Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

Question 5.4 Efflorescence - Snapshot or Dynamic?

Perhaps my search-fu is simply weak, but I've been unable to find a straight answer to this question here or on any other forum or healer blog, and it seems like a pretty important point:

With Glyph of Efflo in 5.4, is the healing done by Efflorescence based upon a snapshot of your stats when you place the shroom, or does it update dynamically (the latter would make more sense, but you know what they say about assumptions...)?

Trying to decide if there's any reason to replace the shroom on INT or mastery procs.

(Edit/Addendum: On a semi-related note, does the Harmony effect itself scale dynamically with mastery procs? No, I know applied HoTs don't update dynamically after application, but I mean if you have an active Harmony buff after casting Swiftmend, and then you get a mastery buff proc, does your existing Harmony buff get immediately stronger for subsequently applied HoTs, or do you have to cast another direct heal to update it with the proc?)
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2013-10-23 at 04:33 PM.

Deleted
    hmm I know that on the PTR it used to be affected by SoTF but they quickly fixxed that :P

Very easy to test. Place a mushroom, check the log, remove some gear with intellect, check the log. If the number went down, it's dynamic. If not, it's snapshot.

You can do the same for the Harmony question. Cast a spell to get Harmony up, cast any HoT, quickly remove/replace some item with mastery (while maintaining the same amount of intellect) and recast the HoT. If the spell still heals for the same amount, Harmony is snapshot-based. If it heals for less, Harmony is dynamic.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Milky Way > Earth > Europe > The Netherlands
    It does update dynamically. The heal values go up the moment you get Harmony up and go down when you, for example, un-equip your weapon.

Mastery and Intellect appear to be dynamic since you see a boost in efflo when you obtain procs and when you activate your Harmony. However, I have heard that haste snapshots so if you drop an efflo with Bloodlust and Berserking (troll) you can actually maintain an overpowered efflorescence for 5 minutes (assuming you don't move it).

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Very easy to test. Place a mushroom, check the log, remove some gear with intellect, check the log. If the number went down, it's dynamic. If not, it's snapshot.
    I do plan to test it when I get home today. Oddly, these kinds of questions tend to pop into my head with the greatest frequency when I'm at work and thoroughly bored. BORED AT WORK? Preposterous.

Reading WoW forums at work? More unbelievable still!

Quote Originally Posted by Shifts View Post
    It does update dynamically. The heal values go up the moment you get Harmony up and go down when you, for example, un-equip your weapon.
    Thanks! That's one less test to run tonight.

I'm going to throw together an engineering trinket with a single 600 Mastery cog in it for a quick Harmony test when I log in after work. I'll post the results when they're available -- that is, if someone else doesn't beat me to the answer to my own question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeons View Post
    However, I have heard that haste snapshots so if you drop an efflo with Bloodlust and Berserking (troll) you can actually maintain an overpowered efflorescence for 5 minutes (assuming you don't move it).
    Any confirmation that this is still true post-5.4? I recall reading that temporary haste buffs simply don't affect the new Efflo at all anymore. Only (static, not proc) haste rating, and possibly the 5% raid buff aura.

My money is on only static haste rating affects efflo. I mean it would make sense since they fixed Sotf affecting it. ^_^

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As for mastery procs and Harmony, the verdict is in.

Harmony snapshots your mastery when activated.

I cast Rejuvenation followed by Swiftmend followed again by a new Rejuvenation. Subsequently equipping the cheapo 600 mastery trinket and casting Rejuvenation again yielded ... zero change in tick value. Swiftmending and reapplying Rejuvenation once more increased the value of each tick by a few hundred healing. Repeated every step three times with identical results.

Applications: Short-duration (~10s) mastery procs could potentially yield zero benefit if they go off at a bad time, unless you monitor and babysit them. However, a longer-duration mastery proc (>15s) could be capitalized upon by a determined player by monitoring for the buff and delaying a Swiftmend cast until the last second of the buff, thus effectively stretching out a trinket proc by an additional ~15s.

We don't have any mastery proc trinkets or enchants to worry about presently, so I guess it's a moot point. But there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    As for mastery procs and Harmony, the verdict is in.

Harmony snapshots your mastery when activated.
    Interesting. Completely irrelevant in the current tier as there are no mastery procs, but still very interesting.

During yesterday's HC thok kill I decided to try the Bloodlust+Berserking to see if efflorescence snapshoted, and the contribution of efflorescence skyrocked for the duration of the initial stack (I had to move my shroom later). At some point I was doing about 100K HPS with efflo alone, and it surpassed my rejuvenation by about 2% at the end of the first 25 stacks.

This pretty much proves that it snapshots haste making herbalism the best profession for stacked healing.

Still, to get the most out of a short haste buff when shroom is cast, you would be restricted to not moving the shrooms, and even more problematic not blooming. Losing out on the bloom is too much of a loss imo to bother gaming haste proc/buff for efflo tick gains. (unless its a fight with little burst/spike damage and lots of constant stacked aoe--then it might be worth it, maybe)

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This pretty much proves that it snapshots haste making herbalism the best profession for stacked healing.
    Well of course herbalism is the best profession to pair with Efflorescence! Throughput concerns aside, Efflo + Lifeblood = LOOK AT ALL OF THE PRETTY FLOWERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Throughput concerns aside, Efflo + Lifeblood = LOOK AT ALL OF THE PRETTY FLOWERS!
    ROFL hahaha awesome. Suddenly I wish i was a troll again for thok progression to have a fast ticking efflo. Oh well I can live without it.

No offense, but that's pretty lousy proof. A much better (and easier) way of testing would be to simply place the mushroom under your feet, remove all gear with haste, and then check the time stamps of the ticks to see how much time is between them with gear and without gear. If the value is the same, the mushroom snapshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    No offense, but that's pretty lousy proof. A much better (and easier) way of testing would be to simply place the mushroom under your feet, remove all gear with haste, and then check the time stamps of the ticks to see how much time is between them with gear and without gear. If the value is the same, the mushroom snapshots.
    See, you came up with a good idea. Now you do it because I don't need further proof. The insane boost in efflo HPS sold it for me, thok became much easier to heal.

Efflorescence snapshots Haste but Intellect updates dynamically.