Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If only they would ban flying mounts in the next expansion, though only for that particular planet / continent / whatever we'll get. You would still be able to fly in all the older zones, just not in the new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I like traveling in MMOs, I like to fly up high and look down on the beautiful zones and remenis the quest and things I did there. I don't enjoy killing or avoiding the same mobs for the millionth time... I enjoy quaility of life in my MMOs.
    We have completely different ideas of what is enjoyable exploration then, my idea of it actually involves danger and the possibility of failure.

Look I enjoy RP but there is a difference in quaility of experience, killing savage bears isn't high on that list. Especially in a world filled with portalmage that could transfer me everywhere, so much for immersive gameplay, ey
    Portals and general teleportation is another issue I have already addressed. I feel that it's ok if it's kept down to something that is somewhat rare and only to certain locations. The current system of teleporting to dungeons, battlegrounds, arenas, everything, not so much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Strong and stable in-game economy. Happier and more engaging players as it would take longer to explore zones, do quests, farm mobs and crafting mats etc. More and better outdoor PVP and PVE. Probably less players though since it wouldn't be casual friendly anymore.
    How on earth does prolonged time doing quests and farming make you happier? Thought mindless quests and farming where the biggest obstacle for MMOs to pass for a better and more enjoyable experience. Engaging maybe in some cases talking in chat while doing these mindless tasks other than that don't see the big difference.

One thing I think of and thats....the world would be alot less....grand and epic. Think of all the things that would not seem as grand.

Since Flight was introduced in BC not many instances aside from TK needed flight to get to it. So aside from TK having "Light bridges" to access the ships, nothing would change...but Wrath is when flight training as a whole was embraced

Without flight, we wouldn't be able to fly up to the dread citadel of Naxxramus, over the chasm to the great titan halls of Ulduar, over the mountains to the Argent Crusade, or over the miles of minions infront of Icecrown Citadel would be cleared off to the side which make it seem like the huge battle being fought alot less grand.

Without Flight we would have to enter the dimensional tower of the Twilight Citadel from the ground, we would have to run all around the mountain to face Blackwing in his fortress. We would have to enter the skywall from...the ground? We would have to travel and swim in lava to face Rag in the Firelands.

Then Mogushan Vaults would not have been able to be on the side of a mountain.

Some pretty epic feeling moments were created when flight was introduced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    We have completely different ideas of what is enjoyable exploration then, my idea of it actually involves danger and the possibility of failure.

Portals and general teleportation is another issue I have already addressed. I feel that it's ok if it's kept down to something that is somewhat rare and only to certain locations. The current system of teleporting to dungeons, battlegrounds, arenas, everything, not so much.
    I very much think we do have very different looks on the matter I do play on a RP server in WoW and I do like immersion but as it is now I like the quaility of life that flying mounts give. And also again my example of running through the same zone and having to avoid the same mobs 10 months in a row is just not for me. Granted I do like Rift aswell (no flying mounts) but I just think their mob despersion is better for exploration and running through old zones.

But as you said it is far to late too remove but at least Blizzard have done some things to make up for it, the isles is the best example. I will also say that I think that flying could be better and more engaging, maybe zones after levelcap with huge mountains to explore or avoiding flying mobs that will slow you (not knock you off the mount).
    That or remove them (insane loss of subs) but make a far bigger expansion zone, like the size of classic and I would be content with that.

I don't understand how the world without flying mounts would not be "as beautiful" or not "as detailed" as some people in this thread suggest.

That is the most idiotic arguments.

Not as beautiful? I'd say even more beautiful. The devs wouldn't have to focus on every fucking hilltop, but focus more on thing people actually can see.
    Also what does the fact that you have badlands right next to snowy hills of Dun Morogh have to do with flying? It's still there.

Another point - you don't have to design the whole trees, because of what - because people can't see them, which means less polygons, which equals more FPS. Remember when you couldn't fly in Stormwind? the city was cut to districts, when you were let's say in the Trade district, the only part that were loaded were trade district and Cannals. Right now, the game needs to load the whole place - because of flying mounts.

What does that all mean? The game would actually be MORE detailed (and beautiful and run more smoother).

Also if you were playing "back then", you surely remember how special it felt when you hillclimbed to some place nobody else knew about and how exciting this exploring felt.
    Last edited by Toobad; 2013-10-25 at 10:34 AM.

if I want to walk everywhere, getting slowed down by every mob that manages to tag me, I would go play GW2
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    How on earth does prolonged time doing quests and farming make you happier? Thought mindless quests and farming where the biggest obstacle for MMOs to pass for a better and more enjoyable experience. Engaging maybe in some cases talking in chat while doing these mindless tasks other than that don't see the big difference.
    Longer time completing/exploring content=Less time doing nothing between patches=Happier people.
    Also a sense of accomplishment when you have to spend more time grinding for something or leveling your toon.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-10-25 at 10:40 AM.

