Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    That wasn't something they made in Wrath, that was a TBC design
    I think he is talking about the whole 310% flying speed thing. Which was a reward from raiding. You couldn't buy that until much later.
    Last edited by zephid; 2013-10-24 at 03:41 PM.

I have 11 level 90 toons and more on the way. I already spent an ungodly fortune buying flying skills for all of them. If it's a one-time, account-wide cost, that's one thing. But with Blizz's current system, your suggestion is unfairly punishing for "altoholics," who already get a major beat-down with the non-account-wide rep requirements, among other things.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you raised the price of Flying to something ridiculous you are only giving business to the gold farmers. Lowering flying and other costs and adding many dailies for making money was a big FU to the gold farming market.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Here's the flaw in your argument against him: You're not comparing current to anything previous.

Compare rep grinds of now to previous. (Yes, I've raised all reps but anglers to exalted and completed the story quests for them in MoP; Working on anglers)
    Compare previous content to pet battles, the farm, and Brawler's guild. (Proving Grounds, I don't mention as it's still semi-new.)
    Compare raiding of old to now.
    Compare legendaries of old to now.

Now, this comes from someone who still enjoys the game thoroughly, so my argument likely doesn't match up with the person you're talking to. But the rep grinds were nothing but daily quests, with no other option to do them. Add to that the fact they locked out valor gear at first, and you're stuck with an unnecessary grind that most people don't actually enjoy.
    The story quests were good.
    I personally didn't enjoy pet battles, but props to those who do.
    Brawler's guild was an awesome addition, and a great way to spend some que time.
    The farm is a 5 minutes daily thing if even, when fully unlocked. Not quite what I would consider content.
    Proving Grounds is a great way to prove you can play your class, but what else can it really do for you? There's a single title reward locked in Endless which many classes struggle to even get to, let alone do.
    Most of your information regarding reps and whatnot are fairly outdated, but I do understand what you are saying. I too would prefer to be able to do it how I want, when I want, but they have some reps like that. Black prince rep, shaohao, etc. They added additional ways to earn bonus rep many patches ago, which puts it more in line with a balance between the old and new methods. Before it was just griding. Sorry, but that's just a time commitment like I said before.

And legendaries? Now it is something you work for by completing multiple types and areas of content. You know what it used to be? RNG drop. Yes, b/c that's something to be proud of. Instead of showing that you put in time/effort over an entire expansion, we should go back to just having it drop off a boss. How is that somehow more worthy of feeling accomplished?

It's not. It's just a way to flaunt luck as a measure of epeen which is stupid. Similarly, and to tie this in to the topic that started this, having more gold to fly just shows you have gold. Considering that you can bot and buy your way to that feat, it's not really impressive to me. It's just a reproduction of a caste system from real life, which we have already determined is bad. It's one thing to have extravagance for wealth, that's fine.

But fundamental game mechanics tied to upper class status? Yeah no thanks.
    BAD WOLF

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the cost goes up, subs go down.
    So think about that a little harder.

Flying should be built in. We didn't defeat Ragnaros, the Lich King, Yogg Saron, Algalon, Deathwing, and Garrosh to not be able to fly again, did we?

Did we? Because that'd be super lame. It's not retro. it's not hipster. It's not cool and more importantly than any of that? It's not fun. Maybe they could design the new zones such that flying is really dangerous - that would be just fine. Put lots of terrible flying creatures that will eat the hell out of you unless you're very lucky, and maybe they don't aggro on people at max level. That would also be ok even though it accomplishes much the same thing. But telling me I have to get someone's permission by buying a license or something when I've saved the world three times over? I'm done with that. I don't buy it anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who believe that a video game should be hard work should never be listened to. In this case gating the ability to fly behind a lot of reputation grinding is remarkably oblivious to what happened at the start of MoP with grinding reputation through dailies. Although worse because this is something that most everyone already has at end game.

