Poll: Why don't you tank SoO LFR?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    My reason is because I hate to tank with someone else. Usually, LFR people like to taunt off you for no reason.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gortz View Post
    Easy to get emotional about it. Just forget about them and realise you're the better player.

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly a team player, are we? Sometimes getting help from the other tank once is all a guy needs to get going on some encounters. LFR isnt a difficulty that requires you to watch videos beforehand. Sure, it's helpful, but by no means is it a requirement. If someone actually asks for help (instead of you forcing them / yelling at them) then you should be humble and just help them out quickly. Teamworking with the other tank is one of the most enjoyable parts of tanking for me.
    Oh im very much a team player, raid normal a few days a week and will gladly help those who are a bit confused. But if you want to twist my arm for a broader example for why i said what i did then here you go:

There is a BIG difference to being asked how many stacks to taunt on and "How do i do this boss, i know nothing for this guy" Keeping in mind any raider worth their salt will atleast watch a vid or flick thru the dungeon journal for a jist of the fight (Note i did not say memorize in case you attempt to twist my words later). I refuse to explain every aspect of the fight for someone who cant be arsed to do the absolute minimum of having a glace at tanking abilities in the dungeon journal.

To be 100% honest with people i AM tanking on all of my lvl 90 chars! and trust me i am beloved among all of my friends when doing LFR but after the latest changes to tanks i have gained less interest in running too many LFR's due to my lower damage it is harder for me to carry the fight as a tank and thereby often wiping due to low heals or dps, and it happens very often that my Offtank cant get any aggro at all because he is about 500 ilvl while i am 560!
    Death Knights never fell to Arthas. We are the once to make him fall!

Updating the thread with the latest stats:

514 total votes
    63 either can't have a tank spec, or don't have one atm. That leaves 451 votes from tanks.

Of those 451, 64 might be tanking LFR (they voted "something else") - that's 14%
    So 86% of all the tanks who voted, aren't tanking LFR. 33% won't because of the abuse tanks get; 12% don't need anything; 15% would rather do normal / flex; 10% don't want the responsibility.

Those percentages haven't really changed since the voting started. So .. next time someone complains at the lack of tanks in LFR, point 'em here. The voting shows only about 1 in 7 tanks will tank LFR, and it's largely because of other players.

the abusive nature of the pve community has put me off doing anything in pve

I won't tank LFR because the people in LFR are usually a pit of venomous snakes, frankly. The only time I like LFR is the first week of a gate opening because people seem to understand that they have to work together a little. Goodness, I mean GOODNESS, we actually CC'd some of the trash between Paragons and Garrosh that first week, without anyone freaking out about it. But as much as its people's stupidity and refusal to cooperate with mechanics, planning, etc, I detest the general gogogogogogogogogo, the irrational zerg rush, people insist on, and when things go wrong, how they chortle "lawl LFR" as if THEY and their whole approach aren't the reason "lawl LFR".

I told some guildies I think LFR is the continuation of Ulduar hard modes. In Ulduar, your hard mode was basically set around doing the fight under certain conditions. Well, in T14, T15, T16, the hard mode for those fights is doing it with 24 knuckleheads constantly ignoring adds, DPSing in defensive stance to give Nazgrim extra abilities, blithely taking extra damage on Shaman, etc, etc. Who here hasn't gone into Flex, at least, and said "wow, that was actually easier", because either the guild group or the pug-with-vent they were in actually did the mechanics without pulling teeth?

I noticed that most people say Tanks get too much abuse. Well, that is the case only if their tanking skills and knowledge about reforges, stats and encounter mchanics etc is bad in my opinion.
    My main is Mage and currently at 2/14 Hc. I have seen all the encounters in SoO soo many times that I know what is happening every time and when. I am gearing up my DK Tank at the moment and I am doing all LFR every week for the last 3 weeks now. People love me because I know what to do, what and when to pull, my gear is reforged and gemmed, I mark Targets and spots etc. On the other hand, I see Tanks that are veeeery bad. I see Blood Dks that reforge Mastery into expertise, I see prot Palladins with Holy gear, I see Tanks retaunting off me when they have high stacks of a debuff and die because of that and sooo much more of bad Tanking.
    I also see some excellent Tanks that do everything perfect.
    I will stop Tanking LFR when my gear is ready for Flex.

I stopped doing LFR as tank, simply because there are too many afkers/assholes/fucktards in the group. I highly relate to the "Too slow, too fast, you pulled too much, PULL MOAR" whining, the constant failing "LUL WUT BUTTON IS MOVE OUT OF FIER?" and standing in shit/whiping because people can't be arsed to read the tactics, and the terrible dps some people do. "LOL I DIED AFTER 2 SEC, NOT MY FAULT MY DPS IS LOW!!" Sure, it can happen once, perhaps twice, but three times? Yeah. Having 3 people doing 100k+ dps, and me on top 5 as tank, does not help getting bosses down.

One great example of how poor understanding some people have of the mechanics in certain boss fights is the Norushen Encounter. DPS just rush into the portals to MAX THEM DPSZ (which only bump them from 50k to a whooping 60k), leaving tanks with 100 % corruption, and no way to pick up the black orbs. "LOL IT'S TONKS JOB PIKCING URB!" "Yes, but we can't, since the other tank is in the portal and I got 100 %! Someone else do it!" "Lul, not my job, I r DPZ!" (Yes, I know that it is our job, but when that is impossible at the moment, what would you do? Have a dps pick it up or let the orb just pulse).

I mainly do Flex and Normal when I play now, and it's actually fun, compared to the fubar-fest LFR is.

