Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Overtaking the "#1 MMO spot" is like taking over the best soft drink spot. It's all flavor and no matter what you do people will love one over the other and the rest will flock to the most popular.

Regardless of that, I doubt anything in the next 5 or so years will shake the MMORPG foundations to the point where Blizzard can no longer stand on. Their roots are firmly in place, if not just because of their past games and names they use. The genre would either have to fan out naturally or something terrible must happen much worse than what people considered "the worst expansion ever" (Cataclysm).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Off course all the data doesn't matter. Funny how you have no source to back up "growth".

Traffic data for GW2.com
    Traffic data for Guildwars2guru.com
    Traffic data for GW2 subreddit
    Xfire
    Raptr
    Twitch viewership
    Sales from NCSoft's official earnings releases
    Viewership for GW2 Youtube Channnels like Dontain and WoodenPotatoes
    Even NCSoft's stock price

All of those sources have one thing in common, a 80% to 90% drop since launch, it isn't just "sPvP". That is better that the "nothing" you provide.
    Once again.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/28/guil...illion-copies/
    “So much has happened in the past twelve months that sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that it was just one year ago today that we launched Guild Wars 2”, wrote ArenaNet president Mike O’Brien in a blog post today.

“If you haven’t joined us yet, there’s never been a better time. Whether you’d rather wage war in epic battles with hundreds of players, test your skills against fellow players in our competitive PvP scene, or just explore a vast world that offers new surprises every time you log in, I invite you to check out Guild Wars 2 today”.

According to the information posted in the graphic, the game has sold 3.5 million copies and has had 460,000 peak concurrent users.
    By the way they are not aloud to post that if its not true. Also look at the pic in the link they posted.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Once again.
    Yeah, box sales really matter. Said no MMO company ever. If you want to count box sales WoW sold 40+ million. That doesn't mean it has 40 million players.

Another example, D3 sold 12 million copies in 2012. Jay Wilson said at the end of 2012 only 1 million players were left playing. Again, box sales meant nothing. It is just a mealiness stat that bad MMOs that had terrible retention boast about. As I also, said, boasting about concurrent users at launch is another tactic failed MMOs do. Just wait for the NCSoft sales call in 2 weeks, there will be another surprise.

Let me repeat, for an MMO to succeed it needs to retain players. Boasting about launch numbers mean nothing. Look at GW2 sales right now, it is doing terrible. It had 2 40% off sales advertised on MMO champion. It had a week long free trial. It had 2 30% sales on Amazon. All of this, in Oct '13. The game needs players because it is going down faster than the Titanic.
    Last edited by Sharuko; 2013-11-02 at 04:31 AM.

Yeah, box sales really matter. Said no MMO company ever. If you want to count box sales WoW sold 40+ million. That doesn't mean it has 40 million players.

Another example, D3 sold 12 million copies in 2012. Jay Wilson said at the end of 2012 only 1 million players were left playing. Again, box sales meant nothing. It is just a mealiness stat that bad MMOs that had terrible retention boast about. As I also, said, boasting about concurrent users at launch is another tactic failed MMOs do. Just wait for the NCSoft sales call in 2 weeks, there will be another surprise.

Let me repeat, for an MMO to succeed it needs to retain players. Boasting about launch numbers mean nothing. Look at GW2 sales right now, it is doing terrible. It had 2 40% off sales advertised on MMO champion. It had a week long free trial. It had 2 30% sales on Amazon. All of this, in Oct '13. The game needs players because it is going down faster than the Titanic.
    Yet you keep ignoring the
    has had 460,000 peak concurrent users
    Also if u think box sells means nothing you are a idiot all sells even more so for a f2p or B2p MMO matters.

I'm done with this because you clearly keep ignoring what is in the link and only pick the parts out u want to bash.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Yet you keep ignoring the Also if u think box sells means nothing you are a idiot all sells even more so for a f2p or B2p MMO matters.
    Those are launch concurrent users. It was 400k concurrent right before launch. It was 460k concurrent users right after launch (first week) Again, LAUNCH means NOTHING. It is all about retention. Again, GW2 followed pretty much the same patch as SWTOR. A massive launch, and then a massive decline. SWTOR also had massive concurrent users at launch and like GW2 a massive decline.

All sources everywhere show that it was anywhere from a 80% to 90% drop since launch. At the moment, GW2 and SWTOR are on the same tier, they are both niche MMOs with a small fanbase. They expected to be huge, but failed. But I am sure they have small communities that like the game. They aren't growing, they are still declining. But to be fair to them all MMOs are declining, Eve might be the exception.

Also if u think box sells means nothing you are a idiot all sells even more so for a f2p or B2p MMO matters.
    Most people in MMOs will tell you it is all about retention. Gaffney from WildStar who was also a founder of Turbine always says, you can sell 6 million copies. But if everyone quits the next month, it means nothing. The game failed. MMOs are all about retention.

