Poll: What is the Timewalker feature?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Timewalker Instances?

So what do you make of the Timewalker news on the front page?

"Timewalker" is classified as an instance type, with the highest number classification (44), indicating that it is simply the newest type. Heroic Scenarios is classified as 43, while Mists of Pandaria raids are 41 and 40.

The news post speculates (with the added screenshot) that it is likely for downscaling in old dungeons.

But what does it mean that it's in the files now, at this point? It is quite possibly a feature for the future, as nothing is officially announced and it isn't used in the game at this point - but is it the last of the teased major features from Mists of Pandaria, or is it the first feature of Expansion 5?

Helen Cheng, Quest Designer

> On why the Bronze Dragonflight has a presence on the Timeless Isle.
    > Translated from Spanish.

"I don't know if may I can answer that (laughs). There's a reason, there's a reason (lot of laughs)."
    We know something is blocking the Bronze flight's vision of the future. Obscuring it.

I don't think the next expansion will be based around time-travelling, but I think it's likely that this all means that a new way of running instances will be Timewalker. It'll unlock literally every old dungeon in the game to us, rid Blizzard of the demand to remake them all as HC, and put less pressure on Blizzard to make as many new dungeons in the future.

They'd probably prefer giving us scenarios instead, to tell the initial lore of an expansion in instanced form, rather than dungeons. After all, nearly all dungeons in recent years have felt very forced and linear, with little attention to detail and complexity.
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2013-10-27 at 06:56 PM.

None of these poll options are applicable. It's just scaling your level down to do older content. That's all. It's not exclusively to use with recruited friends, challenge modes, etc. They've already talked about it in 5.4 interviews.

I think its just a sub-feature of the next expansion. It doesnt necessarily mean the next expansion is timewalker/infinite based, but merely they are just using this as a kindof ingame lore explanation for why its possible for us to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    None of these poll options are applicable. It's just scaling your level down to do older content. That's all. It's not exclusively to use with recruited friends, challenge modes, etc. They've already talked about it in 5.4 interviews.
    The poll option doesn't say 'exclusive to use with challenge modes'. It says LIKE a Challenge mode, i.e. a new mode of dungeons that is difficult since it scales you down.

Deleted
    I'm guessing that this will debut in Patch 5.5 - were it part of the new expansion there's no way it'd be in game yet. I'm interested as to what the story justifications here will be (it definitely seems like there'll be some.). Time travel of course, but why are the Timewalkers just letting us go to any point in the past we want to farm dungeons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe we are the ones that watch over the Timelines now & the Bronze Dragonflight lead us on missions.

Imagine that having a list of missions everyday & complete certain events to help them out? Weither its solo or party / raid.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I agree that it's probably just a lore based justification to down-level and play with friends. Or another daily dungeon type of thing, where you're thrown into any of the 75+ dungeons, and are scaled appropriately. They've acknowledged at a few points that the capability is there, and it'd be nice to implement, especially given the popularity of the RAF program.

*shrug*
    Last edited by Bashkar; 2013-10-27 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Imagine that having a list of missions everyday & complete certain events to help them out? Weither its solo or party / raid.
    So basically... dailies?

Deleted
    Personally, I'd love to see some sort of Legacy currency to go with this.

Maybe you get Legacy points for doing old dungeons and raids, which could then be used to purchase armour and weapons from the past. Ridding you of the need to farm a specific old dungeon over and over (without any challenge) just to find a specific item from a specific boss.

But there'd have to be some sort of relevant reward to it that also progresses your character. They wouldn't just make it harder for us to get old transmogrification gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mojo, I think that is a great idea for legacy points. There also is a great chance to see this in Random Heroic queue so rewarding valor/JP upon completion. I would also love to see the Weekly Raid quest come back next expansion and have it open to all raids.

Deleted
    It is the exact same feature that is described in the post. Scale down your level and stats for low level dungeons. Don't expect the name "timewalker" to have any lore implications. It's just a fancy name because technically, when you're doing low level dungeons, you're going back in time.
    Last edited by mmocfe122ee89c; 2013-10-27 at 08:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
    It is the exact same feature that is described in the post. Scale down your level and stats for low level dungeons. Don't expect the name "timewalker" to have any lore implications. It's just a fancy name because technically, when you're doing low level dungeons, you're going back in time.
    So there's a new faction called the Timewalkers in the lore. There's also a new dungeon type called Timewalkers. And these two have nothing to do with one another? Oookay.

If there was no lore implication, why not just call them scaled dungeons? Timewalker suggests that there'll be some questline or other explaining why we're going back in time. I expect it'll be something vague so we have the freedom to go to whatever scaled dungeon we want. For example let's say there are rogue Bronze Dragons messing up the timeways, so the Timewalkers allow us to go back in time. But we've no idea which dungeons they'll appear in so we're free to scale down to any dungeon we like. When they do appear they appear as a bonus boss and drop some sort of currency to buy stuff from Timewalker vendors.
    Last edited by mmoce35ea8b457; 2013-10-27 at 09:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    So there's a new faction called the Timewalkers in the lore. There's also a new dungeon type called Timewalkers. And these two have nothing to do with one another? Oookay.

If there was no lore implication, why not just call them scaled dungeons? Timewalker suggests that there'll be some questline or other explaining why we're going back in time. I expect it'll be something vague so we have the freedom to go to whatever scaled dungeon we want. For example let's say there are rogue Bronze Dragons messing up the timeways, so the Timewalkers allow us to go back in time. But we've no idea which dungeons they'll appear in so we're free to scale down to any dungeon we like. When they do appear they appear as a bonus boss and drop some sort of currency to buy stuff from TImewalker vendors.
    If we're actually going back in time, why would our level scale down? Then it's not time-traveling, it's reliving moments from your own past.
    Last edited by mmocfe122ee89c; 2013-10-27 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    If we're actually going back in time, why would our level scale down? Then it's not time-traveling, it's reliving moments from your own past.
    Because lore-wise, it was a group of level 55-60 heroes which cleared out Stratholme for instance. I'm assuming we're going back either as our former selves, or as the heroes which were actually there. Or maybe it's just an unexplained technicality.

normal mode challenge modes is my guess
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Because levels are not actually part of the lore. Arthas is more powerful than the level 90 Virmin hopping around Pandaria. The level scaling is just a game mechanic (rather than scaling all of mobs and such up, which might be much more complex). The lore would be us going back in time. I ask again - if there's no lore explanation here, why name it after an in-lore faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post

If there was no lore implication, why not just call them scaled dungeons? Timewalker suggests that there'll be some questline or other explaining why we're going back in time. I expect it'll be something vague so we have the freedom to go to whatever scaled dungeon we want. For example let's say there are rogue Bronze Dragons messing up the timeways, so the Timewalkers allow us to go back in time. But we've no idea which dungeons they'll appear in so we're free to scale down to any dungeon we like. When they do appear they appear as a bonus boss and drop some sort of currency to buy stuff from Timewalker vendors.
    maybe you can do it with your friends who are lower lvl as well.

the lore justification is "your friend who you havent met yet in the past is having trouble, go back in time and help him" yadda yadda yadda
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Confirmed:
    Don't do this. Tomorrow's headlines: WoW INFINITE CONFIRMED!!111one according to MMO-Champion!