Poll: SoO vs ToT raid quality

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    Anyways, I think bosses for he most part have become too complex or annoying or just too busy. Do we really need to have addons to help us with specific bosses? aka Sha (terrace)/Malkorok. Protectors is a nightmare where I feel overwhelmed with trying to find the right damned target. Sha is annoying with its AOE on demand needed (and turn around!). Blackfuse needs to concentrate on one or two types of machinery. Garrosh is okay, at least I feel I can plan things for the most part.
    Based on you saying these fights are apparently 'hard' and to complex, I believe the only right fight for you is where you stand still the entire time and nuke the boss.. sadly that are the most boring kind.

On Protectors, try hitting 'v' once, is it really so hard to find the right one? when they have name tags, and the only time there will be so many mobs that you might have a problem finding one of the bosses, is doing Sun's intermission, and then the two mobs you need to focus down is at ranged and easily targeted.

EDIT: forgot to reply with anything related to OP.
    I love SoO, far more than I did ToT.. So many of the fights are really fun, and tho I've only done normal so far with Garrosh on 7.7m health, we will likly begin HC next week.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2013-11-01 at 11:01 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

I agree with SoO being the better raid. It felt like we were actually taking the city back and that other races & leaders were actually helping; the npcs that help with the galakras fight, the nightelves and tyrande that take out a bunch of kor'kron at the gates, the gnomes & even high tinker mekkatorque dealing with the kor'lron far below ragefire chasm, hell even Gamon "helps" on our way to Nazgrim.

I hope they keep it up with raids like this. It gives raiding, even in LFR, more depth and immersion.

Just imagine if they redid BT or ICC all invasion-style like SoO, with the Sha'tar or Argent Crusade/Ebon Knights helping in large numbers every step of the way, all the way to the very end. It would probably make those raids feel x10 more epic
    Last edited by MagicBanana; 2013-11-01 at 11:09 PM.
    "If the people who are trying to destroy this world aren't taking a day off, then why should I?"

-Bob Marley

10+ Year Old Account
    Since ToT is one of the 3 worst raids in the game, SoO is guarantied a better spot.....
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

My initial impressions were very very good. In a devchat a developer said that "Orgrimmar is going to be a bloodbath" and Wing 2 really delivered on that promise.

But then wing 3 and 4 seemed to go into some secret underground chamber. We're not laying siege to Orgrimmar.... we're invading some underground city. It's not what I was hoping for or expecting.

EDIT: The fight designs are great though. Standouts: Galakras, Iron Juggernaut, Dark Shamans, Siegecrafter Blackfuse. Iron Juggernaut and Dark Shamans don't have much in the way of mechanics. They're just epic badass bosses. Galakras and Siegecrafter Blackfuse are great examples of personal responsibility with wiggle room. Yes a handful of players have important special responsibilities, but the raid can recover if they don't perform them perfectly every time. Overall the encounters in SoO hinge less on potentially confusing mechanics and more on playing your class and making tactical decisions as a raid group.
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-11-02 at 01:17 AM.

I don't really like SoO that much. I like how its very story progressive, but I'm uninpressed by all the locations we have to fight them, and I don't really like Orgrimmar and the Underhold to fight in, both very dull places. Throne of Thunder had more of an epic feeling when you travel the place, and Lei Shen was overall a better final boss then Garrosh. But SoO had some more interesting bosses, like Sha of Pride, Nazgrim and Paragons.

I do dislike the linearity of both raids

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Since ToT is one of the 3 worst raids in the game, SoO is guarantied a better spot.....
    What are the other 2? Ulduar and Karazhan?

Prefer TOT overall. I still like SoO though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bosses in SoO are more fun then zandalari, i'm rly sick of them.
    The zones in SoO are also much more cooler then ToT.
    And the mechanics (example Garrosh) are much cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

I prefer SoO.

But lets be clear, ToT and SoO are both amazing raids and far better then the ones we had in Cataclysm.

Opinons. I'd put TOT down as 1 of the best alongside Naxx 60, Kara, BT and Ulduar

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hated ToT. First time I set foot in it, first time I even heard about it, I just thought "Well, there goes those 3-4 months...". The art, the lore, and bosses, none of it appealed to me what-so-ever (never liked troll instances to begin with, and with mogus on top? Bleh.)

