Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilent View Post
    Why is everyone assuming it will even be an existing race? IF there are new playable races, they could be something new.
    That is the one thing Blizzard will not do, they may tweek with a race so it is hardly the race we think it was.example: Dreanai, turned into good eredar. However the race was fully in lore prior to the mashup.

The Lost ones were the Dreanai of WC3, Dreanai were stealth scout units. Eredar were the leaders, and warlocks of the Burning Legion.

That is the most I would expect.

Sort of why I think the reality is Half-Ogres, and Half-Elves.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-11-03 at 10:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ogres and High Elves.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    You think that they can't both have an anti-Horde bias and still have different personalities?

EJL
    I'm sure each of the Twin Consorts have different personalites, too.

Alleria would be at the most interesting they could make her if she was at odds with both Alliance perspective/Vereesa and Horde perspective/Sylvanas. Her best story is both personal (the broken family) and global (what has happened to her people and the faction divide).

I would sincerely rather have her and Turalyon be the presumed Warlords of Draenor and destined only to be raided for epics, than for her to blithely just side up with the Alliance or the Horde. I no more buy her as standing there next to Lor'themar and practicing how to say "lok'tar ogar" than I buy her being just "ooh, grrr, imma kill every damn blood elf" as though those weren't her real and actual people that she had gone off to war for in the first place.

Lorewise, my preference would be for Turalyon to be decisively pro-Alliance but for Alleria to be very conflicted about what has befallen her people and to focus her energies on Thalassian independence because they deserve better than to be bedfellows with either the hated Orcs and trolls or with the humans (who between Arthas and Garithos, did more damage to Quel'thalas and its people than the Orcish Horde or Amani Tribe combined ever managed), dwarves (saboteurs), and night elves (just jackholes, from the historical perspective in the elven schism).

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Alleria would be at the most interesting they could make her if she was at odds with both Alliance perspective/Vereesa and Horde perspective/Sylvanas. Her best story is both personal (the broken family) and global (what has happened to her people and the faction divide).
    Make another Hero of the Alliance neutral? One who has shown an almost religious hatred for the Horde in the past? And if she goes, will her husband leave her for the Allaince? Or do you see Supreme Commander "Get off my planet you diseased filth" Turalyon going neutral as well?

I would sincerely rather have her and Turalyon be the presumed Warlords of Draenor and destined only to be raided for epics, than for her to blithely just side up with the Alliance or the Horde.
    **We** are going to need them according to Blizz.

I no more buy her as standing there next to Lor'themar and practicing how to say "lok'tar ogar" than I buy her being just "ooh, grrr, imma kill every damn blood elf" as though those weren't her real and actual people that she had gone off to war for in the first place.
    Those same Blood Elves who kicked her kin out of Silvermoon because they didn't agree with the abominations Kael'thas was teaching them?

Its easy to see Blizzard turning them both neutral as Blizzards gone with the "How can we put such a major lore figure in the game and NOT let both sides interact with him". Won't make much sense, but they've done it.

EJL

I still don't get the love for High Elves. Biologically, they are exactly the same as Blood Elves. The only thing different is their allegiance. Blood Elves -are- high elves. They are. If a High Elf left the Alliance joined the Horde, they'd automatically be considered a Blood Elf. They aren't and never will be modeled differently because they are the same race. The only reason we consider them different is eye color, and even that won't be a different for long since the Sunwell is back.

Another thing is that their story is intertwined with the humans'. Since there are less than 40,000 Alliance High Elves left (numbers rapidly decreasing. Death rate >>> Birth rate.) they really can't do anything on their own.

And no, Blood Elves will -never- join the Alliance. That storyline was just resolved with Garrosh's defeat. The only reason they wanted to leave was because Garrosh was an awful tyrant. Also, can you imagine the outrage from people who like playing the Horde as a Belf?

...Also, you guys haven't played on an RP server obviously. Have you seen High Elf roleplayers? A lot of them are absolutely vomit-inducing levels of kawaii desu uguu animu perfection.
    Last edited by Lycanroc; 2013-11-03 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typos

3DS FC: 0877-1538-7893
    PM if you add me!

Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    zombie dragons.
    A race of Nefarians and Onyxias. Count me in.

Yea, pandaren were requested quite a lot too, look what happened with them.
    No ogres, players of this game dont like fat.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people rule out races that don't have much to do with the Outlands.

For example, the worgens didn't have much to do with Cataclyms, yet we still got them. I don't understand why it has to be a race FROM Draenor, and not an Azerothian race fighting against Sargeras to protect their homeland. Plus, there could be a completely new Race, one we didn't even know exist (for example, we didn't know the Arakkoa existed till we ventured into the Outlands). What makes you think they won't make a completely new race for a place we haven't been before that is in Draenor?

My personal opinion is: High Elves for the Alliance, Ogres for the Horde.
    OR
    Naga as Neutral (Same as Pandaren).
    OR
    Ethereal as Neutral.

That, IF we get any new race at all.

15+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Ogre is inevitable at this point for the Horde.

