Poll: Why don't you tank SoO LFR?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    It varies from person to person imo. The problem is (imo) that in lfr tanking is the hardest job while in regular raids (normal/hc) tanking is the easiest job.
    My mind is so full of WUT right now...

I'm going to leave this one alone.

I selected something else (564ilvl, 6/14h) because the way to get me into LFR with all my awesome sauce and have me just toss the raid on my back is to REWARD me! I want to get rich for being such a small minority and in such demand. The rules of a free market tell me that if a good tank is a scarce resource and there is high demand then said good tank should command a greater reward for effort.

Deleted
    Because I use two-handed swords. Compensation, or something of the kind. Last time I tried to tank as Arms, people where mean.

I love tanking the mechanics are usually far simpler then most people are lead to believe. That being said at around t14 LFR ques for tanks were much longer then dps so in order to see content I switched to dps. The amount of time it would take now to gear up my tank would be a little more then I am willing to invest right now in this stage of the game. I don't wanna just go and get really shitty 496 gear from timeless isle and jump into SoO. I want to get the cloak, and good gear and a large health pool so when I do set foot in SoO LFR I don't get trolled to bejesus and back because I'm trying to tank garrosh with a 900k health pool with 10 stacks of determination.

I don't even have to level the damn toons I already have a monk, a pally, and a warrior at level 90 but they are sitting mostly in quest blues. Getting that cloak was already a long enough trip as is and I already ignore my other games too much.

In addition to my post before I'd also like to say tanking is boring as hell. We need more compelling mechanics than "switch at X stacks".

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It varies from person to person imo. The problem is (imo) that in lfr tanking is the hardest job while in regular raids (normal/hc) tanking is the easiest job.
    Agree. LFR Tanking is too close to regular tanking. While everyone else just facerolls...
    Old Gods made me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    My mind is so full of WUT right now...

I'm going to leave this one alone.
    I might've been misunderstood. Tanking is the least forgiving role in lfr. Mostly because tank is often blamed for not only his/hers mistakes.

Still for me tanking is the easiest of all roles in standard raids.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 2013-10-29 at 02:56 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    In addition to my post before I'd also like to say tanking is boring as hell. We need more compelling mechanics than "switch at X stacks".
    ...you get Dark Shamans for wishes like that...
    Old Gods made me do it.

I might've been misunderstood. Tanking is the least forgiving role in lfr. Mostly because tank is often blamed for his/hers mistakes.

Still for me tanking is the easiest of all roles in standard raids.
    Makes more sense now haha

Deleted
    No poll if you're tanking LFR? I tank LFR on three different characters, even on my 557 ilvl monk, just because it's so fun to stack vengeance in lfr Though it's pretty painful on my lesser geared chars to tank sometimes if you have a really bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiron View Post
    ...you get Dark Shamans for wishes like that...
    And then you get tanks who ignore all the mechanics, stand in tornadoes, red, green, ashen walls... And we still win.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Makes more sense now haha
    I misstyped :P Forgot to add "Mostly because tank is often blamed for not only his/hers mistakes."

I voted for "I don't want the responsibility" because that's usually the main reason. A lot of times I'm playing WoW as a downtime fun activity and being saddled with the responsibility of setting up groups, explaining tactics, managing other tanks that don't know the fight on top of active mitigation tank swaps standing in crap and everything else that goes along with tanking is just a tad exhausting.

Compare the tanking experience to dps which gets to pretty much zzzzzzzzzzz through a fight just doing their dps rotation and it's a no-brainer for why I usually just want to run as dps.

However, with the new SoO instances I don't really know all the nuances of the boss fight and sometimes reading a strat guide just isn't enough. If I screw up and we wipe it's a lot of nerd rage to deal with. So there are a few times like in wing 3 and 4 where I just go dps instead to try and get a feel for the fight.

Anyways, tank is quite a bit more hassle than dps or healing and I find myself gravitating away from tanking.

Not worth my sanity.

Deleted
    lol w8 what... u dont like tank in lfr... w8 what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    if you have to ask why I don't tank LFR, Then you are in most likelihood, one of the players that make me not want to tank.
    Then you've not understood the purpose of this thread. If I'm in LFR I'm probably tanking; I've got an ilevel around 540, I've tanked every boss on at least 2 classes and I studied the tactics before I even set foot in the raid. I've also been our guild's main tank since vanilla and I'm our raid leader, so I need to know the fights from a healer & dps perspective too.

However, I've seen a ton of threads lately along the lines of "LFR doesn't have enough tanks - this is how I'd fix it", always from DPS and full of non-tanks trying to tell each other what they think the problem is. The purpose of this thread is to give my fellow tanks a voice, somewhere that isn't flooded with opinions from DPS.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2013-10-29 at 03:37 PM.

I'm a warlock and last time I offered to tank, just to be funny, people nerd raged. =/

Just looking at the votes so far, there's 116 votes. Of those:

10 are toons that can't have a tank spec
    4 could have a tank spec, but both specs are used for something else.

That means we've 102 votes from people who have a tank spec; of those, only 15 have voted "something else". So AT MOST, 15% of tanks actually tank LFR. It'll be interesting to see if the ratios stay about the same with a load more votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    I would tank on my warr occasionally but he's still carrying a blue shield (not had one drop in any raid, and he's done MSV, HoF, ToES, ToT). I already know the abuse he'd get in LFR with a blue shield.
    I tanked all forms of LFR (and normal) with a blue shield for months and never once received any abuse from other players in LFR.

I finally had a shield upgrade drop about two weeks before patch 5.4 went live, and I've been tanking since day one of the expansion (and burning bonus rolls like crazy looking for the shield upgrade through it all), so I would say just tank it with the blue shield and don't worry about anyone who might "take offense"

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    I finally had a shield upgrade drop about two weeks before patch 5.4 went live, and I've been tanking since day one of the expansion (and burning bonus rolls like crazy looking for the shield upgrade through it all), so I would say just tank it with the blue shield and don't worry about anyone who might "take offense"
    Yeah, done something similar myself. Might give the warr a try when the monk stops doing LFR.