Thread: Is AMD so bad?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Is AMD so bad?

Hi! I recently build what i personal think is a badass computer :P But i feel like i aint getting that performance on WoW that i was looking for..

My specs:

The AMD FX-8350
    Sabertooth 990fx r2
    15gb hyper x 1600mhz
    Radeon HD 7950
    OCZ Revodrive

And im running Windows 8.1.

I can get around 45 fps in shrine or stormwind during peak hours when i should be above 80...

Yes i have the latest drivers installed.

Why is windows 8 so bad for gaming?

15+ Year Old Account
    Basically if you think of it this way...

AMD has powerful graphics cards with crappy drivers.

NVIDA has less-than-standard graphics cards with decent drivers.

NVIDA has lost it's way in the computing world that a majority of thier video cards are just renamed variants of their current top of the line video card.

I'm not touching the OS in question though. I'm heavily bias AGAINST Microtosh OS 8.

Edit: I have the same GPU as you, but since I do a lot of recording and video-based things I don't go "OMG EVERYTHING EXTREEM UTLRA I WANT THE SPARKLIES TO HAVE SPARKLIES!"
    Last edited by Preliatus; 2013-10-31 at 08:28 AM.

Why do you think you should be above 80?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus View Post

NVIDA has lost it's way in the computing world that a majority of thier video cards are just renamed variants of their current top of the line video card.

I'm not touching the OS in question though. I'm heavily bias AGAINST Microtosh OS 8.
    Word bro! I have always been AMD fan but if i seriously need to completly re buy a motherboard and intel cpu im gona be ruined for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Why do you think you should be above 80?
    Be couse my guildies run even worse gear than me and they get above 80fps on high settings..

Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus View Post

Funny that part considering nvidia has been having lots of driver issues with their 700 series.

OT: For wow intel cpus are better.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can my screen have anything to do with my frames and screen tearing problems?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Funny that part considering nvidia has been having lots of driver issues with their 700 series.

OT: For wow intel cpus are better.
    Yeah that is why i dont like nvidia now just be couse of the driver issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mathswk View Post
    Can my screen have anything to do with my frames and screen tearing problems?
    firstly; Put vsync on and no, your screen shouldn't interfere with frames tbh.
    secondly; AMD cpu's aren't optimal for gaming and windows 8 is quite good.
    What screen res are you running everything on and what do you have shadows on?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    firstly; Put vsync on and no, your screen shouldn't interfere with frames tbh.
    secondly; AMD cpu's aren't optimal for gaming and windows 8 is quite good.
    What screen res are you running everything on and what do you have shadows on?
    Running DVI cable on 1650x1080, Shadows are set to low, I think Windows 8 is quite good once you get the hang of it :P Why isnt AMD cpus optional for gaming?

Running DVI cable on 1650x1080, Shadows are set to low, I think Windows 8 is quite good once you get the hang of it :P Why isnt AMD cpus optional for gaming?
    More cores but less clock speed == less performance since WoW doesn't utilize multi-cores as good as most new games.
    It's good to see you have shadows on low, it's a major impact on your FPS.
    Do not worry too much about performance in shrine/stormwind/raids tho - WoW has terrible architecture and will not get the most of the power your hardware can squeeze out. There is no current setup known (affordable atleast 2k-5k) that is able to run WoW on everything max at 1080p+ in 25 man raids with lots of addons with 60 fps.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-10-31 at 08:42 AM.

Its more or less about how much money you want to spend compared to what quality you want to have. If you got the money, there is no reason to not go Intel CPU and nVidia GPU. If you wanna save, go the other way.

Im lucky enough to get to see sales and return numbers from most hardware companys in the world, and i would be caught dead with an ATI GPU currently. But its not as bad as it sounds, fanboys will tell you that their choice is the only choice. Check around on forums, try to learn how good your stuff is by checking tests from actual gamers and you will find out what you need to make an informative decision about hardware.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Your CPU is in the middle of the pack, so no its not as bad as some might say.

I would not use Windows 8 for gaming tho, its not stable enough yet to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Your CPU is in the middle of the pack, so no its not as bad as some might say.
    Not benchmarked with games == useless chart, gaming performance mostly varies a lot compared to a general benchmark like that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi! I recently build what i personal think is a badass computer :P But i feel like i aint getting that performance on WoW that i was looking for..

