Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraszmyl View Post
    The retina moniker denotes a high resolution display for the panel. The retina branded display in the 15 pro is 2880x1800 and the one in the 13 pro is 2560x1600 which sub divide into more normal resolutions for gaming without any of the normal associated stretch you would see if you were attempting to play something at 1366x786 on lets say a 1440x900 display. When the retina branded displays run their full resolution then yes you get shaper images and text and more area to work with for documents and pictures. All of which is variable based on your scaling which OSX does rather well and youll only get comparable scaling out of Windows 8 and 7 depending on what youre looking for.

So yes there is plenty of technology behind it and it does affect his gaming.

The little hd5100 would cry and attempt to kill itself trying to push the 4096000 pixels at the native resolution where as running wow full screen at 1440x900 instead while keeping a good ratio and pushing a more manageable 1296000 pixels will make the 5100 a playable and in theory enjoyable experience.

Edit x2 - to OP

Side note if you can afford it, get the i7 because the hd5100 will have a higher turbo clock rate.

Also if you can afford the 16 gigs of ram that will help in theory with the ssd longevity, it does in Linux and Windows systems so I would assume it does in OSX but I couldn't tell you for sure because I haven't seen anyone test it and I don't personally have a OSX machine with an ssd currently.

But the i7 is a more important upgrade for that little bit of extra boost if you're able to splurge for it or would have to pick between ram/i7.

Edit x2

Just noticed the 128g version comes with a 4g base which will force a lot of writes/reads to virtual memory on the ssd. The 256g Version with the 8 gigs of ram and the i7 are your best deal on cost to performance ratio. for 1799.

If you were going to consider the 512g one within your price range I would heavily suggest going to the base line 15inch retina instead since it has the iris pro , 8 gigs of ram, and a quad i7 for the same price and if you can tolerate the extra couple of inches a hell of a better machine.

Thanks for the input

Was planning on doing the $1500 model with 8gb ram, 256ssd, but I will certainly reconsider upgrading to the i7 after reading this. Will that directly affect graphics performance?

- - - Updated - - -

In all honesty, if im up to roughly $1800 on the 13", thinking I may as well bite the bullet and purchase the 15" base model ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    From wiki: "according to Apple, have a high enough pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance."

So basically a cheap 85$ 22" 1080p is retina too? Yea why not? There's no technology behind it especially if they upgraded their Ipad from a 720p to a 1440p display and made the text just bigger or otherwise its too small to read.

Filling an inch with more pixels is not something they do but rather Samsung orsomething since Apple doesnt even make their own displays except giving it some aluminium or glass and a big nice Apple logo.
    If you don't know what you're talking about please don't respond...you're not helping anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kronyk88 View Post
    If you don't know what you're talking about please don't respond...you're not helping anyone
    Well I'm not the one who is asking advise here, just like Tetris said: "Retina doesn't exist". Totally matches what I've said. Someone who claims that Apple's Retina is big technology is just...

He's claiming the IGP's (aka Intel IRIS HD) turbo is higher but that's not true. The CPU's clock is higher than the i5. His first attempt to make you pay more for a tiny bit performance. The extra cores you get from the i7 are totally useless for WoW/D3.

Side note if you can afford it, get the i7 because the hd5100 will have a higher turbo clock rate.
    Here we see his 2nd attempt of making you pay more again for nothing since you don't even need 16GB ram, doubt you can even fill your ram to 100%. In your case you'll never use pagefiling ever so I don't even see the point to think about "ssd longevity". He doesn't even know what degrades an ssd.

Also if you can afford the 16 gigs of ram that will help in theory with the ssd longevity, it does in Linux and Windows systems so I would assume it does in OSX but I couldn't tell you for sure because I haven't seen anyone test it and I don't personally have a OSX machine with an ssd currently.
    Think it's kinda clear he hasn't been helpful really except giving you awful advise. Checking quickly what models Apple offers, the first model offering the Intel IRIS IGP has a 2560x1600 display; you can't run WoW 25m raids properly with that GPU on that resolution. Rather go for the model with a 750m so you don't have to play on awful resolutions like 720p or whatsoever
    Last edited by Faithh; 2013-10-26 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Well I'm not the one who is asking advise here, just like Tetris said: "Retina doesn't exist". Totally matches what I've said. Someone who claims that Apple's Retina is big technology is just...

He's claiming the IGP's (aka Intel IRIS HD) turbo is higher but that's not true. The CPU's clock is higher than the i5. His first attempt to make you pay more for a tiny bit performance. The extra cores you get from the i7 are totally useless for WoW/D3.

Here we see his 2nd attempt of making you pay more again for nothing since you don't even need 16GB ram, doubt you can even fill your ram to 100%. In your case you'll never use pagefiling ever so I don't even see the point to think about "ssd longevity". He doesn't even know what degrades an ssd.

