Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is my guild's Rogue padding or is AOE a slight DPS increase for Single Target

Hello Rogue's of MMO-Champion. I am a raid leader for a 25 man guild and an argument keeps cropping up with a Rogue in my guild.

Last night we were doing 25Man Paragons of the Klaxxi and I noticed that one of the 9 bosses was dieing really, really fast, when he wasn't close to priority (was Hisek, who we kill 4th and we were on 2nd person (Skeer))

I quickly look at damage on Hisek and notice that 70% of it is our Rogue, who was Blade Flurrying

I asked him about it after raid and he claims,

Verbatim:
    "When I pop my cool downs I am capping my energy so there is no reason to not AOE, and Blade Flurry increases my single target damage by procing Main Gauche which increases my agility"

Now I know very little about rogues, only leveling one to 55 so far, so could anyone give me some insight on whether this is a legit excuse for AOEing needlessly and padding and he is just jerking my chain so he can rank or if it does indeed also boost single target damage by cleaving.

World of Logs:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/bbrbo...s=9445&e=10069

There is a log post of the kill

Thank you, Zil

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak about rogues, but I definitely keep and extra SW:P or two runnning whenever I can for more DI procs. It's a 1-2 gcd cost for a sizable 5-10k increase.

As a warlock, I also keep Immolate and/or Rain of Fire on the other targets to boost my ember regeneration which let's me throw out more Chaos Bolts thus increasing my single target damage. So, it sounds like a legit thought process BUT looking at the tool tip for Blade Flurry and Main Gauche, I'm not sure it would work that way for a rogue.

I haven't played my rogue much at all lately, and even when I did I wasn't that great at it, so I can't attest to whether its true or not. I'm sure an active rogue will chime in at some point to confirm/deny though.

Blade Flurry is his #1 damaging spell at 18.8%. This is pure, unadulterated meter-padding on this fight.

Deleted
    I am not sure how blade flurry works with RPPM procs but having blade flurry up does not generate more Main Gauche procs since it just copies the damage and spreads it to nearby targets afaik. And by judging of his 61% uptime on bladeflurry he is not just using it with cooldowns either so he is padding the meters.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=76806/

Mastery: Main Gauche
    Requires Rogue (Combat)
    Requires level 80
    Your main-hand attacks have a 16% chance to grant you an attack that deals damage equal to 120% of a main-hand attack.

Main Gauche has nothing to do with increasing agility and using blade flurry is a dps increase only on multiple targets. It does nothing to increase single target damage. Your rogue either does not know his class or is jerking your around to pad his numbers.

Check the rotation recommendations for combat rogue over at Icy Veins or Noxxic. They both recommend using Blade Furry only on multiple targets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CodeConqueror View Post
    As a warlock, I also keep Immolate and/or Rain of Fire on the other targets to boost my ember regeneration which let's me throw out more Chaos Bolts thus increasing my single target damage. So, it sounds like a legit thought process BUT looking at the tool tip for Blade Flurry and Main Gauche, I'm not sure it would work that way for a rogue.

I haven't played my rogue much at all lately, and even when I did I wasn't that great at it, so I can't attest to whether its true or not. I'm sure an active rogue will chime in at some point to confirm/deny though.
    I was going to say the same thing regarding warlock and Rain of Fire. That is the only class that I've played where an AoE spell is actually part of your single target rotation because of the ember generation/chaos bolt mechanic. Although, since 5.4, it seems questionable whether Rain of Fire should remain in the single target rotation. Noxxic says no, Icy Veins say only if it will hit a target for the full 8 seconds, AND you benefit from extra haste (trinket proc, Time Warp Icon Time Warp, etc.).

Is this causing wipes? If not who cares?

Definitely scumbagging. He's gimping his single target DPS by running BF and his reasoning is just... wrong. He shouldn't be energy capping after the T15 4pc nerf and SS cost increase, main gauche doesn't proc off BF swings and you get fewer procs during BF because decreased special usage due to decreased energy gen. Oh, and it doesn't give agi. It does extra damage and procs Combat Potency.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes he is padding, theres no reason for poping blade fury on this fight whatsoever as the damage he does to secondary targets dosnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    yes he is padding, theres no reason for poping blade fury on this fight whatsoever as the damage he does to secondary targets dosnt matter.
    ^ Yup!

OP, Tell your friend to name change to Kotex, because he's all about padding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
    Ummmm your raid leader because you're delaying killing the boss by doing lower single target dps. If you were going for world rankings then fine but I don't think this is going to be breaking any records.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Holy crap 10 min Paragons fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Padding to get a 140 rank? Jeez, and I thought I was overly focused on ranking (made evident when I raged when someone wisp costumed me on Tuesday @.@, reaching character limit on Sinister Strike macro for /cancelauras.)

Yeah, he's purely padding. I got called out for padding for using the cleave trinket on all fights (especially Paragons and Garrosh), but that's because I can't stand RPPM trinket variations and since picked up a fantastic Haromm's.

Deleted
    Blade Flurry is a DPS decrease on single target, as it decreases your energy regeneration. It also does not proc Main Gauche, which also does nothing to your agility. There is absolutely no point in using it on Paragons, other than topping the meters with useless damage.

I came in here expecting your rogue to be assassination... BF is always a single target dps loss. Now last tier, especially with lust, you could still spend all your globals, and if there was more than 1 mob, you had to have BF on for killing spree as it would jump you around to different targets.

That said, next time I don't sit for paragons, I'm going to leave mine on the whole time... so many people have been scumbagging that fight in my raid and if you can't beat em, join em.

Awesome, thank you everyone for your useful input. Very appreciated.

Fellow padders unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Zili View Post
    Verbatim:
    "When I pop my cool downs I am capping my energy so there is no reason to not AOE, and Blade Flurry increases my single target damage by procing Main Gauche which increases my agility"l
    it was all just bad until here, where it takes a turn to the worse. Does he do drugs?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like another meter-Padder has reared it's disgusting head to try and defend the childish actions of it's brethren