My specs:

The AMD FX-8350
    Sabertooth 990fx r2
    15gb hyper x 1600mhz
    Radeon HD 7950
    OCZ Revodrive

And im running Windows 8.1.

I can get around 45 fps in shrine or stormwind during peak hours when i should be above 80...

Yes i have the latest drivers installed.

Why is windows 8 so bad for gaming?
    It's because WoW is OLD. It's not that your PC is bad. WoW runs is like an old, tired horse; trustworthy and steady, but slow and doesn't use all that new saddle.

The AMD FX-8350
    Providing you don't have insane settings IE. shadows on ultra, 8xAA, 16xAF that CPU is most likely the cause of your problem. Like somebody else mentioned WoW is an extremely old game and has had technical bandages over the years to try and improve it but under the hood its still 10 years old. From what i remember it really only supports 2 main threads (AKA 2 CPU cores) with very minimal usage on a 3rd.

Depite your CPU having 8 core's WoW is really only using 2.5 at best and unfortunately your CPU has very poor performance when only utilizing a few core's compared to any relevant Intel I5 or I7. This is made somewhat irrelevant on newer games such as battlefield 4 where it will support up to 8 threads but as i said earlier unless you're running all settings completely maxed you might just be out of luck for WoW unless they patch something in next Xpac.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the info guys, Yeah WoW is old...Aaand i kinda only play WoW...maybe some LoL. Maybe i should invest in BF4 or some other games to see its performance on my pc

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the info guys, Yeah WoW is old...Aaand i kinda only play WoW...maybe some LoL. Maybe i should invest in BF4 or some other games to see its performance on my pc
    WoW relies on the single core IPC which is very lacking in the 8350, It will play newer games more than fine but for an old engine's like WoW you're gonna have problems. Overclocking your CPU to 4.6.4.7 and you should start having the same performance as a stock 3770 which should run the game more than fine.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Not really...I was so sold out on all the intel hype that I wouldn't even look at AMD and rightly so, but after building my GF's system using an FX 6300 and an old GTX 580 I came to realize that AMD aint so bad after all, her system plays all the latest games at 1080p with high settings no problems, not only that the price per performance is really good.
    So Is AMD so bad?.... not at all

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Not really...I was so sold out on all the intel hype that I wouldn't even look at AMD and rightly so, but after building my GF's system using an FX 6300 and an old GTX 580 I came to realize that AMD aint so bad after all, her system plays all the latest games at 1080p with high settings no problems, not only that the price per performance is really good.
    So Is AMD so bad?.... not at all
    This really. Most people say intel is much better so they get hyped. Its not that big differense between amd and intel in power. Sure intel is a bit better but amd is cheaper. 8350 competes with intel 3570k and in a program that can use 4 cores 3570k is a bit better but in 8 cores the 8350 destroys the 3570k. I think your friends are lying, checking the fps in a less crowded place or maybe have less addons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    This really. Most people say intel is much better so they get hyped. Its not that big differense between amd and intel in power. Sure intel is a bit better but amd is cheaper. 8350 competes with intel 3570k and in a program that can use 4 cores 3570k is a bit better but in 8 cores the 8350 destroys the 3570k. I think your friends are lying, checking the fps in a less crowded place or maybe have less addons.
    Games which can use 8 cores are rare.

Besides, overclocked 3570k destroys it regardless. AMD CPUs should be reserved for budget builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Games which can use 8 cores are rare.

Besides, overclocked 3570k destroys it regardless. AMD CPUs should be reserved for budget builds.
    8350 vs 3570k is pretty close in performance in non-ancient games and both overclocked the difference isn't that big. Would I get the 8350 over the 3570k now? No. Would I get the 8350 over the 3570k If mantle is supported across a large portion of new games? Yes.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the medium-low and medium-high field, AMD seems to be the best choice. Nvidia is living out of it's name there.

In the high-end it's up to the one you prefer as the most expensive cards are quite similar, as long as they are in the same range.

It's the same story with CPU's,

At low range AMD is the best option as it's as good as intel and way cheaper. But if you want a top notch CPU go with Intel most of the times.

At the end it all comes down to you and your computer usage tho.