Deleted
    Longer time completing/exploring content=Less time doing nothing between patches=Happier people.
    Strange, thought asian MMOs, who were know for their prolonged leveling and grinding, were hated for this exact point.

Outland/northrend/cata/mop whould feel slot larger.
    Icc whouldnt feel rediculus (why take battlement after battlement when we can fly straight to icc?!).
    Stormpeaks whould be epic all them mountains
    Places in outland such as skettis/ogrila/netherwing whould have been new and exciting when they were introduced.
    Cata expansion whouldnt have felt so small.

pretty much every zone whould have felt more alive, larger and you whould ahve been more familiarized with it. the immersion of the game whould ahve been higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzlewits View Post
    i would have quit ages ago.
    I wouldn't go so far as to quit. I remember running all the fuck around the old map with no flying mount from classic to LK. It's a pita, and stopped me from going to those places when I hit level cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Outland/northrend/cata/mop whould feel slot larger.
    Icc whouldnt feel rediculus (why take battlement after battlement when we can fly straight to icc?!).
    Stormpeaks whould be epic all them mountains
    Places in outland such as skettis/ogrila/netherwing whould have been new and exciting when they were introduced.
    Cata expansion whouldnt have felt so small.

pretty much every zone whould have felt more alive, larger and you whould ahve been more familiarized with it. the immersion of the game whould ahve been higher.
    Yes it would. And after a month exploring all that, how excited would you be having to ride through the same group of mobs for the millionth time?

Deleted
    Strange, thought asian MMOs, who were know for their prolonged leveling and grinding, were hated for this exact point.
    There's more at play than just being grindy. ALL, literally EVERY Asian MMO has super lame and boring combat. It's stiff and special moves are almost always sequenced, meaning you lose control of your character. How fun is it to grind when the game overall is utter dogshit? WoW actually have fun gameplay and combat which makes grinding so much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-10-25 at 10:49 AM.

Deleted
    There's more at play than just being grindy. ALL, literally EVERY Asian MMO has super lame and boring combat. It's stiff and special moves are almost always a sequence,meaning you lose control of your character. How fun is it to grind when the game overall is utter dogshit? WoW actually have fun gameplay and combat which makes grinding so much more enjoyable.
    Fair point. However spamming my rotation 100 times for every single crafting material isn't what I would call enjoyable. I think it comes down to how tolerant people are to repetion, I am not, hence why I like the flying mounts (quaility of life)

Extremely boring and tedious going from the end of one zone to the other end of the continent; time wasting.

Deleted
    Fair point. However spamming my rotation 100 times for every single crafting material isn't what I would call enjoyable. I think it comes down to how tolerant people are to repetition, I am not, hence why I like the flying mounts (quality of life)
    I actually agree with you. Removing flying mounts now would be suicide for WoW and it's not a good idea. You can't give something and then take it back. But if flying mounts were NEVER implemented in the first place then I think the WoW community would have been a happier bunch.

Deleted
    I actually agree with you. Removing flying mounts now would be suicide for WoW and it's not a good idea. You can't give something and then take it back. But if flying mounts were NEVER implemented in the first place then I think the WoW community would have been a happier bunch.
    Hard to say really. It might have lost them 2 million subscibers more over the years do to people not enjoying the obstacle of traveling through mobs and terrain?

Deleted
    Hard to say really. It might have lost them 2 million subscibers more over the years do to people not enjoying the obstacle of traveling through mobs and terrain?
    Yeah absolutely. A big chunk of Blizzards subscribers are due to the game being so casual friendly. Not adding flying mounts would probably have lead to many of those casual players never subscribing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    Another point - you don't have to design the whole trees, because of what - because people can't see them, which means less polygons, which equals more FPS. Remember when you couldn't fly in Stormwind? the city was cut to districts, when you were let's say in the Trade district, the only part that were loaded were trade district and Cannals. Right now, the game needs to load the whole place - because of flying mounts.
    Pretty sure even if the WoW engine is 9 years old, it still has the ability to pre-render (an absolut minimal requirement of performance) and not render what you don't look at, performance issues aren't because of rendering big parts it is an issue with an engine running graphics beyong its meassures.

Also I remember flying posts, they weren't know for their scenic route through 12 polygon trees.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah absolutely. A big chunk of Blizzards subscribers are due to the game being so casual friendly. Not adding flying mounts would probably have lead to many of those casual players never subscribing.
    Maybe, I think people just need to come to terms with the direction Blizzard choose to pull WoW in, or all in all find another MMO more to their liking

I think that the real problem is flying speed. Back when only ashes and arena mounts maxed out things were much better.