Question Patching WoW from University

Hi there,

I attend university in the UK, at Nottingham to be precise, and I live on campus. As expected, the University internet has certain security protocols. By in large they are fairly relaxed, I've never had any issue connecting to a game server, but when it comes to downloading/patching Blizzard games I get blocked. I went home last weekend to download the WoW client, and have been playing it just fine for a couple of days, but now I need to patch it and my university (understandably) won't open ports in the firewall just for gaming.

Does anyone know any other methods for patching the game besides connecting to the Blizzard patch servers? Are there any other options to download up to date client patches than the Blizzard servers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

xoxo
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

you should be able to find other sites that offer the patch as a download then put the file into your wow folder and run the updater.

I know this use to work as it was my preferred way to get patches back in the day because it was way way faster but its been years so things could have changed in its availability

Quote Originally Posted by Bookofblade View Post
    you should be able to find other sites that offer the patch as a download then put the file into your wow folder and run the updater.

I know this use to work as it was my preferred way to get patches back in the day because it was way way faster but its been years so things could have changed in its availability
    Cool, I can find mirrors around and about for every patch up to and including 5.4.0, any experience with roughly how long it takes for patches to become available elsewhere?
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

Deleted
    The other option is get a friend to stick wow on a HD and copy your WTF/Interface to it

Are you using the Battle.net desktop client?

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Are you using the Battle.net desktop client?
    Yes, think that could be the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    Yes, think that could be the issue?

Click on the "beta" icon in the top left corner of the Battle.net launcher > Settings > Game Install/Update > Scroll all the way down and uncheck "enable peer to peer".

Close the launcher, reopen. Try it. Let me know how it turns out.

Click on the "beta" icon in the top left corner of the Battle.net launcher > Settings > Game Install/Update > Scroll all the way down and uncheck "enable peer to peer".

Close the launcher, reopen. Try it. Let me know how it turns out.
    No effect, thanks for trying though.

Do you play on the EU or NA client?

Do you play on the EU or NA client?
    EU, bunch of friends in Norway got me to play again.

I don't know anything about EU. It's an extremely small patch. Can't you find a public network to connect to? Someone's cell phone used as a hotspot?

Alternatively, depending on how technical you are:

http://patchup.info/wow/tfil/EU/

I don't know anything about EU. It's an extremely small patch. Can't you find a public network to connect to? Someone's cell phone used as a hotspot?

Alternatively, depending on how technical you are:

http://patchup.info/wow/tfil/EU/
    Firstly, I'd rather find a solution to this problem now, rather than have a short term fix because it's a small patch. Future patches will be larger, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Secondly, before trying the patchup.info thing, I uninstalled the battle.net beta agent and tried with just the wow launcher. The launcher reports the game as up to date, but when I log on the client tells my my game needs updating, in a neverending cycle.

I tried the patchup.info thing, no change in situation, same thing happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I managed to get the MPQ files (one for the updates folder one from the data folder) from a friend, but the launcher won't patch, it still insists that it's up to date. Any suggestions?