I'm assuming it'll be Arrakoa for the Alliance just because High Elf cannot have a fancy new model if they're THE SAME AS BLOOD ELVES IN LORE.
    Well it would be easy for bliz to implement high elves, remove the green eyes and done. Orges are also already in the game..
    Personally i dont care much for races, i rather have new classes or a 4th spec for all the current classes and lvl 100 talents.

Something like this:

Warrior
    - Commander (2h + shield dps)

Hunter
    - Shadowhunter (w.o. a pet)

Shaman
    - (Earth)Warden (tanking)

DeathKnight
    - Death (mid ranged caster dps)

Paladin
    - Vindicator (caster dps)

Priest
    - Cleric (melee/holy dps)

Mage
    - Chrono(mage) (healing)

Druid
    - The Guardian (tanking)

Rogue
    - Ranger (ranged dps) (longbow, gun, xbow)

Monk
    - The Red Crane (ranged caster dps)

Warlock
    - Demonhunter (tanking)

Quote Originally Posted by Doomaz View Post
    Yea, pandaren were requested quite a lot too, look what happened with them.
    No ogres, players of this game dont like fat.
    Personally I love the Pandaren. A lot of people do, in fact. According to some charts, they're more populous than some of the vanilla races.

2.8% - Pandaren (H)
    3.2% - Pandaren (A)
    = 6% Pandaren in total.

6% - Pandaren
    --------------
    4.2% - Goblin
    5.8% - Troll
    4.4% - Dwarf
    4.8% - Gnome

Those are the races that are less popular than Pandaren.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Well it would be easy for bliz to implement high elves, remove the green eyes and done.
    I think you just missed the entire point of the post.
    Last edited by Lycanroc; 2013-11-03 at 12:09 PM.

3DS FC: 0877-1538-7893
    PM if you add me!

If we get a new race I get the feeling it will go the way pandas did. Ogres for both is not that big of a stretch considering the Ogre factions war among them selves. As for the Arrakoa, Naga, and Etherals just don't feel like a strong enough story there for them.

I think we will get a new class considering that we 2 tokens with 4 and one with 3 classes. Then there is 3 plate, 3 cloth, 3 leather but only 2 mail wearers. Also 5 tanks and 5 healer classes but only 4 pure dps. So bet we get a mail wearing pure dps. Demon Hunter could fill this roll but i think they are viewed more of a leather wearer. Demon Hunter Ogre would rock!

Make another Hero of the Alliance neutral?
    Make a hero of Quel'thalas neutral?

One who has shown an almost religious hatred for the Horde in the past?
    For what they did to Quel'thalas. Nobody has ever rained destruction down upon her race like humans, though, she just missed out on the Arthas - Garithos left/right combo.

And if she goes, will her husband leave her for the Allaince? Or do you see Supreme Commander "Get off my planet you diseased filth" Turalyon going neutral as well?
    No, I basically see what we got in Wrath of the Lich King when Rhonin conned neutral to both factions and Vereesa conned green/red but was not a combat unit. Alleria and Turalyon respectively.

**We** are going to need them according to Blizz.
    Pretty much rendered meaningless if they both show up as Horde-slaughtering Blood Elf haters, thanks for pointing out

Those same Blood Elves who kicked her kin out of Silvermoon because they didn't agree with the abominations Kael'thas was teaching them?
    The same zealous and vindictive nature you brag about? Is the same reason why she might well have been standing next to her Prince teaching them, at least at the outset. She'd have been willing to go as far as Liadrin did, probably. She certainly would have taken the Sin'dorei name when it was declared, would have followed Kael'thas into battle both in Lordaeron and in Northrend, and, yeah, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that she'd have been willing to siphon mana from an organism to maintain the strength and sanity necessary to protect her home.

Its easy to see Blizzard turning them both neutral as Blizzards gone with the "How can we put such a major lore figure in the game and NOT let both sides interact with him". Won't make much sense, but they've done it.

EJL
    So the "we" they spoke of... just the Alliance characters are going to need them, the Horde characters are going is going to need to stay out of aggro range, that's what you figure they meant? Good. luck. with. that.
    Last edited by Stormdash; 2013-11-03 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    Personally I love the Pandaren. A lot of people do, in fact. According to some charts, they're more populous than some of the vanilla races.

2.8% - Pandaren (H)
    3.2% - Pandaren (A)
    = 6% Pandaren in total.

6% - Pandaren
    --------------
    4.2% - Goblin
    5.8% - Troll
    4.4% - Dwarf
    4.8% - Gnome

people might be playing pandaren, but they got so much hate upon the announcement of mists of pandaria.
    just saying, same could happen for the ogres because of their body type

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoregon View Post
    I'm still really doubting we'll get any new races this go round, as they are already working on retooling the 8 original races.
    I wouldn't have anything against if the decided to skip 2 new races and instead focusing on the new character models.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post

2.8% - Pandaren (H)
    3.2% - Pandaren (A)
    = 6% Pandaren in total.