Here is a video link for you:

http://youtu.be/HuFGQbf5AdE?t=27m56s
    Last edited by Sharuko; 2013-11-02 at 05:21 AM.

I honestly doubt that there can be something that is as long lasting and big that's still worth being called a mmo.

Everquest Next .. it has things in it that are NEW to mmos like world within worlds and destructible world.

I hate combat in elder scroll games and it looks the same in the mmo so I think people will not like it that much (casuals)

Those are launch concurrent users. It was 400k concurrent right before launch. It was 460k concurrent users right after launch (first week) Again, LAUNCH means NOTHING.
    It can't be Launch concurrent users when its a year later......did you not see the part where it says the game hit 1 year old.

By you logic GW1 failed and yet its still going strong for almost 10 years. If Guild Wars 2 fail it would be going f2p or shutting down but its not. Guild Wars 2 is pumping out content left and right. The server pop is sitting steady and has for quite some time. Is it growing at a rappit state no but its slowy growing and has been since release. If the game failed or was dying it would have signs that show it like what SWTOR had in its early days but its not.

You can't say its launch concurrent users when the post was a year later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? After the butt whooping SWTOR took you are really going to start this again?
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, NOPE, and HELL NO. Titan will take #1 spot from WoW...and then the top two will be Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Nope, NOPE, and HELL NO. Titan will take #1 spot from WoW...and then the top two will be Blizz.
    Seeing how titan was scrapped and is now back on the drawing board I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    1. Lol

2. Maybe

3. Rofl

4. Seriosly doubt it. The video games made after GOT are shit, further enforcing the fact that games made after movies and movies made after games are utter crap.

5. Rofl

6. Very likely actually. This game promises tons of content.

7. Never heard of it.

8. Never heard of it

9. Most definitely but that's so far away that it doesn't even count

10. Never heard of it

Recently Released (getting great reviews):

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. It's crap, trust me, I made the mistake of buying it.
    This is so accurate. I personally belong to the Wildstar community now, and have fallen IN LOVE with the game and all its content. So excited to get my hands on it.

I think elder scrolls will definitely steal some of the WoW userbase. Morrowind MMO has been my lifelong dream :O

Not a chance. Blizzard releases more content per patch than these games will have in their first expansion.
    Only legitimate chances lay with:
    Final Fantasy, which is continually shooting itself in the foot by prioritizing the wrong content and pushing back the right content.
    Wildstar, which last I checked is happy to announce features that didn't work right in Classic WoW (IE 40 man raiding).
    and Elder Scrolls, which I recognize has a fan base, but as we have seen with Swtor, that doesn't count for much when the customer service is useless, and the end game is completable in 2 casual weeks of play.

What should be noted is that many people are going away from MMORPGs all together. When one game dominates the market as it does, its some time a turn off for people to check the others. This is the case here, and I would easily say as WoW has less people playing, so does the general market itself.
    MMORPGs take an immense amount of time to play and progress through, so why play another one after 8 years in WoW? If I were to quit WoW I would be quitting the genre all together.

Soon as something like nerve gear comes out any VMMORPG, hopefully like SAO, will destroy any MMO on the market and will have record everything due to it's popularity.

Deleted
    No. WoW has a huge base of players that the other games don´t have. We always see players come when new xpac or patches come out and go shortly after the content is "old" but the base stays. The new mmo´s don´t have this base of players. The new players just go in absorve content and leave and try another mmo or go back to wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eren Yaeger View Post
    Soon as something like nerve gear comes out any VMMORPG, hopefully like SAO, will destroy any MMO on the market and will have record everything due to it's popularity.
    I would give my let leg and my first born for a MMO like SAO or Dot Hack.....

But remember you must learn your class or you will die.....for real lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhyun View Post
    No. WoW has a huge base of players that the other games don´t have.
    Huge sub best yes but there is other games with a player base that is the same or higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wildstar (maybe Everquest) will probably be the most successful game in that bunch but still not come close to active players compared to WoW. The end game content in WoW is too hard to compete with at this point honestly.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Quote Originally Posted by Palmz View Post
    Wildstar (maybe Everquest) will probably be the most successful game in that bunch but still not come close to active players compared to WoW. The end game content in WoW is too hard to compete with at this point honestly.
    This is debatable, I don't really consider WoW's end game to be all that fulfilling. It's great if you like raids, the game has almost always been completely focused on raid content and Blizzard does raiding well relative to most of its competitors. However, there's a lot of room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Make it a poll and you'll see better results. I think Elder Scrolls Online will become the biggest MMO to date. Extremely big and loyal RPG fanbase not counting MMO players. Also, it's across 3 platforms. Yep.
    While it does have all this going for it, I don't think the subscription model will end up doing too well on consoles on top of requiring a PSN or XBO sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15