Because I only afk in lfr. And that can be only accomplished by being a dps, since afking as a tank or even heal you'll stand out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    One great example of how poor understanding some people have of the mechanics in certain boss fights is the Norushen Encounter. DPS just rush into the portals to MAX THEM DPSZ (which only bump them from 50k to a whooping 60k), leaving tanks with 100 % corruption, and no way to pick up the black orbs. "LOL IT'S TONKS JOB PIKCING URB!" "Yes, but we can't, since the other tank is in the portal and I got 100 %! Someone else do it!" "Lul, not my job, I r DPZ!" (Yes, I know that it is our job, but when that is impossible at the moment, what would you do? Have a dps pick it up or let the orb just pulse).

I mainly do Flex and Normal when I play now, and it's actually fun, compared to the fubar-fest LFR is.
    You are a little confused I believe. In LFR the ones that go in other realm is random. There are no orbs and Tanks are picked to go 100%

Deleted
    I have no problem tanking the older lfrs as I know them well and can always solo tank them if my fellow tank is a retard. I do not tank siege yet because I know the tactics, but am not comfortable that I have the muscle memory for tanking them properly yet, on top of the frustration with people being terrible around me.

That and when I get game time my first call is with my cap team (moving on to bc content now, yay), my second call is my warlock and I rarely get time with my monk or paladin. Tanking in a guild is just better in every way. (Prot warrior with the cap team)

Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    My reason is because I hate to tank with someone else. Usually, LFR people like to taunt off you for no reason.
    I tanked LFRs on my DK recently as I felt like gearing him. I never get taunted or shit said to me, but maybe thats because I'm not half retarded. The reason people get mad at tanks is if they are bad, read up on fights, read up on your spec. You can pretty much 1 tank a lot of LFR, its not that hard...

I stopped tanking the second I was able to choose tank gear while in dps spec.

I never felt like I could meet people's expectations in terms of experience, since LFR was pretty much my endgame on my tanking toons which are all alts. There never felt like there was any space to learn in LFR, people expected perfect from the first time I ever tried the fight, but wouldn't even give me the time to set up taunts/position or whatever with the other tank and would just pull for me or start bitching me out if I stopped for a second to talk to the other tank and try to work things out. It was super frustrating and I found it really stressful.

This is a big part of why I stay out now, that first run seems like a huge block, because it'll all be new to me tanking wise and I just don't want to face the rage/stress that comes with learning in a random group, and now with the way loot is I can just avoid it.

To clarify the assholes weren't everyone, but there very often seemed to be one or two people in every raid who were just nasty, unpleasant people, and as tank I was noticeable so they heaped their shit on me/us no matter what I actually did. It felt like having a huge target painted on my back and is something I've never experienced in the other roles. I just don't have the energy to deal with that behaviour and I don't think I should be expected to do so, and tbh I have more self respect than to tolerate that kind of treatment. I play for fun and being treated badly, even by a couple of people, isn't enjoyable for me, and since I have another option for getting tank loot without that stress I take that.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-11-01 at 11:15 AM.

Deleted
    I stopped tanking after the few first MOP raids, they way people react in LFR is so damn annoying. I enjoy normal raids and flex but LFR is a no go for me these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    I noticed that most people say Tanks get too much abuse. Well, that is the case only if their tanking skills and knowledge about reforges, stats and encounter mchanics etc is bad in my opinion.
    I am so glad you put "in my opinion"... it's an opinion, I strongly disagree with.
    Last edited by MadBloke101; 2013-11-01 at 11:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many reasons

1. Healing/ dps is more fun
    2. Healers get less blame , if we do something wrong the dps could have moved out of the fire or the tank could have used his cooldowns
    3. I find healers have more survivability outside raids compared to tanks/ dps
    4. Tanks get all the blame tanks are the center of attention, if they do somthing wrong they have the wrath of a full raid to face :P
    5. Everyone has a dps spec, only a few have heal/ tank specs (Boosts the value of tanks,dps)
    6. Healing/ dps is easier and less stressful than tanking
    7. It's much easier to solo/grind as a dps than as a tank/ healer

Imho the problem should be aproached from opposite side. Why would anyone who's sane tank LFR? The other day I went LFR on alt to get Legendary quest items, the other tank refused to taunt, even dps, he did absolutely nothing (first 4 bosses in SoO) I asked him to maybe start playing he told me to stfu so.. I tried vote kick, "player cannot be kicked for another 3 hours" GG blizz.

Deleted
    Because as a warlock i can't queue tank.

Deleted
    None of them. I'm a tank and will most likely always play one, so I do tank in LFR.
    Besides that, I can imagine there are a few factors now in SoO that some tanks just dislike. Queueing as a tank means you need to communicate (and sometimes coordinate with setting world markers and such) rather than just dealing damage/healing/getting out of fire - what makes it more comfortable to queue as DD/heal. Not all of the reasons for sure.

Deleted
    I tanked Downfall on LFR last night and thought Blizzard was trolling me - any 496 geared tank walking into that place innocent would be torn apart by the other 24 players. I was 553 geared and got called the worst tank in WoW. The "gauntlet" that wasn't a gauntlet really annoyed me - wiped on that more times than on bosses. "Hold aggro tank, ffs!" when the 3 reapers each charge random people and also put a debuff on the tank that not only stuns them but makes them unthreatening for 6 seconds, grrrr! (And the harbringers cast spells on random targets.)

After finishing, I googled the trash and found out about soaking in pink puddles (which I never saw - they can't have been very visible) to stop the ichors respawning, learnt that ichors heal and buff the damage of others, the importance of CC etc and feel much more confident about tanking it next run. But crikey, for a first time - tanking on a main, with years of experience as a guild main tank - it was a shock.

I think Blizzard were having a laugh.