resilience, pvp power and battle fatigue are stupid.
    I agree with this too, I think pvp power is yet another bloated stat similar to mastery.

I can understand resilience, it's supposed to protect you in pvp, but then having a stat "pvp power" that then negotiates this just makes the whole point of resilience somewhat unimportant. Resilience shouldn't be so powerful that it needs a stat to counteract it.

I don't like the way haste is working currently either - but I don't think it should be removed. It's really causing a lot of balance, scaling, and game play issues especially at lower character and item levels by it effecting energy regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I like that it's something non-traditional. If anything, I wish it'd be more noticable while playing. To me it just feels like another stat you dump reforges into once you're at your caps.
    You notice Elemental Overload. I guess that's why I like Mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I like Mastery as a stat. What my issue is, the stat budget seems to either have two certain stats or you're SOL. That bugs me. With Hi,Expertise,Haste,Crit,Mastery. Stat budget needs to be higher IMO if there's so many stats to stack.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

i like it insofar as it adds a unique flavor to every spec that sets it apart, even within the context of the class, but don't particularly care for it as a stat that is on gear.
    i think with haste, crit, hit, and exp there is enough stats and item budgeting to deal with, and mastery just introduced another ball into a juggling act that simply didn't need it.

now, if mastery were something that just innate scaled with your item level, or was derived based on your haste+crit or something, i would unreservedly like the stat.
    as is, i have my reservations about its implementation, but like it from a design perspective.

I love mastery, i love the talents.
    Reforge is fine, but i bit tedious on my feral with rune of reorigination, since it means FULL reforges each time i get a piece of gear. Apart from that it's great i think.
    My paladin tank currently have 11.44% hit, because hit gear is all i get. If i didn't have reforges i would have something like 17%. So that alone makes me happy about reforge. Overall i like the things that gives you an edge compared to a lazy person.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

same shit different day...everybody still runs the same cookie cutter builds specs enchants gems and reforges its no different than how the old talent system used to be

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    same shit different day...everybody still runs the same cookie cutter builds specs enchants gems and reforges its no different than how the old talent system used to be
    If you could prove every WoW player has the same talents, gems etc etc. Since that's a very big task, I doubt you could do it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    I like it. I think gearing would be too boring if I had crit/haste on every single piece and I also think some classes would be boring to dps with if you just stacked haste to get better.