Resilence Gem question.

Just wondering if it is worth useing resilience gems...thats all and while i'm at it, is it worth useing pvp power gems over main stat gems, for example as a hunter would i want to use a full pvp power gem over a full agility gem...i think full pvp power gems are 320 and agility is 160. But mainly I would like to know if resilience gems are worth gemming.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum bucket View Post
    Just wondering if it is worth useing resilience gems...thats all and while i'm at it, is it worth useing pvp power gems over main stat gems, for example as a hunter would i want to use a full pvp power gem over a full agility gem...i think full pvp power gems are 320 and agility is 160. But mainly I would like to know if resilience gems are worth gemming.
    Neither are good, PvP Power And Resil are both awful this teir and last, never gem for it be it pure 160 or 80/80, it's just terrible. The only time you would go with a FULL resil set where everything is 160 gems is when you know you are going to be trained start to finish, or an HPal playing against a good RMP.

If pvp power is bad then what would one put in a blue socket as a hunter?

Depends on the socket bonus and your other stats. If the socket bonus is +PvP Power then you'd just ignore it and go straight +160 Agi. If the socket bonus is +Agi then you'd get either Agi/Hit or Agi/PvP Power, if you don't need the hit.

agi/pvp power. its not bad, and if ur under hit you can do agi/hit, but if you dont need the hit, go agi/power

If blue socket bonus is agi, you could gem for agi/hit and then reforge hit on gear to another stat
    If socket bonus is pvp power ignore it

Resilience gems are fine. They give very similar mitigation per gem than they did pre-change. Remember that resil has diminishing returns, and you used to have thousands and thousands of it- enough to boost you up from 40% base resil. In that world, getting 320 resil off a gem was a decentish deal...

But in the current world, getting 160 off a gem is similar in survival granted, becuase your base resil RATING is SO LOW now, instead being bolstered by the base reduction.

PvP Power is a harder model, but generally the gems are weak. That being said, I think you should figure out expected damage to calculate cases that are hard: EG, socket bonus is PvP Power, kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Resilience gems are fine. They give very similar mitigation per gem than they did pre-change. Remember that resil has diminishing returns, and you used to have thousands and thousands of it- enough to boost you up from 40% base resil. In that world, getting 320 resil off a gem was a decentish deal...

But in the current world, getting 160 off a gem is similar in survival granted, becuase your base resil RATING is SO LOW now, instead being bolstered by the base reduction.

PvP Power is a harder model, but generally the gems are weak. That being said, I think you should figure out expected damage to calculate cases that are hard: EG, socket bonus is PvP Power, kind of thing.
    Resil is 72% baseline. And double PvP trinks give resil bonus, so gemming resil is a terrible idea. If you just play turtle the whole time with no pressure, the opposing team WILL kill you. PvP Power has been nerfed to hell, so the best option is to go with pure stats where you can get them.

Gemming power is a bad idea, but resilience not so much. I suggest reading the sticky.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...silience-Guide

Quote:
    As you can see the effective health returns of resilience are perfectly linear, adding 100 Resilience rating will always increase your effective health by 1.235% relative to your displayed health.

10+ Year Old Account
    No point gemming resil if you can't put out enough pressure or keep your team up. You get enough from base + trinkets. If you play resto shaman and know you will be tunneled all game by some mongoloid warrior, it might make sense to gem resil.

Quote Originally Posted by Aherooffools View Post
    Resil is 72% baseline. And double PvP trinks give resil bonus, so gemming resil is a terrible idea. If you just play turtle the whole time with no pressure, the opposing team WILL kill you. PvP Power has been nerfed to hell, so the best option is to go with pure stats where you can get them.

The baseline amount is irrelevant. You still get returns on investment.

Obviously not everyone should gem resil. Also, like almost every other post, it makes huge assumptions. With PvP gear, you are doing one of these things:

1- Battlegrounds.
    2- Rated Battlegrounds
    3- 2s as double dps
    4- 2s as healer dps
    5- 3s as triple dps
    6- Normal 3s
    7- 5s
    8- World PvP

Your assumption was something about a small number in arena and blah blah stall? Ok, well, maybe you want resil there or maybe not. But if you are planning to flag carry, you'll want some resil. And just in fucking general if you are the softest guy on your team and spend most of your game under pressure, resil has absolutely plenty to recommend it.

Power...

Shadowcraft, the rogue spreadsheet, has a PvP mode. In that mode, PvP Power is appropriately accounted for, as generally are all the stats- but most of the stats involve some PvE assumptions (haste rating, for example, is normally very good in rogue pve and rather poor in rogue pvp). In any event, you can see there that PvP Power is a bit under the halfway mark set by agility, but is up with the PvE stats. As such, the two blue gems on your PvP set- which I believe give 60 mainstat and 120 PvP Power, respectively- don't look like very bad deals at all. I found it a pretty compelling case for socketing those as purple agi/pvp power to meet the socket bonus, instead of straight agi. Obviously each class will be different, but PvP Power can be ok to make a socket bonus- it isn't trashcan, merely generally poor.