Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    What do you consider casual? There is a guild that raids 9 hours a week and is 12/14H...that is the definition of casual playing. Casual is not an excuse to be shit at a game and its really sad when people think that because they are casual they can just suck and are 100% fine with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    My own theory is that a good chunk of folks simply weren't enthusiastic about the overall vibe of the content, nor various changes made to player mechanics. Pandas and talent trees, for example, were both quite polarizing.

I'd be curious to see how many players dropped their sub before hitting 90.
    My theory is there came stronger competion on the market; Rift, Tera, GW2 etc. even F2P games taking some percentages. It all adds up in the end..
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2013-10-31 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    My own theory is that a good chunk of folks simply weren't enthusiastic about the overall vibe of the content, nor various changes made to player mechanics. Pandas and talent trees, for example, were both quite polarizing.

I'd be curious to see how many players dropped their sub before hitting 90.
    My thought is most of the teens said "pandas, wtf I'm a big boy I don't wanna play with Pandas" and that gave cause for them to dismiss all the great things about MOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    What do you consider casual? There is a guild that raids 9 hours a week and is 12/14H...that is the definition of casual playing. Casual is not an excuse to be shit at a game and its really sad when people think that because they are casual they can just suck and are 100% fine with that.
    I'm not really correlating it with time played, more of an attitude, I guess? I don't know.

But it's pretty clear that the majority of people aren't interested in doing organized raiding, and it can't all be because they're "shit" at the game, as you put it, can it?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    My theory is was stronger competion on the market; Rift, Tera, GW2 etc. even F2P games taking some percentages. It all adds up in the end..
    It's a somewhat old, somewhat tired genre. Nothing has come along to replace MMORPGs but on the other hand, they haven't seen any particular innovation.

I think WoW is doing fine given that it is saddled with a small but significant number of vocal players who have been playing for almost a decade and really can't deal with change.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The BC model was fine imo... heroics were somewhat of a challenge (until you out geared it) Kara was pug-able (i actually ran kara pugs often spamming trade) ZA and Gruul's Lair too although they could be abit more of a challenge. And at the end, when Sunwell was launched, you had the gear vendor to farm... you got really good gear, but not better then the people raiding sunwell.

I was on a low to median pop server... maybe some people other high pop with top raiding guilds were able to run more.

Also.. i highly enjoyed ICC in wrath... the one and only time my server actually had GDKP runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Then, really, is there even any content for casuals aside from pointless side activities?
    Nope. I don't see any reason as to why there should be, either. You don't beat a game by only playing half of it. If you don't have the time to commit to it then you should reconsider how you choose to spend your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    This is a viewpoint Blizzard wishes would just go away.
    Yeah, too bad it isn't going anywhere though.
    The game was fine before they put in LFR. It has only gone downhill since Cataclysm launch. LFR isn't helping one bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is something wrong with it, but we can only guess as to what the main reason for sub loss this time around has been. I personally doubt it's due to lfr specifically.
    i think its a combination of ideas. people dont mind grinding if the reward is worth the effort. the amount of effort needed, to deal with trolls and elitists and just general pricks in LFR does not equal the rewards. people dont want to grind for their gear while having to put up with the horrible community behaviors in LFR.

and sorry but normals are just brutal in difficulty for most players. if you dont have any trouble, then you and your group are above the masses in skill. normals are very unforgiving for friends and family groups. people that just want to enjoy the game, and have a nice little bit of gear to show for it. again its reward vs effort.

Wrath was on the right track, loved running Naxx gear runs for new guildies, or friends that i got to come join me in WoW. ToC dungeons started us down a bad path, giving us a 5 man that nullified the need for previous tier gear/alt runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

You won't get good answers, because anyone saying that LFR should be removed simply hasn't thought the issue all the way through, or hasn't been playing long enough to realize that when the game DID have more dungeons, folks got utterly sick of running them, and you had just as many complaints flying around. (just about different topics).

While the game should certainly have more dungeons, and hopefully good ones next time around, LFR isn't, and shouldn't, be going anywhere.
    That is the real stupidity of the hardcore raiders who want to get rid of LFR. If they do get rid of LFR, it simply means that we will have 4 boss raid tiers and a ton of 5 man heroic dungeons being made instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    It's a somewhat old, somewhat tired genre. Nothing has come along to replace MMORPGs but on the other hand, they haven't seen any particular innovation.

I think WoW is doing fine given that it is saddled with a small but significant number of vocal players who have been playing for almost a decade and really can't deal with change.
    Yes but not all prefered orcs and humans or balance or the setting but it was the only really polished and stable MMO. So when a game with horses and goats in a candyland setting, came out and was also polished, people who prefered that left

I'll post my thoughts again on the matter since I've done it all the time!

End game will be raiding with heroics as the "side" end game. This is Karazhan/ZA going along with TBC heroics I'm talking about. That is the progression that should be offered for the more casual playerbase.

This would involve spiting 10 and 25m raids again to their own zones, which would be wonderful to me. These zones would have single difficulty setting, much like TBC, where early bosses were easier with difficulty scaling up quickly through the zone and through the expansion. So early bosses of T17(first tier of new xpac) would be easier than early bosses T18, which would be easier than early bosses of T19 etc etc. The last couple bosses of the previous tier would be harder than the first couple of the next tier, so if people can stuck, they can go to next tier or previous to kill bosses.

