10+ Year Old Account

General PvP advice, and DK problems.

Hey guys.

I'll openly admit I don't pvp very often, but i've managed to grind myself out a full grievous/ tyrannical PvP set.

I tried speccing Affliction, My general rotation is SB:SS, haunt, maintain malefic grasp, SS to other targets if there is any, but my damage seems to be pitiful, in Arena, I checked recount and saw that agony ticked at its lowest for a whopping 500 damage, it just seems that even if I apply all my dots and maintain pressure using my cooldowns, the damage I output is horrific, and i'm not entirely sure why.

My biggest problem seems to be Death Knights, however.

In the timeless isle, there's this Blood Dk who sits at 1m hp with all of the timeless buffs, and he just decimates me every time, i've tried killing him as both affliction and destruction, and destruction got the closest due to fear followed by 5k pvp power proc and 4 chaos bolts ( they still only hit like 90k).

It just seems like he has a counter to everything I do, I'll drop demonic portal and summon, spec into everything perfectly for pvp, but the little amount of damage he takes compensates for any large amount of damage I can do, and he just whittles me down eventually.

This guy is also one of "those guys", that runs when you get close to killing him however, and the few times i've gotten him low, he just uses the engineering nitro boosts and the jademist stealth item to get away from me, and to be honest, it's infurating, even using conflag at the right time, he still managed to get away because of his sheer speed combined with the jademist stealth item, is there any way at all to counter him, or are Blood Dk's just superior against Warlocks?

whats your ilvl exactly? what pvp talents you're using? which pet?
    blood DKs aren't that superior against warlocks, but its hard to counter against any melee class as a warlock. btw blood horror, soul link and mortal coil are the talents I recommend.if you can moderate and kite him/her, harvest life can be a btter option over DRegen. honestly you can't expect anything predictable out of a 1v1 situation, and also give it a try to shiva. and don't forget you can't kill shit with aff when speed matters! you must manage it to a point he get empty handed or out of resources to do the excution(if there is any) xD
    green is the color!

10+ Year Old Account
    Running Destro for world pvp generally.

Spec is Dark regen, Mortal Coil, Blood horror, Kil'jadens cunning and soul link, pet is voidlord since it can disarm him and bugger him up, but Im guessing that shivarrah mesmerise might be just as good.

Problem with trying to gap break is that he just antimagic shields and pops trinket to get out of my CC's, and if I do get away by use of darkflight or something similar, he just death grips me back or asphyxiates me at max range and starts burning me down, if it isnt that then he's slowing me with chains of ice and decimating me, it's pretty annoying.

PVP ilvl is 523, 550 for pve.
    Last edited by Martyn 470; 2013-10-29 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post

Spec is Dark regen, Mortal Coil, Blood horror, Kil'jadens cunning and soul link, pet is voidlord since it can disarm him and bugger him up, but Im guessing that shivarrah mesmerise might be just as good.

Problem with trying to gap break is that he just antimagic shields and pops trinket to get out of my CC's, and if I do get away by use of darkflight or something similar, he just death grips me back or asphyxiates me at max range and starts burning me down, if it isnt that then he's slowing me with chains of ice and decimating me, it's pretty annoying.

Blizzard changed the warlocks in some kind of mosquito, buzzing, buzzing, but not hurting anyone. We're well if we have a good support, as in 3x3, 5x5. We need some chaos bolt proc like frostfire bolt.
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Deleted
    I dusted off my Warlock (Full tyr. from last season) a few days ago and played some BG's and arena as Affliction.

I have NEVER been owned so hard in my entire WoW career
    There is just no way you can survive the MASSIVE instant damage that people throw at you nowadays.

Tbh, I can't even apply all the dots without being CC'ed to death. Let alone re-applying them.

Martyn, you have my respect and synpathy for trying, you really do!
    I'm sticking to my Warrior this season :P

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post

Its not just DK any melee is good against warlocks, atleast when it comes to destruction! man the spec is just pure shit for pvp! it wasn't even good in 5.3 and now with all changes in RoF and KJC? give aff some tries. I know self heal is a powerful reason ppl stick to destru, but since you can't do shit against melee and damage output is so bad anyway, whats the reason of staying alive with some good selfheal?!
    green is the color!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thats my predicament, I can't play destro because our main source of damage output is chaos bolt, which :
    1) Can't cast while moving
    2) Has a large cast time and ridiculously easy to interrupt
    3) Hits for pittance, anywhere from 50k - 90k with full procs and buffs

I can't go Demonology because it's horribly unrepresented in PvP, the damage is ridiculous, and the cast times are horrific.
    I can't go Affliction because the damage is ridiculous and your damage intake is hilariously disgusting, you get dropped before you can even re apply DOTS.

it's pretty shit overall, sad thing is, i'm a good player in PVE, but PVP is just crappy.

well if it's open world pvp you want to discuss , for example that blood DK with 1 mil hp, I'd suggest getting some pve gear mixed up with your pvp gear, ie:legendary cloak etc..