Siege though... Really epic feel to that, though I'm not quite sure why we're going through the Vale when we could've just gone to Durotar... To kill Sha of Pride? But anyways, love the boss mechanics, love the layout, and those big halls! We're really going into the grand Orgrimmar of Garrosh's "True Horde". That place is just immense, dark, confusing corridors going this and that way, locked doors and big halls everywhere. The only thing I don't like about it is the amount of trash. I hate trash. But when we're killing it in such a cool place, it's something I can live with.

10+ Year Old Account
    ToT is one of best raids in WoW history lol.
    SoO is great too
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

ToT will stand the test of time as one of the better raids in WoW. It's in the same category as Ulduar in my mind, just at the lower end of that category of "best of all time".

SoO is a quality raid though, its just a little less epic feeling. The bosses aren't giant monsters, most of them are just slightly oversized humanoids. I also think the raid is a bit easier than ToT, so that lessens it for me.

Both SoO and ToT are better than ICC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Both SoO and ToT are better than ICC.
    Thats simply an opinion. I vastly prefer ICC over both of them myself

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    SoO had the unfortunate situation of it's first 8 bosses being relatively easy, and the last 4 being rock hard. ToT was much better in it's difficulty scaling.

I do have to say I like the SoO bosses better, mechanically, save for one or two. (Galakras, Nazgrim).
    Sorry but I really disagree with this. SoO difficulty scales almost perfectly from one boss to the next (Flex). First four are kind of gimmes, but starting in Wing2 the difficulty scales in a remarkably smooth gradient - though yes, by the last several bosses they can be quite hard.

The one exception to this is Spoils but I think that is a "reward" boss for getting that far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    SoO had the unfortunate situation of it's first 8 bosses being relatively easy, and the last 4 being rock hard. ToT was much better in it's difficulty scaling.
    euh what?

ToT the raid that is known for having a roadblock right on the 2nd boss when it came for lower progressed guilds?
    prehaps after nerfs and changes ToT got a better overall flow too it.
    but SoO beats difficulty scaling by miles, going from easy too hard in a far better curve. that said some bosses are harder then the ones coming after it.
    but not as shockingly much as it was in ToT

10+ Year Old Account
    Both make my Top 5 best raids
    The other 3 are Karazhan, Sunwell and Ulduar

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Thunderforged and Warforged gear has a way to big impact on the difficulty of bosses.
    Personally for me the bigger issue is that in 25m you have way more raid CDs that make many encounters easier. It's not uncommon to have 3x Aura Mastery from palies (on top of 6x bubbles on people), mini tranqs from Boomkins/SPs etc.. A lot of mechanics in SoO just call out for those raid CDs, which you just can stuff enough in 10 man :?

As for which is better?
    I like them both, but I like SoO more simply because the difficulty curve is not as fucked up as it was in ToT.. 2nd boss is not as big of a wall as Horridon was (well, Norushen can be a pain at first, but is still nowhere near Horridon)..
    There's no retardly boring gear check, that stopped us for few weeks, like Mageara did (oh god the snorfest till 5th Rampage at which we were wiping during progress..)
    There are not so many gimicky bosses like Animus was (not that I particularly dislike Animus.. He just tired me too much in ToT and was soooooo unforgiving)..
    There's no Durumu!! As a person with not so perfect eysight I despised that boss.. I spend like a week just redoing LFR to learn how to do it.. :?

And I feel more connected to SoO, since I'm a horde player, seeing all the NPCs I used to know to either be my enemies or captives.. Seeing Cleft of Shadows being destroyed, all the lock being killed (my old main used to be a lock ;()... I just really, really like it.

Aaaand as a tank in 10 man.. For the first time I felt that enemies do HIT me hard and that I can die if I don't use my CDs properly.. in ToT I didn't really have that feeling ever, unless I went for heavy stacks on fights I shouldn't have..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

I did not like ToT very much. And i found ICC about 2x better than ToT, it was just a meh raid. I am liking SoO a lot though.
    Bane