resto shaman so boring ?

Hey all.

I recently started playing my resto offspec actively. few days ago, I was asked to go resto for juggernaut and dark shaman heroic since our main healer was away. I never healed anything above flex difficulty. Everyone was giving me credit for being good and not fucking up however after we were done, the other healer made a comment about how it goes like" bring the shaman not the player". I think he is right. most of my healing comes from healing stream totem and healing rain.

I think imo the smart healing option is making healing abit boring. Anyways I am not very experienced when it comes to healing in general, I have always been a dps. my question is, is this the case with resto shamans only to put down a totem and go afk or does every healer in the game have a healing stream totem like ability but they are just mocking shamans coz they cant beat it ?

cheers

Malkorok breaks (afaik) smart healing, so at least that could be fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Malkorok breaks (afaik) smart healing, so at least that could be fun...
    Nope. Just pop Healing Tide at the start, HR on melee, CH on CD on your tank with ES + Ripide, HST on CD. There, 200k+ HPS while watching T.V.

Atonement? Illuminated healing? Mushrooms? Beacon? Take your pick...

Healing in general is too smart heal based for me. I miss the triage healing they tried to create in cata where HPS meant a bit more. Now days there's so many smart heals it hardly feels like I'm doing anything.

I know I'm a great shaman healer but there isnt much of a difference between me and the bloke that puts healing rain/ HST out on CD.

That being said I'm glad we are at least incorporated in to the OP healing style in effect now days. I just hope Bliz has the balls to cut it all back next expack and let smart heals have less of an impact on healing game play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    I miss the triage healing they tried to create in cata where HPS meant a bit more. Now days there's so many smart heals it hardly feels like I'm doing anything.
    This. Lots of people hated it at first, but it was engaging for healers. It sucks knowing that whatever you do outside of HR, HST and CDs is trivial for most fights.

Agreed on not liking the dominance of smart healing over triage. Healers now are more or less healing sticks that run around in a raid, there's no real skill involved or decision making needs. With triage you need to be the smart healer, not the heals themselves. And with smart heals being the norm we're back to everyone needing to be topped off constantly because of huge raid damage. It's dull.

Hopefully next expansion we'll just be remembering the smart healing days of Mists.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post

Hopefully next expansion we'll just be remembering the smart healing days of Mists.
    Possibly...with the effect of even less people willing to heal LFR or Flex mode - it will be like the current situation with tanks only (much) worse. I'm against too many smarts heals, but if healing went back to punishing mana management / difficulty at the start of Cata, it will be a disaster for anything other than progression guilds (even then, off-spec healing could be hurt as well.) There needs to be a better balance between smart heals vs smart player triage healing - but swinging completely back the other way would be very bad for the game overall. If they want to make mana a non-issue even in lvl 100 blues and make the actual healing more of a challenge (more like WotLK,) that could work out ok.

Everything will feel formulaic if you do it long enough. Dps rotations are Dps rotations, even if they have some variability with buffs and procs. You get so familiar with those specials effects even they become rotational. The only thing that stands out are o shit moments, which healers do have in spades.

It's understandable you want a more choice filled healing scheme but it would mean a few things. First you have to lower the damage bosses deal to raids ( probably not tanks). Then you would have to decreases even more in 25 mans ( because smart heals can overlap without healer choice, but two healers accidentally healing the same person might result in someone else dieing). Right now you can have a boss hit a random raid member for 90% of their health because some smart heals will hit him and give you healers proper time to respond. It makes the fight feel more thrilling then if he can only hit them for 50% and wait for a healers to notice and decide which spell is optimal, even if the relative threat is the same in both scenarios.

In other words you need to resolve the issue smart heals were designed to fix; healers not able to read each other's minds or practically call out every time who they will heal ( especially on super intensive heroics). There is probably a better way I just don't what it is
    Last edited by Txiv; 2013-11-04 at 06:15 PM. Reason: iPhone plays by its own grammar rules