Each difficulty would have a flex option to allow for people to "do" content they missed out on.

Also have 5 man heroics with hard content. Current "heroics" would be new normals and current challenge modes would be new heroics. They wouldn't have timers or medals but would have the same difficulty with loot added that mirrors that of current LFR. New 5 mans would be added with each tier, at least 2 per, to allow for some manner of "catch-up" for people who come in late, but you wouldn't be able to walk in to "new" tier heroics without having some decent gear from previous tiers "heroics" or raids.

That's my "plan" for fixing the situation of LFR and current raiding. It would take more devs to do it, but it's not like Blizzard is short on money.

LFR is fine, it's the random finder that is the problem.. force people to make their own group and you'll see a lot less failure suddenly.

Without any responsibility, people will go afk, pull early, go in without gems/enchants and be bad. If it's a pre-made group, it will be to the discretion of the raid leader.

Won't happen, but I had a blast doing LFR full guild groups at beginning of the expansion when we were gearing up. I had zero fun queuing alone. So that content is obviously not for me, but I am pretty sure people don't like it either.

Game would be a lot better with mix of the old raid finder (the one you made yourself available for specific raids or dungeons with your role) and a system like OpenRaid/oQueue built-in. Or allow us to do LFR in 10 man, but without queues.

Anyways, no point in removing it, just don't run it, but there is always ways to improve the experience out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by robotis View Post
    I'm not really correlating it with time played, more of an attitude, I guess? I don't know.

But it's pretty clear that the majority of people aren't interested in doing organized raiding, and it can't all be because they're "shit" at the game, as you put it, can it?
    I disagree, I feel that Flex was one of the best things added for casuals in recent times - there are even "Flex Guilds" which just clear Wing 1-4 in a couple hours each week. LFR is not a place for "casuals", LFR is a place for people that just don't seem to give a shit. I have run LFR one time this patch and that was just to see how bad it was....it was pretty bad. People just afk and autoattack bosses, that isn't casual, that is being shit at the game and being a lazy prick. Casual and not caring are 2 complete different thing. I personally hope to see LFR get removed in whatever the next expansion just because LFR has turned into a boiling pot of shit in my opinion.

The problem is that people are happy with being sub-par (or worse) and LFR promotes that type of play. There is no personal accountability and it gives what truly are "casuals" a bad name.
    Last edited by Novx; 2013-10-31 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Maybe if they aren't devoted players try don't belong in this type of game...

But I would add a lot of hard dungeons. Like hour or two hour long ones. If thu can't do an hour then they can't do LFR now.

Or put them in proving grounds till they can do average dps. Then flex.
    WoW would be in a grave dead without casuals mate, they fund your addiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    They should step up to flex, even if it needs to get toned down for them to be able to do so.
    So basically you make flex raids become... LFR?

If an MMO can't force a bit of interaction and community onto a playerbase then whats the point? If people complain that they "like to solo", that's fine, you just can't have the nice(r) things.
    Since when are LFR items "nice?"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Do people consider LFR to be endgame content? :S I am confused.

The people that I know that stepped down in their wow time to play 100% casually does the following

Level alts with friends
    Pet Battles
    Occational BG with friends
    Occational Arena with friends
    Some achievement hunting
    Old Raids
    Timeless Isle shit
    Sometimes (a.k.a. when I force them) a flex clear

None of them even touch LFR. I honestly do not know how anyone can consider LFR endgame content, and the ultimate one of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal raids....that was kind of the point of hardmodes...the hardcores get there hardmode raid, the casuals get there normal raid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inkberry View Post
    Nope. I don't see any reason as to why there should be, either. You don't beat a game by only playing half of it. If you don't have the time to commit to it then you should reconsider how you choose to spend your time.

Yeah, too bad it isn't going anywhere though.
    The game was fine before they put in LFR. It has only gone downhill since Cataclysm launch. LFR isn't helping one bit.
    I'm afraid that if I start pointing out flaws in your words I'll get infracted to say the least.
    I'll say this much though. There are people with full time jobs in this world, that actually like playing this game.
    Some of these people undoubtedly would like to raid, yet can't because of their stressful work-free time balance.
    According to you having other commitments means you aren't allowed to experience aspects of a game you pay for and enjoy.
    How exactly is a model -where not only paying for but also spending all of your free time in a game required to see all it has to offer- viable?
    You don't have the time to be raiding every night or whatever guilds require = you don't get to see lore thats an essential part of the game?
    Good luck selling that.
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr4vitas View Post
    Normal raids....that was kind of the point of hardmodes...the hardcores get there hardmode raid, the casuals get there normal raid.
    Except you need a raiding guild to do normal mode raids. (PuGs were never and have never been plentiful for current raiding content)

Not everyone has the time commitment to be in a raiding guild.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Then, really, is there even any content for casuals aside from pointless side activities?
    Casual players don't all agree on what's good content. This is the fallacy here.

Pet Battles was casual friendly but who is staying subbed to play Pet Battles? I doubt very many.

I truly feel that if you're going to cater to this new "majority" of gamers then your strategy of retaining players for months at a time is going to prove almost impossible for you.