Leveling to end game again at the beginning of an expansion is enough.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post

It's not. It's just a way to flaunt luck as a measure of epeen which is stupid. Similarly, and to tie this in to the topic that started this, having more gold to fly just shows you have gold. Considering that you can bot and buy your way to that feat, it's not really impressive to me. It's just a reproduction of a caste system from real life, which we have already determined is bad. It's one thing to have extravagance for wealth, that's fine.

But fundamental game mechanics tied to upper class status? Yeah no thanks.
    It would take a little time to get, and once you got it, you'd get it. Either you worked your way there before this, or you worked your way up after it was released.

If something could be learned from MoP people don't like to grind.
    So expect a major drop in subs. Just forget the idea of Timeless coin

50k is absurd. Not everyone has gold flowing out of every orifice. I'm sitting on about 5k across ALL of my characters right now, and you expect me to find ten times that just to fly on ONE character? Even if it were to unlock it for every character on that realm it's absurd. You gonna pay for my repairs, enchants, gemming, and reforges after that?

If they make it anywhere near that expensive I'll be canceling my sub outright. There's just no need for it to be that high. If you need to feel like you've accomplished something, get Blizzard to add more challenging things (further in the direction of challenge modes and the like) that don't completely screw over those of us who aren't interested.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I think he is talking about the whole 310% flying speed thing. Which was a reward from raiding. You couldn't buy that until much later.
    I knew what he was talking about, I was just mentioning that 310% wasn't introduced as a reward in Wrath, as it came with Rare mounts in TBC

I will quit if they do this. Personally I am sick of having to pay thousands of gold to be able to fly again. I hated that it took me 2 weeks of farming quests back in BC to get the 1k gold needed for flyer. Main reason I leveled a druid back then was free flying.

- - - Updated - - -

On the total opposite side of the spectrum I think once you buy flying, epic flying and 310 flying on 1 toon it should be account wide.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. There should be flying zones and no-flying zones, both should be designed accordingly.

Allow players to fly in flying zone without too much fuss.

You fly in zones designed for flying. You run on the ground for zones designed for that.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-10-24 at 04:39 PM.

How about there's an option to skip leveling period. It's unnecessary and just a pain.

A big price tag to fly in the zones might be okay... IF they make zones that don't require flying to access / get around in. The Vo4W, VoEB, and JF (to name a few) all had regions that would have been virtually inaccessible without flying. It was annoying enough to spend all the gold accumulated from basic questing on that character to afford flying, if you're going to make it super expensive, make it account-bound.

OP, please tell me you weren't one of the people who got upset with doing dailies for the MoP reps, the valor cap, or other "artificial" methods of making the game longer.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Deleted
    Yeah, because people loved the whole daily quest grind in MoP so lets make an other in the next expansion. People will love that! Or not. The two things most people hated about MoP was the fact that you were forced to do a lot of dailys and that MoP is so alt unfriendly. You think the best option would be to make the next expansion even more alt unfriendly? really?
    People hated dailies because you had to do them in order to get GEAR. They're a great content but gear shouldn't be a reward. And flying mount is not something that you MUST have to progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I knew what he was talking about, I was just mentioning that 310% wasn't introduced as a reward in Wrath, as it came with Rare mounts in TBC
    What rare mount in tbc had 310% flying speed? I don't remember one before the black proto-drake reward from naxx.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    People hated dailies because you had to do them in order to get GEAR. They're a great content but gear shouldn't be a reward. And flying mount is not something that you MUST have to progress.
    You didn't need the valor gear from vendors to progress either, but people still saw it as a required grind.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What rare mount in tbc had 310% flying speed? I don't remember one before the black proto-drake reward from naxx.

Ashes of Alar

Deleted
    so just because you dont know what to do with your money anymore, you want to buy the heavens for your purpose and enjoyment only? i really wonder where these elitist thoghts come from.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzilla3 View Post
    How about there's an option to skip leveling period. It's unnecessary and just a pain.
    They might as well since leveling really doesn't serve any purpose unlike in other games where the levels are the challenges themselves or are preludes to the challenges where they serve to introduce upcoming game mechanics in a "safe" environment.