Since open world does not reduce ilvl on pve gear it should be far superior than running in pvp gear which is gimped in comparison to pvp gear outside rated content.

On another note, if you want to beat that blood DK you gotta outplay him, but to do that you must know a few things about his spec and abilities.

For example, if he has 1 mil hp it means he must be wearing full pve gear in order to reach those hp lvls, which means that he shouldn't have double deathgrip from the set bonus pvp gear.

So that means he should be able to pull you only once per cd on circle, abuse that.

A blood DK can only heal so much if u let him get to melee range, don't let him get there.

pick up kjc, conflag him while you have the range advantage and spam incinerate while moving away from him, even if he chains you u should be further away from him so he is somewhat forced to pull you, if he gets closer to you, just shadowfury and fear him, he will pop icebound fort to break stun and probably lichborne for fear but by then u are further away so he will deathgrip you , which you can counter with teleport, which means he has nothing to pull u in again.

So kite him, a tip I'd suggest is don't play with pet coz he can deathstrike it to heal himself, so get a felhunter because silence > disarm vs DKs, since by silencing them you can stop them from using a lot of their abilities such as blood tap, deathgrip , mindfreeze etc.

This can be very useful if you need to get away once u are pulled, silence them to stop them from disabling you while u are in melee range and fear them, then kite away.

Ofc it's not as easy as it sounds, but if you manage to time teleport when they grip, and keep kiting away and using any/all CC you have to stop them from reaching you, you can defeat them.

Another tip for you is, don't waste too much time on chaosbolts until they are below 50% hp, build up embers to heal yourself instead, you can sustain your hp much longer while still forcing their cds, and when they are all out of cds you can just do a CC chain and dump some CBs into them.

Best CC chain when he's already on you ( also good way to peel ) , blood horror proc into a fear, but if you want to CB dump onto them, then blood horror -> pop cds conflag -> CB -> conflag -> shadowfury -> CB -> Fear -> CB -> silence -> shadowburn , he should be dead if you do this when he's below 50% hp, just make sure he has icebound fortitude( the stun immunity ), lichborne ( fear immunity ) , and anti magic shell down, which you can force early by doing the above.

It will take some practice but doable ofc.

Yep, stack some PvE-gear for world-PvP. Locks in 555+ can beat the crap out of almost any class in wPvP. Especially if ppl run around in PvP-sets (poor guys, you can kill 2-3 of them at a time).
    Btw, buff yourself by everything that's within your grasp (i.e., Timeless Isle). Find shrine with Chi-Ji-buff (can take you quite some time, but the resulting buff is priceless) or Xuen-buff (15% raw DPS-buff - though Chi-buff is far more great). Use every buff item that dropped for you on the Isle (those 8k int procs are very, very nice and have very high proc-rate). Use black ashes on this goddamned DK to make his healing crappy as hell. And still consider using demo-spec (esp. under Chi-Ji-buff). Stuns from wraithguard can be quite useful, and demo-burst is still quite good (although you should watch for his AMS to be down, or your imp-burst will be wasted).
    Other items that might be handy for slaughtering your nemesis:
    - Overgrown Lilypad (gives you druid-like symbiosis with Renewal, afair - useful HoT);
    - Battle Horn (aggroes every mob in 40-yard range. Now, this can be quite tricky to handle, but - you can accidentally aggro some nasty yaungols, of drakes, or whatever, and BDKs with their cleave-rotation will be more then enough to get the threat from you. Beware: this trick may help tank to stack vengeance, but can still be useful for reducing his health quite a bit);
    - Bubbling Pi'jiu Brew (summons monk in DPS-spec to assist you. Dunno if it can be used with other two brews, though);
    - Sticky Silkworm Goo (snare - dunno whether it works on players, but it can snare Celestials. So, consider trying this on your personal DK);
    - Faintly-Glowing Herb (another HoT, and it has no CD for use - can be quite handy);
    - Falling Flame (to mock him with sheer warlock-might after you finally kill him - or to outrun his engi-belt).
    There might be some other tricky ways to kill him (for example, using succubi lash to make him fall from high cliff - use right after stun so he can't use his glider/DK-save), but first of all - gear up, bro.