Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

No more cowboys or indians.

University Bans Cowboy, Indian and Other Halloween Costumes Claiming They’re Offensive.

Popular costumes such as a Latino man with a sombrero and a poncho or dressing up as a Japanese geisha will be frowned upon by some this Halloween.

A group of ten students, all members of the Students Teaching Against Racism in Society (STARS) at Ohio University, have launched a campaign protesting what they perceive to be racist Halloween costumes.

Their campaign's slogan: "We're a culture, not a costume."

University of Colorado’s dean of students dropped the wimp hammer and cowered to political correctness. No more cowboys and indians at the Halloween bash.

University students in America have been told not to wear “offensive” halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid “white trash” costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as “over-sexualised”- which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a “squaw” (indigenous woman).

They are also asked not to host parties with offensive themes including those with “ghetto” or “hillbilly” themes or those associated with “crime or sex work.”

In the letter sent by a university official students are asked to consider the impact that their costumes could have.

Christina Gonzales, the dean of students, wrote: “Making the choice to dress up as someone from another culture, either with the intention of being humorous or without the intention of being disrespectful, can lead to inaccurate and hurtful portrayals of other people’s cultures.

Are these people serious?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ween-costumes/

Deleted
    It was utter shock for me when I arrived in Japan only to realise the people weren't actually animated.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    It was utter shock for me when I arrived in Japan only to realise the people weren't actually animated.
    You should really put a spoiler alert or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live about 40 minutes from OSU and it is stupid how much I see these goddamn things. I feel sorry for people who claim to be so easily offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I live about 40 minutes from OSU and it is stupid how much I see these goddamn things. I feel sorry for people who claim to be so easily offended.
    These will be our future leaders.

What if you dress up as a 100% historically accurate version of a cowboy, Indian, geisha, whatever? I can understand stereotypical costumes that are not historically accurate but you cant dress up as them at all? Are there really any cowboys that will be offended?

Some people are too sensitive, its Halloween, nobody is making fun of you. BTW everyone wears a costume every day. Business people wear a suit costume, soldiers wear a military uniform costume, ect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I don't. I hope their feelings are hurt as much as my brain hurts right now. Time for a purge! Where is Arthas or Deathwing when you need them?

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    What if you dress up as a 100% historically accurate version of a cowboy, Indian, geisha, whatever?
    Then you are a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imoldgregg View Post
    I don't. I hope their feelings are hurt as much as my brain hurts right now. Time for a purge! Where is Arthas or Deathwing when you need them?
    When I said that i think I meant I feel sorry for me. I am the type of person who loves to piss off people who get offended easily. My ex wife's dad had a serious man crush on Christopher Reeves, and cried, a 65 year old man cried. So i went to his Halloween party as Superman in a Wheelchair. Not that i cared he never liked me anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    Coming in stereotypical costumes is half the fun ! what's wrong with these people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Are there really any cowboys that will be offended?
    coming from someone who spent a year and a half working on an beef cattle ranch in montana, Any publicity is good, populations out there are declining drastically and they are desperate for more people. If people are aware that cowboys exist, then it is more likely more people will consider it as a profession.

All in all no cowboys will be offended.

also i rather kill myself than see another cowboy, or anything to do with ranching ^.^

15+ Year Old Account
    This just in: Dressing as a witch... Offends real witches!

Also those two person horse outfits...

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    -snip-
    I would so go as an Indian Cowboy with a Sombrero.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I would so go as an Indian Cowboy with a Sombrero.
    A sexy sombrero, be a rebel.

I think you could voice distaste at stereotypical costumes, but you're going too far when you go out and physically prevent people from dressing the way they want to on halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post

Also those two person horse outfits...
    <---- As a horse, I am incredibly offended. We are a species, not a costume!
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-10-27 at 07:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    You realise you dug up news that are 2 years old?

15+ Year Old Account
    What if you dress as just a 6' sombrero, is that still offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    You realise you dug up news that are 2 years old?
    Yeah there are newer articles but they all lead back to these and since its halloween and all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hattai View Post
    What if you dress as just a 6' sombrero, is that still offensive?
    Hats might want a word with you.

Deleted
    You'd think the digital age, with it's global, anonymous communication, would encourage people to grow thicker skins, but people seem to get their feelings hurt much more easily or public discourse (charged with a constant need for political correctness) has made it easier to whine on a bigger and louder scale.

Personally, I'd find an American student dressing up as a 'Brit' with hideous false teeth, a red coat and a large teapot to be hilarious or, being a Leftist, something like this equally so (I don't really identify with any cultural niches, so that's the best I can think of). I think people need to shift their outlook to see that humour or novelty had at one's expense is actually a compliment because it can show that people view you as an equal and, as such, an equally valid target for ridicule. That's why I think Timmy and Jimmy on South Park are actually positive (even empowering) characters, rather than 'offensive' or malicious ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yeah there are newer articles but they all lead back to these and since its halloween and all.
    You don't really need to worry about that campaign, it has been thoroughly mocked every year.