Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Undead Paladins ---> Would it work?

As a class, would the lore support the undead able to become paladins?

Deleted
    Undead paladins are deathknights. As palandins paladins tho, no. Light burns the undead.

There's only one undead paladin and that's Sir Zeliek.

I think as soon as they use a spell they will explode, so I guess not :P.
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

They can, but it's exceptionally hard for them. Way to hard for them to make sense as regular player characters.

It would work in a single player game or P&P where you only have 1-2 total in the world, but having a hundred running around in WoW wouldn't make any sense.

Deleted
    Light burning the undead? How can undead be priests using holy spells? Not so into lore so please explain for me

If there's lore for it. Here, let me spin something.

Following the fall of the Lich King the ghost of Sir Zeliek reappeared in his homeland (somewhere in Lordaeron?). It began appearing to certain undead warriors and priests much like how Uther's ghost appears in a few quests. He sought to help redeem some of the Forsaken and guide them back towards righteousness. A new order was formed following his example and they become a bridge between the Forsaken and the Argent Crusade.

Okay, that's not much but it could work. So long as someone comes up with a reason for why/how Sylvanas doesn't squash them before they get too powerful.

personally i would like to see every race beeing able to pick every class so we could pick based on looks.
    But I know it doesent make much sense lore wise.

And its not way to hard for regular player characters to be a undead pally rly. I mean, the regular players have killed things like Deathwing, Lichking and Old gods to mention a few. but thats my opinion ofc

Deleted
    I think undead priests work because they're more about healing dudes, whereas the paladins are more about smiting undead dudes.

Deleted
    Undead Paladin?No.The Light itself burns the Undead,so unless an Undead is willing to endure pain whenever he uses the light he can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avengex View Post
    Light burning the undead? How can undead be priests using holy spells? Not so into lore so please explain for me
    That's purely for gameplay reasons.
    Lore wise, undead can only be shadow priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    just for gameplay.. doesn't make sense forcing every player that rolls an undead priest to play as Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Turmoill View Post
    Light burns the undead.
    that explains my undead priest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmbryant91 View Post
    just for gameplay.. doesn't make sense forcing every player that rolls an undead priest to play as Shadow.
    This.It has been confirmed that the Undead Priest works only because of the shadow aspect,even though an Undead priest can use the Holy Light,just like any Undead,it causes damage to them/it pains them.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    that explains my undead priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turmoill View Post
    That's purely for gameplay reasons.
    Lore wise, undead can only be shadow priests.
    I'm pretty sure that some Lore Q&A have stated that yes indeed, undead can use the holy light, but it's extremely painful, has a cauterizing-like effect, and as a side effect can restore some sense, thing YOU DON'T WANT as an undead.

When undead use or are healed by the Holy Light, does it cause them any actual damage or harm, or does it only cause them pain (in addition to the intended effects of the spell)?

Channeling the Light in any way, or receiving healing from the Light, only causes pain. Forsaken priests do not disintegrate or explode from channeling the Light for an extended period of time… though they may wish they would.

Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

Source

But I think this is why forsaken don't tend to use the holy light.
    Last edited by TheDangerZone; 2013-11-01 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are 3 undead paladins in game, one in naxx, one in the argent dawn and another in the monastery i think

10+ Year Old Account
    There's that "Cult of the Forgotten Shadow" which allows some Forsaken to still wiled the powers of light as priests. I think worse wise they COULD do it, but it'd be too weird and the probably don't want another horde paladin race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    As a class, would the lore support the undead able to become paladins?
    Like I said in the forums.. SCREW LORE!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN BLIZZ!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Save the RP and Lore for RP servers

10+ Year Old Account
    When an Undead Priest uses the Holy Light, which they can do, it causes pain to them, but does not harm them,
    so it they just have work through the pain, will power and such

if they use holy light all the time, they start to 'feel' things, (like the worms eating their guts, or taste their own rotting tongue) it's not pleasent for them.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Yes, it's possible.

There are several examples in game of undead retaining their ability to wield the light.
    A few undead Paladin's exist in Kara, and most notably Lord Zelik in Naxx.

Ghosts, which are undead have been often seen wielding the light.

When Forsaken wield the light, it causes them pain, but that's bad ass.
    If a Paladin had such strong constitution to retain it's faith in undeath, and still choose to wield it under extreme pain, that's a truly dedicated Paladin.

Self mutilation kinda reminds me of some religions that imprint scars on their body with symbols after sinning, it fits perfectly with the Forsaken. That darker, more taboo part of religion/ light.

The Light causing pain or harm to the wielder, isn't a reason for them not to exist or not to be playable, but simply awesome lore to go along with the race/ class combo, sorta how Belfs have Blood Knights.