Think it's kinda clear he hasn't been helpful really except giving you awful advise. Checking quickly what models Apple offers, the first model offering the Intel IRIS IGP has a 2560x1600 display; you can't run WoW 25m raids properly with that GPU on that resolution. Rather go for the model with a 750m so you don't have to play on awful resolutions like 720p or whatsoever
    Sigh...Retina is BIG technology when you can cram insane resolutions in very small screens, pixel density is the whole point... Apple isn't the only company doing this by the way... and those displays are equally cool.

On topic about processor, who said anything about extra cores? All configurations for 13" models are DUAL CORE - - 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz [Add $300.00] ...again...if you don't know what you're talking about...STOP RESPONDING.

You talk about RAM being a waste...if I plan on keeping this machine for many years the average RAM demand for most programs is bound to increase. If I get 8gb and start maxing it out in 2 years... it was a bad decision. If I plan on keeping it a while...the advice to upgrade to 16gb was sound. [EDIT] I assumed he meant having more RAM would prevent the machine from swapping to the SSD when the machine demands more than the 8gb installed...which in turn would help with the longevity of the ssd?[EDIT]

Finally, read the posts. I said I do not care about maxing out resolutions for WoW or d3, i'm perfectly fine with playing @ 1280x800 at medium settings...I want the retina resolution for WORK, which is 9/10 times going to be text editors and photoshop; the IGPU will be fine.

Ultimately, you didn't listen to my scenario, you didn't take into account what goals I had in asking for advice, you answered questions that I never asked, and criticised comments that no one ever made. For god's sake...how can you not see that YOUR advice has been the least helpful to ME by far...? lmao...

FAITHH > > > STOP RESPONDING
    Last edited by Kronyk88; 2013-10-25 at 09:05 PM. Reason: missed the original post

Deleted
    I'm in the same boat, but with some experience from the past and present machines.

First of all, latest HD gfx from Intel (5000 famiy) are really great in terms of performance. Just to give you a hint, I'm currently running WoW on MacBook Air (latest Haswell version, with maxed out i7, 8GB ram and HD 5000 gfx). It runs great, with maxed texture resolution and min shadows (rest in medium state). Moreover, it runs fine, even on battery (3-4 hours of gaming on OSX!). It will run hot if I switch anisotropic filtering to 16x or change shadows settings. Why this is great? Air has a 15W TDP envelope, and is using the slowest gfx from current Intel HD series. 5100 has more power to process data, so it will get only better.

One more thing - just forget playing in retina resolution. Use native one (1440x900 or something like that) and you'll be fine.

I have experience with latest rBMP (2012) with GT650 dGPU. It was running fine, with almost everything maxed out but I sold it due to heat issues - this machine was overheating like crazy, throttling CPU to 50% after 30 min of gameplay. That was on maxed i7 2.7 with 8MB cache and 16GB RAM version of rMBP. After sticking with MBA, I'm still considering if I should go back to 15", or just take 13".

Overall, I will play ONLY Blizzard games (Diablo, WoW, SC2) on it, so for my needs 13" will be fine. But I will wait for AnandTech review and more details about performance of new 750GT in 15" rMBP, even if it's still the same chip. More vRAM (2GB instead of 1GB) and year+ of drivers, it may work better than last year model. I hope it will at least

On topic about processor, who said anything about extra cores? All configurations for 13" models are DUAL CORE - - 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz [Add $300.00] ...again...if you don't know what you're talking about...STOP RESPONDING.
    You just pay 300$ more for performance you won't even notice: http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7113/56104.png

You talk about RAM being a waste...if I plan on keeping this machine for many years the average RAM demand for most programs is bound to increase. If I get 8gb and start maxing it out in 2 years... it was a bad decision.
    Paying 200$ more for ram that you might "ever need in the future" for a laptop which would last you only a year or two? 800-900$ windows laptops will last you even longer.

[EDIT] I assumed he meant having more RAM would prevent the machine from swapping to the SSD when the machine demands more than the 8gb installed...which in turn would help with the longevity of the ssd?[EDIT]
    Ctrl+F Pagefiling. Like I said. If we are going irrelevant, the battery's lifespan won't live long with more ram installed. You'd be saving a lot money by just adding another set of 8GB from newegg

Ultimately, you didn't listen to my scenario, you didn't take into account what goals I had in asking for advice, you answered questions that I never asked, and criticised comments that no one ever made. For god's sake...how can you not see that YOUR advice has been the least helpful to ME by far...? lmao...
    I didnt criticize your comments but you're rather being disrespectful while I just didnt want you to overpay. I haven't answered any of your questions

Going to close this now. It has spiralled beyond constructiveness.