Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Getting entire raid to use an extra addon

Officer core in my raid (myself included) is considering trying out the Angry Assignments addon. It would replace us having to maintain countless macros for bosses, eg. groups for getting Purified on Norushen, healing cooldown orders for Iron Juggernaut, etc. Has anyone ever experienced backlash from "requiring" your raiders to have a certain addon that isn't a raiding staple like DBM or Bigwigs? I'm hoping that once the majority of people have it, since it's a very set-it-and-forget-it type of thing for the majority of the raid that it won't cause too many waves.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had an issue with it. I try to make reasonable requests of my raid and in return, they follow them because they are reasonable.

Unless the addon causes something like crashes or horrific lag for some people, I would think it would be a nonissue for people to do what their raid leader asks of them in this respect.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you're raiding heroic modes, you can probably expect a little more compliance with something like this, as opposed to a guild that runs exclusively Flex or Normal content, where such a request may be seen as a little over the top.

Deleted
    It really really really dependso n your raiders.... somepople are willing to do more then others

Eh getting 25 people + reserves to get on board seems like a challenge.

I personally think it depends on the individual and how open your raid is. I know I would probably be pissed off and not want to use it.

Okay short story time. I was in my first ever guild in Cata, after hitting 85 and like a month of gearing up. Probably more. I wasn't as hot as I am now since I didn't fully grasp the game on a deep level but I could execute my rotation and follow some guides and do some simple math, so I was the top DPS in the 10m guild for T11 by a small margin. It wasn't a great group. We cleared 12/12 normal like right before nerfs hit, so only like 2 weeks before Firelands. (The group sucked to be honest, even I wasn't that great back then.)

So as we were progressing the raid leader had this personality of loving to look over logs to see how we/they (before I raided) could improve. And since progress sucked she had plenty of time to do so. She was honestly weak and wanted us to do stupid things, like follow askmrrobot.com 'so reforging/stat weights like it was the fucking bible.

ANYWAY there was some add on she wanted us to download. OH now I remember. It was an add on that told you if you were stepping in fire. And I was like, well I didn't say it out loud but in my head, there's no fucking way I'm downloading something like that. If I'm a fucking fire pool is beneath me I'll move. I never did download it. But this super weak DK in the guild actually did download it and was like "wow I didn't realize how much fire I was stepping in before" and I'm thinking yeah because you're fucking bad. I carried DPS lol. Not hard, but enough.

Anyway ya, it'll depend on if the raider thinks it'll help, if he actually takes the initiative to set it up, and if it won't mess with his UI.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Eh getting 25 people + reserves to get on board seems like a challenge.

I personally think it depends on the individual and how open your raid is. I know I would probably be pissed off and not want to use it.

Okay short story time. I was in my first ever guild in Cata, after hitting 85 and like a month of gearing up. Probably more. I wasn't as hot as I am now since I didn't fully grasp the game on a deep level but I could execute my rotation and follow some guides and do some simple math, so I was the top DPS in the 10m guild for T11 by a small margin. It wasn't a great group. We cleared 12/12 normal like right before nerfs hit, so only like 2 weeks before Firelands. (The group sucked to be honest, even I wasn't that great back then.)

So as we were progressing the raid leader had this personality of loving to look over logs to see how we/they (before I raided) could improve. And since progress sucked she had plenty of time to do so. She was honestly weak and wanted us to do stupid things, like follow askmrrobot.com 'so reforging/stat weights like it was the fucking bible.

ANYWAY there was some add on she wanted us to download. OH now I remember. It was an add on that told you if you were stepping in fire. And I was like, well I didn't say it out loud but in my head, there's no fucking way I'm downloading something like that. If I'm a fucking fire pool is beneath me I'll move. I never did download it. But this super weak DK in the guild actually did download it and was like "wow I didn't realize how much fire I was stepping in before" and I'm thinking yeah because you're fucking bad. I carried DPS lol. Not hard, but enough.

Anyway ya, it'll depend on if the raider thinks it'll help, if he actually takes the initiative to set it up, and if it won't mess with his UI.
    This reads like someone having a conversation with themselves.

OT: If it's something that is going to give me information that is relevant to my role in the raid, I'll get it and I'd assume other heroic raiders would think the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ...I never did download [GTFO]. But this super weak DK in the guild actually did download it and was like "wow I didn't realize how much fire I was stepping in before" and I'm thinking yeah because you're fucking bad. I carried DPS lol. Not hard, but enough.
    I personally use that one, and I would suggest it for any melee or tank-- it's not because I'm bad, it's because as melee you can have times where you can't see the fire because there are ten other AoE spell effects underfoot and it's just not noticeable when the boss adds one more to the pile until you see your health dropping, or because everyone is stacked up behind the boss and you can't see the ground. And this isn't just my problem-- I see people move out of healer AoE all the time because they assume it's bad, and I have died spectacularly twice to mistaking a boss' AoE for an ally's AoE [1].

As ranged or a healer, it's a lot more obvious that you're standing in fire because you don't have every AoE in the raid underfoot already and you're almost always able to spread out more.

