Pleaes help our shaman

Our guild has an elemental shaman who doesn't seem to be doing as much DPS as our other DPS. If there is anything you can see that can help them it'd be greatly appreciated.

worldoflogs com/guilds/235526/ and worldoflogs com/guilds/240433/

Character name: Alamera
    US-Thaurissan Illumination

A quick glance at his armory shows he is not hit capped currently, though that could change with his trinket as he currently has the cleave trinket equipped.... He may be capped with Purified bindings but if he changes that out he wont be. Also he should have orange gems in his wep and shield. Both are red sockets with +60 int bonus so essentially he is trading 160 mastery for 140 int and at that ratio he is losing dps. I'll let someone else look over his logs.

I see she's running full-mastery. My shaman alt is slightly lower, but around the same ilvl. After running simcraft as many people recommended, the results showed that I should gem/reforge a lot of that mastery into haste (not full-haste either though).

Maybe sim her toon and see what's better for her with her current gear.

+1 to "not hit capped". Hit is pretty much his highest "DPS stat" until capped. If it was like 14.91 or something it would be less of a big deal, but he's almost a full percent under. Definitely needs to cap.

He's stacking Mastery haaaard. He really shouldn't be ignoring Int socket bonuses to put in a 320 Mastery gem. If he doesn't want to reforge for hit cap he could just swap a couple Int/Mastery gems to Expertise/Mastery, or he could just grab those Spirit socket bonuses he's skipping (i'd do the gems though).

If he wants to min/max a bit he should download simcraft. You don't have to be hardcore and it's really easy. One simple thing he could do that doesn't take much time is just get his personal stat weights, allowing him to mathematically pick between gems. I do this now and then to answer the question of "Do I use a pure stat gem or a hybrid gem?" and it's nice to know that my decision is mathematically the best one.

I still think his DPS would be low after making these changes. The most important thing is playstyle and ability. Knowing when to use what while moving, what rotation he's doing, when to use cooldowns, when to use Thunderstorm (esp with low crit).

If this were in my guild and I were an officer, a ranged/caster class leader, w/e... I'd put him as my focus during a raid that wasn't progression (so losing a little DPS due to watching him wouldn't be a big deal on my part) and would watch his cast bar as often as possible. Maybe there's a bit of a gap between his casts, maybe he's not prioritizing the right things when they come up, maybe he's using CL filler/spam at inappropriate times; regardless of what it is, you simple won't know until somebody watches.

Remember, telling him to DPS a training dummy so you can watch will *not* do it. You need to see him DURING an encounter. I know people that can do GREAT dps against a dummy but absolutely fail in raids. In fact, I wouldn't even TELL him you're watching because you really want to see him under absolutely normal circumstances. Good luck, and I hope things improve!

She's got flex version of purified bindings, think she swapped for h spiols progression. She's prob hit capped with that.

All the fights available for your logs are all horrible example dps. In terms of simply using ranking info as a metric, your ele is a steady 76% across these poor ele fights.

You posted logs for:
    Nazgrim- maximized dps is entirely dependent upon how well your total raid dps lines up with phases, in addition to weather or not you cleave adds with the boss or not. Strats which cleave, guaranteed if the adds are stacked, chain lightning will beat an arms warrior.
    Galakaras- Either not using chain lightning to fill, or is on tower duty. From looking at the log, I'd probably say they're not maximizing CL / LB to full effect, in addition to timing magma / earthquake in between waves.

Sha of Pride- WTF. I shouldn't really have to tell you why this is a poor choice. GIFT OF THE TITANS RNG. Lol, if you have full uptime, sure, get ranked, gg.

A better fight to judge damage performance from might be Malkokrok- this would be more telling of dps intensity. Any fight with a lot of potential aoe opportunity also has many inflated numbers.

In general, what might be lacking may just be intensity or mastery of when to cleave / target switching scenarios-- which could take time getting a feel for what's possible and timing. For example on Gal, I'll CL spam while weak adds are up in between Flame Shock cds, which I like to set up on the higher hp adds. As I spam, I'll use LvB procs on those targets, both buffing the CL weave cleave in addition to providing hard hitting focus fire on priority targets. Multiple FS will naturally increase LvB proc 'rate'. For Sha of Pride, gift of the titans aside, being aware of bursting on adds can add significant damage. Your second Ascendance can coincide with adds... so 2-3 lava beams will melt the meters. Again, its a matter of awareness, aptitude, and overall mastery of both the spec and the fight. The more attuned you are to milking any damage as quickly as possible, the easier numbers are going to come.

In terms of what is missing gear-wise...
    As mentioned, re-equip Bindings. If you want to use the cleave trink, swap it out with Totem trink. Never leave home without those bindings.

**Also: http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...issan/Alamera/ Your Ele sham has ranked multiple times in the past. Dunno why you're worried, unless you're just trolling. In which case gtfo.
    Last edited by Elestia; 2013-11-04 at 09:18 AM.

Also, notice she's ~10 ilvl below and not playing a warlock. I'd not expect her to be par with your other casters until she gets similar gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Also, notice she's ~10 ilvl below and not playing a warlock. I'd not expect her to be par with your other casters until she gets similar gear.
    This. Honestly OP, if that what you're boiling all of this down to, you're pathetically mistaken. Ele stacked against other casters in better gear is never going to be equal, even on heavy cleave fights. As long as my Ele ranks now and then, I'm happy. Yours has multiple... I really wouldn't ask them for more.

I have such wonderful caring guildies xD

yeah I have no chance against warlocks, but I still felt my DPS was a lot lower than it should be.

Was doing the latter part of spoils prog so thought I'd try the cleave trinket, not realising I would not be hit capped without bindings xD

I did do some H Malkorok progression which I'll link here http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-95hhbseaauedndt5/

I did sim my character and it said go full mastery, and I've looked at various ele shammy's who've ranked and majority have gone full mastery. So dunno...

With Galakras, I'm not on tower duty, I generally just CL with only putting FS on one or 2 of the longer lasting targets, could prob try time it better and putting earthquake down better.

With the ranks, I have a premium WoL account xD so the ranks are not the standard 1-100 or so, though a rank's a rank so can't complain too much I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok...

so played around with SimC

I changed all my gems to haste, my haste = mastery (4.13 haste vs. 4.15 mastery) and if I go roughly half haste gems and half mastery gems I get (haste 4.40 > 4.01 mastery)

So should I change full haste? or try even it out?
    Last edited by ala08; 2013-11-04 at 10:45 AM.

One thing I'm noticing from your logs for Malkorok is that you're talented into EB, but you cast it 11 times in a 5 minute attempt, even if you're not perfect at using it on CD, lets say 4 per minute instead of 5 you're 9 off of that total, if you're finding you can't stant still to get a cast of EB off switch to using PE, or UF as your talent. UF is a much stronger talent there with as much as you're casting LB on that fight.

Also for spoils heroic, I probably wouldn't use the cleave trinket, as higher single target burst is going to be more beneficial at getting the big adds down, our CL spam is more than enough when opening smalls without the cleave trinket. I would, and am using EB for heroic spoils atm for switching to sparks, it may not be as high single target burst as UF or PE but it's much better for target swaping.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/e41th...?s=6451&e=6779 (our kill this week about 20 seconds longer than your longest wipe)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2544&e=2852 (your long wipe)
    Last edited by Lavalashlol; 2013-11-04 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ala08 View Post
    When simming, under the Options tab, then the Reforge Plots tab, set "Reforge amount" to 3000, "step amount" to 500, and check "Plot reforge options for haste rating" and "Plot reforge options for mastery rating" (just those two)

When you get your results, you'll get a reforge plot: the x-axis value for the maximum on that curve is the optimal amount of haste you should reforge / regem from mastery.

EDIT: That's my shammy's plot:

The curve's maximum is at 0, which means that's the optimal reforging with my shammy with her specific gear (and even her talent choices at the time of the sim if you wanna get specific). If the maximum were shifted to the right, that'd mean you would need to reforge mastery into haste by the amount specified in the x axis in order to achieve optimal dps.

You should run this sim every now and then when you get new gear.
    Last edited by Dierdre; 2013-11-04 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ala08 View Post
    I changed all my gems to haste, my haste = mastery (4.13 haste vs. 4.15 mastery) and if I go roughly half haste gems and half mastery gems I get (haste 4.40 > 4.01 mastery)

It's not the stat weights that matter after you make those changes, but the DPS you do. The stat weights only determine how much benefit you would gain from ADDITIONAL amounts of that stat assuming the rest of the values remain the same. Your reforge plot (as Dierdre suggested) is the only thing you should ever use to decide if gem swapping is worthwhile.