Monthly Time Delayed Level Unlocks (pure fantasy idea)

I got thinking about how best Blizzard could fill the gap between expansions and I started to wonder if they should consider delaying level unlocks.

For example..

Expansion Launch, 91 max level.
    + 1 month later, 92 max level. 1 level opens up each month after via a content patch.
    + 9 months later, 100 max level.

So basically it's not until 9 months after the expansion drops that you can actually ding max level. Each level cap would have it's own dungeon(s). Every 2 levels you get a raid or big raid wing unlocks. They could even require more XP per level to ding knowing players would have a month to work at it. Alts get an XP bonus to encourage people to level up their alts during the month also.

What does this do? Well it would stretch out the content quite effectively. There would always be something on the horizon to look forward to on a monthly basis. Ie.. "can't wait for november, another level to work on and a new area to quest in, new dungeons and a raid plus new abilities, gear" etc etc.

It could also perhaps allow Blizzard to take a more flexible approach with the content so over the 9 months they could tweak and change things here and there rather than dropping everything on one single plate for us to eat in one rushed sitting.

Interesting idea or complete trash? It's not a serious suggestion but one that got me thinking. In a way it would make the game a little more epic imho. It would reduce the rush to ding.. stop people blitzing the content and not really caring what's happening around them in the world and instead perhaps make levelling up quite a long and interesting journey. It would give players something to always look forward to. And would people get bored? Perhaps. But if they know theres a new content patch every month that unlocks a new level and content.. why cancel the sub? Just wait for the next month to begin.

Just an idea. Don't rage too hard.

Deleted
    Sounds terrible

At least at max level there's stuff to do, what's to do at 91 for 3 weeks?

Deleted
    No bashing, just constructive criticism: It works the first time around... How would you implement catch up mechanisms? Either there are none, and you are dividing you playerbase into 10 groups (if 10 levels) or there are some, than people catch up by skipping alot of content (for the levels they just go through). Also dungeons for each level means a lot of development work that only lasts for one month? The idea is workable, but still has many issues.

Oh, very few will like this, OP. In an expansion that will be well over 18 months long, hitting level cap in anything past a day or 2 is considered draconian.

A surprising number of players want live to work just like the PTR.

For starters, the impossibility of having any kind of 'catch up' mechanism makes this a no go, but the bigger issue is actually in itemization, which would be fucked up beyond all recognition in order to make this work even remotely resemble something pretending to be 'balanced' when it comes to the tuning of each instance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Oh, very few will like this, OP. In an expansion that will be well over 18 months long, hitting level cap in anything past a day or 2 is considered draconian.

A surprising number of players want live to work just like the PTR.
    It has less to do with some manic need to hit level cap and much more to do with the game mechanics concerning numbers and itemization breaking apart under such a system.

Yeah, lets plaster a timesink over yet another thing. That should help!

10+ Year Old Account
    i really dislike gating mechanisms for the sake of it. if i have a weekend off and just wanna power level, or run dungeons all weekend, i should be able to do that. i dont wanna be blocked just because people feel the game moves too fast. slowing down the leveling pace doesnt really help.

what you need are options. there is no blanket solution. i think leveling offers just that currently. if you dont wanna slow down, heirlooms are there to help, among other various XP bonus items.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    I got thinking about how best Blizzard could fill the gap between expansions and I started to wonder if they should consider delaying level unlocks.

For example..

Expansion Launch, 91 max level.
    + 1 month later, 92 max level. 1 level opens up each month after via a content patch.
    + 9 months later, 100 max level.

So basically it's not until 9 months after the expansion drops that you can actually ding max level. Each level cap would have it's own dungeon(s). Every 2 levels you get a raid or big raid wing unlocks. They could even require more XP per level to ding knowing players would have a month to work at it. Alts get an XP bonus to encourage people to level up their alts during the month also.

What does this do? Well it would stretch out the content quite effectively. There would always be something on the horizon to look forward to on a monthly basis. Ie.. "can't wait for november, another level to work on and a new area to quest in, new dungeons and a raid plus new abilities, gear" etc etc.

It could also perhaps allow Blizzard to take a more flexible approach with the content so over the 9 months they could tweak and change things here and there rather than dropping everything on one single plate for us to eat in one rushed sitting.

Interesting idea or complete trash? It's not a serious suggestion but one that got me thinking. In a way it would make the game a little more epic imho. It would reduce the rush to ding.. stop people blitzing the content and not really caring what's happening around them in the world and instead perhaps make levelling up quite a long and interesting journey. It would give players something to always look forward to. And would people get bored? Perhaps. But if they know theres a new content patch every month that unlocks a new level and content.. why cancel the sub? Just wait for the next month to begin.

Just an idea. Don't rage too hard.
    IF something like this were to happen, a month at a time is too long. 1 week maybe.

Not the worst idea in the world, but not one that would ever actually happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    It doesn't stretch out any content. Because it would be the same as having a 9 month period of content at level cap. Players would get bored of the content at the same rate they do now because they would run it a handful of times and then have to wait for X amount of time until the next new content is released.

You are reducing the amount of content in an expansion at launch, increasing the work load for X period of time, and increasing the level cap each content patch. For no gain at all. Blizzard would have to create a ton of new zones each level or players would be bored quick of being stuck in the same zone. Any "end game" activity would always need to have things added to it or it would become stale and useless.

Why not just have monthly content patches and keep the leveling and end game systems the same? Something new to look forward with out having to spend time grinding out experience just because a new raid tier formed. Having to unlock any "new level cap" rewards, having to re-gear for the new level cap, having to re-theory craft for all the new stat caps.

People would still rush content, because people consume what they enjoy. And people will still rush to level because the level cap is what you'll need to do anything of the "Level cap" content.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

A lot of players (including me) play for max level and find no joy in leveling. This would be a reason to leave the game forever.