Question Disc: source of crit build?

hello,
    I apologize if this is a repost but I couldn't find a good answer anywhere else.
    Back in 5.0 and 5.1 mast builds were the way to go, afterwards in 5.2 people started arguing between mast and crit and at the end of 5.2 I started seeing those pure crit builds.
    now I understand the logic behind the build which is more DA, but what's the math behind this? Is this build only good to snipe pointless heals in non-burst phases? or there is math that proves that 2crit>int is way to go even there.
    Thank you
    Edit: typo
    Last edited by Syri277; 2013-10-30 at 08:21 AM.

1Int vs 2Crit is extremely close output-wise, to the extent that 2Crit pulls ahead due to expected overhealing of more spellpower (=bigger heals) vs absorbs. It also provides a buffer to the raid that no other healer provides.
    As for the math behind, mastery and crit works with each other to an extent where you want to keep X mastery for Y crit - at higher gear levels this is a non-issue due to the fact that all gear basicly have mastery. Before 5.2, crit didn't scale with absorbs - PW:S didn't have "critical" effects, and absorbs were just a percentage of PoH and such.

As for burst phases, it depends how you set up. Spirit shell works with critical hits now, too, so it's entirely possible for crit to be stronger than mastery if you're lucky when preparing the raid for a burst of damage. For sustained raid damage (think Thok), crit should also be better than Mastery.

Well, i completely understand your logic, but you bring nothing new and most importantly no source for your claims.
    Also, it seems that you contradict yourself a bit in the two paragraphs, because in the first you say 1int is almost the same as 2Crit and continue to say that 2crit pulls ahead because of overheal of spellpower, and then in the second paragraph where you explain the sustained damage part you still insist that crit pulls ahead even though there is no over heal.
    what i'm looking for is a mathematical answer that explains the claim of 2crit being superior to spellpower (most importantly in burst phases).
    EDIT: the only kind of math i found is back in 5.2 and it only explained the difference between mast and crit and concluded that they must be balanced and that they are not that different and the choice depends on your play style (aton vs pws) and doesn't talk at all about the pure crit build, source: http://www.healadinne.com/HealNotes/5.2Disc.html
    EDIT2: i'm not looking for a crit vs mast debate in burst phases i'm looking for a source of 2crit>1int in burst phases, thank you.
    Last edited by Syri277; 2013-10-30 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syri277 View Post
    Well, i completely understand your logic, but you bring nothing new and most importantly no source for your claims.
    Also, it seems that you contradict yourself a bit in the two paragraphs, because in the first you say 1int is almost the same as 2Crit and continue to say that 2crit pulls ahead because of overheal of spellpower, and then in the second paragraph where you explain the sustained damage part you still insist that crit pulls ahead even though there is no over heal.
    what i'm looking for is a mathematical answer that explains the claim of 2crit being superior to spellpower (most importantly in burst phases).
    EDIT: the only kind of math i found is back in 5.2 and it only explained the difference between mast and crit and concluded that they must be balanced and that they are not that different and the choice depends on your play style (aton vs pws) and doesn't talk at all about the pure crit build, source: http://www.healadinne.com/HealNotes/5.2Disc.html
    Sustained damage does not mean zero overhealing. Would be lovely if it did, though :P.
    The point is that even in a sustained damage enviroment where you'd expect smaller overhealing, the nature of shields will prove even less overheal (basicly zero) and thus edge ahead. It's basicly a case of "even IF int was slightly stronger than crit, we'd all be using crit anyway because it performs better in a raid enviroment".

Honestly you're not going to find any mathematical proof on this topic because it only affects your gem choices (you're never forced to choose between int and crit anywhere else) and it makes such a small difference overall that it's really not worth crunching numbers over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game