Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Afflic vs Destro - Final Conclusion

So after completing all 14 bosses on LFR and Flex difficultly I do not see what all the fuss is about with affliction. Comparing my casual raid experience with normal and heroic numbers submitted on raidbots I come to the conclusion that destruction is out-performing affliction on most encounters. There are a few bosses that are clearly affliction favored (Protectors, Dark Shaman, and Thok) and a few that are destruction favored (Galakras, Sha, Spoil, and Garrosh). The bosses that do not have a multi-target dotting mechanic or aoe mechanic seem to be very similar (i.e. Juggernaut).

So much question is, why all the fuss about affliction?

What fuss are you talking about?

Deleted
    Because if all you're doing is LFR/Flex then your ilvl is probably quite low, and destruction performs better at lower gear levels.

Mine still isn't that high (563ilvl) but the gap in sims is slowly getting closer together, though I don't have 4 set yet which will benefit destro more than affliction.

Also, in LFR/Flex you can sit in fire all day or wait to finish your cast before moving. In heroic and to an extent in normals, if you don't move out of shit asap you're gonna die. On something like Malkorok you're trying to cast a Chaos bolt with 10 stack BBoY approaching and then you get knocked up, you just lost like 800k damage. This can happen again and again in different ways, whereas with affliction it's much easier to snapshot dots and not get shit on by movement as much.

I actually prefer destruction as a spec and play it when I can, but on some fights it can be difficult to compete when you keep getting unlucky with mechanics that force you to move.

Just my opinion on the matter, but affliction is still an extremely potent spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking news everyone, shitty LFR / Flex geared warlocks do more damage as destro than affliction, alert the press, call the president, we got some serious ground breaking revelations going on over here! I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS GUY FIGURED IT ALL OUT!

Infracted
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-10-23 at 06:38 PM.

Are you surprised that people might enjoy playing other specs that's not considered the "top" spec? All 3 warlock specs have shown to be very competitive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptic662 View Post
    Are you surprised that people might enjoy playing other specs that's not considered the "top" spec? All 3 warlock specs have shown to be very competitive
    It's been asked and answered like 5 million times that destruction performs better at lower ilvls and that they are pretty close in high end gear, yet once again we have a classic case of the OP not reading anything and just wading in with "affliction is shit" or "what spec should I play".

Nobody has even been saying that affliction is amazing, he's just plucked this idea out of thin air that people are saying destro is bad and afflic is godly (or whatever he's saying) and it isn't true.

Destruction is easy to play, while Aff takes time to master.
    It is just normal for casual players

We have the luxury of having 3 specs that offer a wide variety of playstyles which still produce similar results. Its fucking amazing. Find a spec you enjoy and stick with it. If you like destro and hate the other two, then just play destro? I just don't get the idea that we have to pit the specs against each other in some deathmatch and whoever raidbots says is the top means that its the spec we all need to be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by cryptic662 View Post
    We have the luxury of having 3 specs that offer a wide variety of playstyles which still produce similar results. Its fucking amazing. Find a spec you enjoy and stick with it. If you like destro and hate the other two, then just play destro? I just don't get the idea that we have to pit the specs against each other in some deathmatch and whoever raidbots says is the top means that its the spec we all need to be playing.
    This is not 100% players' fault. Few plays demo after the -30% to wild imp, -1 imp to imp swarm and nerf (only for warlock!) to UVLS.

If I can't persuade Blizzard to change their mind, I have to "La grève, putain!!!!!!!!!"
    Last edited by fassade; 2013-10-23 at 04:12 PM.

They don't play it because its not OP as hell. Its still very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its so sad people actually feel the need to make these threads and state obvious facts that every Warlock should know by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    Breaking news everyone, shitty LFR / Flex geared warlocks do more damage as destro than affliction, alert the press, call the president, we got some serious ground breaking revelations going on over here! I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS GUY FIGURED IT ALL OUT!

You are clearly retarded.

I stated that my conclusion is from my own experience (LFR/flex) and researching top parses both normal and heroic.

Infracted

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    It's been asked and answered like 5 million times that destruction performs better at lower ilvls and that they are pretty close in high end gear, yet once again we have a classic case of the OP not reading anything and just wading in with "affliction is shit" or "what spec should I play".

Nobody has even been saying that affliction is amazing, he's just plucked this idea out of thin air that people are saying destro is bad and afflic is godly (or whatever he's saying) and it isn't true.
    Ironic that you accuse me of not reading anything lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the bottom line is that if you want to play your class to maximum capabilities, you should be swapping afflic/destro for various encounters that favor certain mechanics. When I came to this forum weeks ago before 5.4 hit everyone was screaming that afflic was going to dominate.

I play both afflic and destro.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-10-23 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardio32 View Post
    So after completing all 14 bosses on LFR and Flex difficultly I do not see what all the fuss is about with affliction. Comparing my casual raid experience with normal and heroic numbers submitted on raidbots I come to the conclusion that destruction is out-performing affliction on most encounters. There are a few bosses that are clearly affliction favored (Protectors, Dark Shaman, and Thok) and a few that are destruction favored (Galakras, Sha, Spoil, and Garrosh). The bosses that do not have a multi-target dotting mechanic or aoe mechanic seem to be very similar (i.e. Juggernaut).

So much question is, why all the fuss about affliction?
    Unfortunately LFR and FLEX limit you to a small experience of the encounters mechanics. Different mechanics gain more importance in different difficulties and then Heroic modes usually add in an extra mechanic or two. These slight changes makes gameplay change sometimes very little and other times very drastic.

This is what the "fuss" is about that you're asking.

There is a point for casual play where you can literally play how you want in what spec you want and be able to perform sometimes better and other times worse than specs and players. While Heroic mode encounters require high end play style plus given the amount of gear that a person has determins what spec is better than another for a specific encounter.

If you peer into the Destruction and Affliction discussions pinned at the top of the warlock forum, you'll see how people theorycraft not only stat weights for AoE, High Movement, and Single target fights. You'll also see how people manage specific mechanics to make fights easier not only for yourself, but for your whole raid. Sometimes a few thousand DPS can be sacrificed by a talent/spec for your raid group in order to secure your kill (:

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    and then you get knocked up {snip}. This can happen again and again in different ways
    I lol'd

10char

Infracted
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-10-23 at 06:39 PM.

Deleted
    Bottom line is this was another pointless thread which just regurgitated the same things over and over again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greyce View Post
    I lol'd

10char
    hahaa nice spot

Deleted
    What fuss, just play the class and spec you like the most. That's my idea about it

Honestly it sounds like the OP hasn't been keeping up with changes. Destro got some severe buffs while affliction got nerfed. At the start of 5.4 affy slaughtered destro for the majority of us. I personally play destro more than affliction now that I got the immersus trinket since it doesn't like to proc on the pull

Quote Originally Posted by Cardio32 View Post
    When I came to this forum weeks ago before 5.4 hit everyone was screaming that afflic was going to dominate.
    And since then there have been like 10 Destro buffs + Affliction nerfs.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright lets make one thing clear. If you have nothing constructive to say here, it's probably better you don't say something at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Alright lets make one thing clear. If you have nothing constructive to say here, it's probably better you don't say something at all.
    I'd like to put forward the idea that if you haven't been to the forums in over 2 months then don't just randomly start pointless threads. Either keep up or catch up when you do venture over here, but the amount of pointless threads is becoming ridiculous.

Just this week we had 2 threads about the voidwalker and then somebody yesterday starts a completely new thread (the other two are still on the front page) asking what the deal with the void shield damage is and asking how it works. Like seriously, come on.