58 33.72%
  • Yes -- I'm not American

14 8.14%
  • No -- I'm not American

64 37.21%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    The person in question is using a racist act (in USA) to profit. My question was not comparing the 2, but the anger each caused, and how one caused pain, and the other grief.
    We're asking why black face causes grief? 9/11 was 12 years ago; a bunch of people are alive now who still remember the hurt and the pain and the shock of the incident, who lost loved ones because of it. What has blackface done to anyone living now? Do we still live in a society where blackface is being widely used negatively? It's like when people demand justice for what happened to their ancestors even though the world is a different and much more tolerant (on average at least) place now.

And those videos aren't helping your argument because it's just showing us that people did not go into outrage over black people pretending to be white.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted

Eddie murphy did a couple of skits on the same and its all wrong.
    oh god i forgot about that movie, terrible, just terrible.

Is this a bait thread?

you already know the race obsessed trolls that have issues with black people will be itching to post negative comments here. (hello stormfront trolls) *waves*

Anyway to answer the question black face is insensitive, anyone that has a grasp on the historical roots of black face would realize that.

Eddie murphy did a couple of skits on the same and its all wrong.
    Whether it's 'wrong' or not is subjective. I'd imagine with some confidence that an overwhelming proportion of the audiences of all the films/shows that have been linked in the thread thus far, felt no true or serious offence at the various portrayals.

The question that is raised however, is a very simple one. Do we choose the grow-a-thicker-skin crowd, or the censorship crowd? I'd choose the former every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    Is this a bait thread?

you already know the race obsessed trolls that have issues with black people will be itching to post negative comments here. (hello stormfront trolls) *waves*

Anyway to answer the question black face is insensitive, anyone that has a grasp on the historical roots of black face would realize that.
    I'm looking for an explanation rather than just "know your history", which is why I purposefully displayed in the OP that I know of its historical roots so as to not get dismissive one-liner posts like this. Tell me why we are still considering blackface offensive.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

im dressing up as Obama for halloween i got the mask and everything

its not even slightly racist and the people who cry about it are simply ridiculous attention whores.

Deleted
    I find Blackface as offensive as I find this....

Not much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am more inclined to ask the intent rather than judge the action.

Deleted
    I am from Sweden and honestly I do not find it racist at all to dress out like Asian, Black, White or anything at all if you do it for the proper reason.

I mean look at movies they are done for humor and nothing wrong with that, same goes for Halloween.

But of course there are those who find it sensitive or use it for the wrong reason but meh we live once so live it how you want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again? Come on, some will say it's racism, others will say it isn't. I personally think it has roots in racism, but that may no longer be the case. My prediction for this thread: People will scream bloody murder on both sides of the fence, bans will be had and in the end no-one convinces the other of their vision.

Is it racist to paint yourself brown, black, white? No. Can it easily get racist if you're doing it to degrade another race? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Is it racist to paint yourself brown, black, white? No. Can it easily get racist if you're doing it to degrade another race? Yes.
    well that's the issue here, the majority of the time these "racial costumes" are used to degrade other racial groups, it's never done tastefully

The exaggerated features, mannerisms, stereotypical dialect/clothing, etc. This applies to the movie "white chicks" also since so many of the fonts on here love using that as a rebuttal to the racially charged history of black face, white race doesn't have the same horrific racial connotation that black face has, that's where the comparison falls flat on it's face

Mere costumes are not offense. Conduct while wearing it can get there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    Is this a bait thread?

Obsessed trolls?
    You're the one making a huge deal about it, or at least it seems like you're the kind of person who would.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this more of a joke then racist.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I don't see any issue with painting black circles to resemble donuts. CEO was right in his dismissal of criticism. Cultural costumes for costume parties are also fine. However, why do you assume Blackface is a cultural costume? And which culture do you think it belongs to? A cultural costume originates from the culture itself. See Kilt. If I were to wear a kilt to a costume party, I would be intending to celebrate the Scottish glory, not ridicule it. Going as Blackface celebrates nothing but why it was originally made. You want to celebrate Africa, wear their actual costume, not Blackface.

I can only agree that Blackface is a cultural costume if you agree that it belongs to white culture. Blackface was a product of white Americans and it continued in the UK later on. And if you wear it, you celebrate -perhaps unwittingly- its meaning. You perpetuate stereotypes, much like it did when it was first used.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Is black face racist? Of course it was (shoe polish black skin, giant lips and buggy eyes isn't offensive). Though probably less insensitive in its modern iterations, now it remains so in that it's largely just a shallow attempt to ruffle feathers and earn shock value.

The reason being is that in its original form, in the early 20th century, it was generally designed as a deliberate caricature of African Americans. It would mock people of this ethnicity by portraying them as perpetually jovial childish adults at best. Granted, there were some exceptions, like Al Jolson, known for his "mammy" performance, who actually wanted to break down ethnic barriers, being a European Jewish man sympathizing with the state of African Americans at the time. However, in the grand scheme of things, this performance style generally exacerbated the ethnic divide, since at the time, very few producers or audiences even cared to address issues with depth... at all.

I'm not surprised that some people are saying society tends to be too sensitive because they do have a point, but to claim the black face performances from the 20's and 30's weren't racist at large seems foolish.

As for modern performances of actors of one creed playing characters of another, namely Tropic Thunder, the whole point of things like that today is not so much mock the ethnicity with black face or white face, but to mock the practice itself.

Robert Downey Jr. as Kick Lazarus as Sergeant Osiris did get some uproar by audiences, but that was the whole point, to show how ridiculous it is to have a white actor play a black character. I mean... Lazarus got serious shit from Al Pacino within the movie, and with good reason.

It's more of a "why" question. Why are you dressed up in blackface, and how do you want your audience to respond to said costume?

The media is actively trying to ruin the lives of these three people. One has already lost her job.
    http://gawker.com/meet-the-morons-be...cos-1453110925
    Tomorrow there will be an article about how bullying is wrong.