6% - Pandaren
    --------------
    4.2% - Goblin
    5.8% - Troll
    4.4% - Dwarf
    4.8% - Gnome

- - - Updated - - -

I think you just missed the entire point of the post.
    Yes, even with the benefit of being available to both factions, they still end up only half way up the rankings.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Make a hero of Quel'thalas neutral?
    She was such a hero of QT that she essentially abandoned her nation to fight the Horde. Anatserion pulled out fot eh Allaicne and she fought for them anyway.

For what they did to Quel'thalas.
    The undead did that. Not humanity. They undead. Who are now - in part - the BElfs allies.

Pretty much rendered meaningless if they both show up as Horde-slaughtering Blood Elf haters, thanks for pointing out
    As I said, Blizzard has a habit of neutering heroes simply so both factions gain access. Which is a pity as that removes much of the benefit of having such heroes.

he same zealous and vindictive nature you brag about? Is the same reason why she might well have been standing next to her Prince teaching them, at least at the outset. She'd have been willing to go as far as Liadrin did, probably. She certainly would have taken the Sin'dorei name when it was declared, would have followed Kael'thas into battle both in Lordaeron and in Northrend, and, yeah, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that she'd have been willing to siphon mana from an organism to maintain the strength and sanity necessary to protect her home.
    And having seen all that that did to Darenor, having seen all the corruption of the Burning Legion, having known what such magics actually do and having seen the changes wrought in the BElfs as a result of such an abomination...do you think she'd be willign to accept it after the fact? Less zealous HElfs haven't.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    She was such a hero of QT that she essentially abandoned her nation to fight the Horde. Anatserion pulled out fot eh Allaicne and she fought for them anyway.
    She never defied Anasterian. He didn't leave the Alliance until some time after she'd gone through the portal; BtDP makes it clear that the high elves were still in the Alliance at this point, but cracks were starting to show.

... Literally the last thing she says in the book is, "For Quel'Thalas!"

I think you've had a rather gross misreading of her character arc if you feel she, the person whose favourite pastime was licking tainted blood off her sword, would put personal morality above pragmatism, vengeance and survival. Because three of those define her character. One does not.

And given the entire point of her character arc was for Turalyon to snap her out of her deranged hatred of the orcs (not entirely sure how you missed that), I somehow doubt that's going to be a thing twenty years and several apocalypses later.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-11-03 at 02:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    OGRES FOR THE HORDE! WOOOO!!!!!! FINALLY! MY OGRE MAGE!

and for the alliance....who give a rat's tuckus!

The undead did that. Not humanity. They undead. Who are now - in part - the BElfs allies.
    The undead, led by the arrogant dilettante upstart kin-slaying King of Lordaeron. Why is it that characters from Alliance races are instantly totally dissociated from their race/faction ties when they turn evil? Doesn't seem to work that way on the other side of the ledger. Hell, the entire Blood Elf race is married to what Kael'thas did when he went fully nuts despite having a good chunk of the lore credit for stopping him. But Arthas... man, he just magically stops being an Alliance human by association at all the second he (totally voluntarily) picks up that sword. Convenient, that.

As I said, Blizzard has a habit of neutering heroes simply so both factions gain access. Which is a pity as that removes much of the benefit of having such heroes.
    In Alleria's case, it's actually writing with some nuance and sophistication for her to be neutral. Her coming screaming back to one faction or the other is the lazy hack move.

And having seen all that that did to Darenor, having seen all the corruption of the Burning Legion, having known what such magics actually do and having seen the changes wrought in the BElfs as a result of such an abomination...do you think she'd be willign to accept it after the fact? Less zealous HElfs haven't.

EJL
    In your very neatly contrived fantasy that she wouldn't begrudge the Alliance races anything of what they did before, during, and after the Third War, I suppose her disillusionment with her own people would be total and absolute despite her known personality favoring the vengeful zeal of the Blood Elves.

But I would like to think she would be like "what do you mean, the Alliance forces that survived the corrupt human's undead army tried to send my not-crazy-yet Prince into a suicide mission? What do you mean that none of their former allies tried to help them at their lowest point and instead starting spying, sabotaging, and encroaching on their lands? What do you mean you are allies with the Night Elves now?"

The Alliance isn't the one she fought beside for her homeland, nor does its actions crap ice-cream rainbows when it comes to the Sin'dorei being where they are now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    She never defied Anasterian. He didn't leave the Alliance until some time after she'd gone through the portal; BtDP makes it clear that the high elves were still in the Alliance at this point, but cracks were starting to show.

... Literally the last thing she says in the book is, "For Quel'Thalas!"

I think you've had a rather gross misreading of her character arc if you feel she, the person whose favourite pastime was licking tainted blood off her sword, would put personal morality above pragmatism, vengeance and survival. Because three of those define her character. One does not.

And given the entire point of her character arc was for Turalyon to snap her out of her deranged hatred of the orcs (not entirely sure how you missed that), I somehow doubt that's going to be a thing twenty years and several apocalypses later.
    Best post on this subject ever.