[1]-- Once on the guy who uses Death and Decay with a graphic that's pretty much identical to the DK one in Hyjal; that mechanic deals x% of your maximum health per second and can still kill you rather quickly, especially when you're foggy on the exact mechanics but assume that nothing in the instance will do more than tickle. The other was the first time I fought Benedictus; I was low on health and mistook his shiny gold damaging AoE for something the priest healer had put down, ran into it for healing, and died. (It's the sort of mistake you only make the first time you run a boss; fortunately, the group got a good laugh out of it.)

What my guild does is just have a google document up with all the assignments for whatever boss up on them. The main leader can just change things to whatever he needs. Its been working pretty great and nobody needs an extra addon, you just send people the link.

10+ Year Old Account
    tbh if someone wants me to install an addon and i dont really want it/do not think it is at all necessary, i will just pretend to go along with it without actually agreeing to download it and letting people assume that i have downloaded it. i mean we will find out pretty fast how necessary it really was.

but i think you should probably start cleaning up your roster (or finding another group to play with. or like, i guess sitting people who cant download an addon and telling them their spot is up for grabs by trials if they cannot do what they are being asked to do. you know, something.) if you really feel like it is that important to consolidating the raid into a cohesive unit and people are resisting.

but no i cant say i've ever seen a "backlash". like, maybe if it was the dbm version they put out when ony was rehashed, because i remember asking who the fuck was acting like such a bitch in vent since i had never seen the 50 dkp minus thing before. but other than that, unless there are addons that are actually that annoying, i can't imagine why anyone would make a big deal about downloading an addon

like me i dont make a big deal about it... i just wouldn't do it unless it was actually that important

i mean you're a 25 heroic guild, people downloading an addon shouldnt really be a problem

We just use Weakauras. Don't really know any HM raiders who don't use it. Looks identical to Angry Assignments layout and you can just link the Weakaura in game and everyone gets it instantly. Helped alot for Heroic Thok so I didn't have to call out raid CDs for 65 attempts. You can also use trigger words to make it pop up or else it will be disabled. For example for our Thok raid cd rotation we use the trigger "Thok", you type Thok in raid chat and the weakaura pops up. But ya if your worried about having people DL an addon, I would estimate at least 80% of your raiders use Weakauras......... #yolo

WeakAuras is missing a lot of features that AA has, though, which is why we wrote it (read the full description on the Curse page that the OP linked). Also, there are extremely legit alternatives to WeakAuras that some people prefer to use instead, such as TellMeWhen.

For a guild that's 9/14H, nobody should have issues with you requiring an addon as long as you have reasonable justification for it. Also, to the poster who said that people can just "pretend" to have an addon, with AA you can do "/aa version" to get a list of who in your raid is not running it.
    Last edited by Stingray; 2013-10-26 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue you're going to have is when you have to fill a slot and your pug doesn't have the add-on. If you raid with the same 10 or 25 every week, I think you can get people to get on board. If you pug the last few slots on a regular basis then I wouldn't bother.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

AA wouldn't work with puggers, regardless of whether they installed the addon or not. Assignment pages are only shared to guild members.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Officer core in my raid (myself included) is considering trying out the Angry Assignments addon. It would replace us having to maintain countless macros for bosses, eg. groups for getting Purified on Norushen, healing cooldown orders for Iron Juggernaut, etc. Has anyone ever experienced backlash from "requiring" your raiders to have a certain addon that isn't a raiding staple like DBM or Bigwigs? I'm hoping that once the majority of people have it, since it's a very set-it-and-forget-it type of thing for the majority of the raid that it won't cause too many waves.
    Yes, I have required addons in the past. Yes there has been blow back. Of course the addon you are mentining seems to be something that you can easily set up in your raid frames, over voice chat, and have in place before you ever step into the fight.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I feel any raider worth a raid spot will understand why you are asking to download that addon, and any heroic raider will download it without hesitation.

After all it's pretty much obvious it's just a way of automating work for the RL

10+ Year Old Account
    does that addon have a version check?
    /dbm ver

returns whether people have the addon and what version it is returns if they don't have it, as not installed)
    if that addon has it, tell people to get it.
    when they don't bench them and ask politely for them to download it (a second time, and in a whisper, no reason to call them out in front of guild)
    they will either get it, or keep getting benched.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people in your group refuse to download the addon they don't raid. This a Herioc Raiding Guild players should be listen to their Raid Leader & do what he asks always even if it means downloading the addon.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    If people in your group refuse to download the addon they don't raid. This a Herioc Raiding Guild players should be listen to their Raid Leader & do what he asks always even if it means downloading the addon.
    Pretty much this, as long as the addon isn't broken or intrusive then there's no excuse for not having it.

If they don't respect you enough to do as you ask, find new people. I called a 10 minute break after our first Lei Shen kill with the instruction that everyone got Ra-Den Assist before they went for a drink or whatever. 10 minutes later, they all have it and we're starting the brief. It's really not a big deal when your team has the right attitude.

Yep.

Unless raiding with same group of set people for Heroic kills, this is an acceptable expectation.

If raiding Normals, or possibly having to pug... I wouldn't even bother.

If people are mature and goal oriented why would they have a problem with using an add on to help them achieve those goals?