Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Making the World of Warcraft Dangerous.

When I'm talking about the World of Warcraft, I'm talking about the actual "World". The place in between the dungeons and raids and scenarios; the place where we do our questing and gathering.

Right now, doing anything out in the World of Warcraft is entirely non-threatening. There was a brief time at the beginning of MoP when rares were actually difficult to kill. Now that we completely outgear them, they are just lootbags that sit out in the world. The timeless isle has done a good job of reintroducing mobs where you actually have to pay attention to mechanics, and I hope that trend continues.

No matter what level you are, quest mobs tend to fall over without any objection. You can quest, admire the pretty scenery, kill an easy bunch of mobs, and then go turn in the quest for a reward. What if it wasn't that simple? I'm proposing that an element of danger gets added to the World of Warcraft.

1. Environmental Danger: You're riding along a path, and suddenly you're caught in a sinkhole. If you were alt-tabbed reading the forums, you're dead. You're fighting a mob, and suddenly a wall next to you begins to crumble. If you don't react, you're dead. You're fighting your way through a cavern, and poisonous gas begins to leak up from the floor. If you don't make it to higher ground quickly (you guessed it), you're dead. EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: None of these mechanics would be guaranteed insta-kills. You would have to react to survive.

2. Traps: We've actually seen quite a few things like this, especially around the Isle of Thunder. These are quite similar to environmental dangers, and the only difference is that they were supposedly created by your enemy. I'd like to see more traps, more sudden danger that makes you care about your health bar. What if your character was actually kidnapped, and you had to escape?

3. Being Hunted: This is my favorite idea. Right now, you have to be near a mob for it to notice you. What if some mobs were looking for you as soon as you set foot into a zone or area? You'd have normal quests and objectives to complete, but you'd have to constantly be watching over your shoulder for mobs who are looking for you. What if you couldn't even defeat these mobs, like in Resident Evil? Your only option would be to run.

This is getting pretty long, so I'd like to open it up to all of you. What are some ways we can make WoW more dangerous? Should it even become more dangerous?
    Last edited by NiceJazzhands; 2013-11-01 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They sound horrible. I like the world as it is and I want it to be dynamic, but not like Minecraft where you can't go outside of a city at night.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    They sound horrible. I like the world as it is and I want it to be dynamic, but not like Minecraft where you can't go outside of a city at night.

you are what is wrong with world of warcraft today. Maybe they can make a LFE "looking for evironment" just for you cause any sense of danger is SCARY in a VIDEO game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the idea 3, but dislike the rest =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post

you are what is wrong with world of warcraft today.
    Because I don't want to get ganked in Elwynn at level 90?

Look, his ideas aren't cool. They're just a larger repair bill. Don't kill me by way of stuff I can't predict, you don't even do that in raids. Kill players that don't know what they're doing, make the actual enemies harder to kill. Not random sinkholes I can't predict coming.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Horrible is a bit hyperbolic! I don't think they were that bad.

What kinds of things are you thinking of when you say dynamic?

- - - Updated - - -

Because I don't want to get ganked in Elwynn at level 90?

Look, his ideas aren't cool. They're just a larger repair bill. Don't kill me by way of stuff I can't predict, you don't even do that in raids. Kill players that don't know what they're doing, make the actual enemies harder to kill. Not random sinkholes I can't predict coming.
    The point is that you'll live if you can react to things.
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the first one working well but the other 2 have potential. Random NPC "bandit" patrols and such would be cool.
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

Where is the report button? I want to report you for being ignorant. The ideas are really nice, I've been thinking about the same thing for the past 4 years. Also these changes do not affect how dynamic the world is in any way. They make it more engaging, not slower. You can still take the flight path, you can still fly with your mount. But while you are leveling in a zone and you are not paying attention...boom man.

Don't like 1, 2 is meh, but I kinda like 3. But expect the playerbase to rage because nowadays its too hardcore for them to handle :P

Sounds like a "remove flying mounts" thread to me.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

10+ Year Old Account
    the higher your ilvl is more rare elite mobs know who you are and are searching you out to kill you!
    this would make the world more dangerous the more 'leet' you are as a player.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by Razecog View Post
    Sounds like a "remove flying mounts" thread to me.
    It's odd that you say that, because I didn't mention flying mounts at all. I'd like to keep them, personally.

What do you think about what I actually said?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    the higher your ilvl is more rare elite mobs know who you are and are searching you out to kill you!
    this would make the world more dangerous the more 'leet' you are as a player.
    Nice suggestion! I also think the mobs should scale in power with you.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceJazzhands View Post
    It's odd that you say that, because I didn't mention flying mounts at all. I'd like to keep them, personally.

What do you think about what I actually said?
    Well, I kinda like the idea #3. But it would be >impossible< to implement without removing flying mounts. Unless it's only in no-fly zones.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

3. Being Hunted: This is my favorite idea. Right now, you have to be near a mob for it to notice you. What if some mobs were looking for you as soon as you set foot into a zone or area? You'd have normal quests and objectives to complete, but you'd have to constantly be watching over your shoulder for mobs who are looking for you. What if you couldn't even defeat these mobs, like in Resident Evil? Your only option would be to run.
    Most people would do LFG instead of questing. Saying they are forced to. Eventually it would kill questing all together.

Make the mobs as hard as you want. But please don't make mobs search for me. I've been sitting here waiting for a Rare/Elite to respawn and when I engage it, another mob comes and one shots me cause I can't kill it? Or maybe I run but some other douchebag gets my rare/elite/quest mob. Eventually all this does is waste my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Razecog View Post
    Well, I kinda like the idea #3. But it would be >impossible< to implement without removing flying mounts. Unless it's only in no-fly zones.
    You're right that this would really only work in no-fly zones, because everything could by bypassed otherwise. There could be dangers in the skies, but players have very few options to defend themselves in the air, or if they become dismounted in the air. It would be unfair unless everyone had a way to counter a mid-air attack.

you are what is wrong with world of warcraft today. Maybe they can make a LFE "looking for evironment" just for you cause any sense of danger is SCARY in a VIDEO game.
    Nothing is wrong with the game. Loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Most people would do LFG instead of questing. Saying they are forced to. Eventually it would kill questing all together.

Make the mobs as hard as you want. But please don't make mobs search for me. I've been sitting here waiting for a Rare/Elite to respawn and when I engage it, another mob comes and one shots me cause I can't kill it? Or maybe I run but some other douchebag gets my rare/elite/quest mob. Eventually all this does is waste my time.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit much to say something like this would kill questing forever.

What if there was a way to opt out of pursuit, but a reward for being pursued and living?

Razecog read my mind in the post right below me! A bounty would be cool.
    Last edited by NiceJazzhands; 2013-11-01 at 04:13 PM.

You're right that this would really only work in no-fly zones, because everything could by bypassed otherwise. There could be dangers in the skies, but players have very few options to defend themselves in the air, or if they become dismounted in the air. It would be unfair unless everyone had a way to counter a mid-air attack.
    Just to add to idea #3, what if you sort of got a "bounty" the more quests you completed in a zone? Would make sense and make leveling experience abit more immersive.

10+ Year Old Account
    really all we need are some more Fel Reavers
    some sort of you-can't-just-afk-in-the-outside-world mechanic

- - - Updated - - -

i mean if you wanna afk, do it in a city/inn

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

No, he's not. People don't want to go afk or alt-tab and die just because the open world is super dangerous. That's not fun.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu