Poll: What do you think?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

pay-to-play & "Game time" is a rip off.

I think your game-time for WoW should NOT tick down, unless you are logged in.

If you pay for a month of time, you really only get half, maybe two-thirds of actual play time.

Seeing as how NO ONE can be playing literally 24/7. You may sleep a lil less, eat a little faster, speed home from work or school, what have you. But you still NEVER get the FULL 30 days of play-time. We pay for time, and that time ticks down even when not logged on. Which I think is just a pure bullshit scam.

We have to eat/sleep/work/school sometime. Usually a person sleeps what? 6, maybe 7 hours a night? 7 maybe 6 times a week, with 4 weeks in a month.. You do the math, cause I'm bad at it.. But even then you don't have to be a mathematician to know that's a lot of time you're not able to play.
    which is just being wasted, yet you're still paying for it.

I don't think this practice is very fair to us. Fair to them, of course, it's more money they get.

Again, game-time should NOT tick away, if your account is not logged on.

Anyone else agree?
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

That's how they're operating in the Asian regions.

Of course the fact that we can't play 24/7 is taken into account into the pricing, if you played 24/7 you would be paying less than 2 cents per hour! :P
    I think your point is a little bit crazy to be honest, if you play wow more than a few hours a week it ends up costing no more than a few dimes per hour, that's cheap as far as hobbies go.
    Really, I do urge you to do the math just so you see how silly this thread is.

Deleted
    doesn't really matter though does it.

While i obviously would love this as i would save money, loads of other things work this way. If you pay for certain tv channels you pay monthly for that as well, even though you might only be watching it 1 hour a week. Same goes for internet at least where i live, pay monthly and even if i turn off the router for a month i will be paying the same.

So how is this fair if wow game time is not? it's just the way things work, if it worked like you wanted you would end up paying twice if not 3 or 4 times as much, and in the end it's the same, it's just easier this way
    Last edited by mmoc8d3f4cebcb; 2013-11-02 at 06:31 AM.

It's 14 dollars a month...this is nothing. There are roughly 720 hours in a month, do you really think they would only still charge 14 dollars for 720 hours ingame play time? Did you put any thought into this before you posted it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post

If you pay for a month of time, you really only get half, maybe two-thirds of actual play time.

Seeing as how NO ONE can be playing literally 24/7. You may sleep a lil less, eat a little faster, speed home from work or school, what have you. But you still NEVER get the FULL 30 days of play-time. We pay for time, and that time ticks down even when not logged on. Which I think is just a pure bullshit scam.

We have to eat/sleep/work/school sometime. Usually a person sleeps what? 6, maybe 7 hours a night? 7 maybe 6 times a week, with 4 weeks in a month.. You do the math, cause I'm bad at it.. But even then you don't have to be a mathematician to know that's a lot of time you're not able to play.

I don't think this practice is very fair to us. Fair to them, of course, it's more money they get.

Anyone else agree?
    People pay the price of a month of WoW Game Time to go watch a two hour (or less) movie.
    You've no need to complain about your price.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    That's how they're operating in the Asian regions.

Of course the fact that we can't play 24/7 is taken into account into the pricing, if you played 24/7 you would be paying less than 2 cents per hour! :P
    I think your point is a little bit crazy to be honest, if you play wow more than a few hours a week it ends up costing no more than a few dimes per hour, that's cheap as far as hobbies go.
    Really, I do urge you to do the math just so you see how silly this thread is.
    My point is a little crazy? It isn't about the cost. It's about the money being wasted because it's not in use 24/7..

And how do you know the fact we can't play 24/7 is taken into account when pricing? I don't really think you would be privy to that information and I think you're just *hoping* it is.

So.. 5 minutes in to a new thread, and already so many of you disregard what I say and insert your own points and use that to insult me.. WONDERFUL!

Obviously you people don't understand, so I'll give you the main point again... Your game time should not tick away when your account is not in use.

I'm sorry if you people think I'm a witch and should be burned alive for saying that. But there it is.
    Last edited by Violent; 2013-11-02 at 06:35 AM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

You do realise that if they changed to your method then they would adjust the price to make the same profit which means you would end paying more per time played...

WoW is $15 a month
    Spotify is $15 a month
    Movie with popcorn and drink for 2 people - $30

$15 for a possible approximate 750 hours of entertainment isn't that bad, stop complaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tweekzlol View Post
    doesn't really matter though does it.

While i obviously would love this as i would save money, loads of other things work this way. If you pay for certain tv channels you pay monthly for that as well, even though you might only be watching it 1 hour a week. Same goes for internet at least where i live, pay monthly and even if i turn off the router for a month i will be paying the same.

So how is this fair if wow game time is not? it's just the way things work, if it worked like you wanted you would end up paying twice if not 3 or 4 times as much, and in the end it's the same, it's just easier this way
    "It's just the way things work."

You know many slaves said that same thing.. We don't have slaves anymore, do we? Shit can change, but not with an attitude like that.

I could see one movie, alone, with popcorn and a drink, ONCE, or I can play a computer game as many hours as I can set aside over 30 days.

I could go out and have two drinks.

I could go out for lunch.

WoW's sub price is pretty damn awesome. Price hasn't increased with the pace of inflation over the last decade, has it? Even older subscription based games were hovering around $15 15 years ago, I think.

If you can't afford it, play what you can afford and don't begrudge others what they can do.

Not a rip off. At least, not from the perspective of someone who's seen the other options out there and experienced what those options net me.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    You do realise that if they changed to your method then they would adjust the price to make the same profit which means you would end paying more per time played...
    Prove that to me.

WHO SAYS I CAN'T AFFORD IT!? Seriously? When did I say the price was too high? When did I say that I could not swing the $15 a month? Never? Oh..

THEN STOP WITH THE "Oh it's only $15 a month, if you can't afford that, blah blah blah" SHIT.

When you say anything like that it's obvious you're missing the point entirely and should be working on your reading comprehension skills, rather than playing a video game. Go spend your $15 on a tutor.
    Last edited by Violent; 2013-11-02 at 06:41 AM.

Prove that to me.
    Prove that you would save money your way.

Also look at prepaid phones, prepaid internet, anything prepaid. The per minute of prepaid services is MUCH more than subscription with a base fee.

You should call your cable company and pitch this.

10+ Year Old Account
    $15 is one bottle of wine I then piss out.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

You're paying $14 a month for Blizzard to store your characters forever. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    You should call your cable company and pitch this.
    Wow. You just hit a perfect analogy. I wish I could give you cookies.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

Prove that to me.
    ... Go spend your $15 on a tutor.
    Because that's exactly how they're doing it in Asia. Is that enough proof?

And yeah, first you're saying that you're too bad at maths to divide 2 numbers and now you're telling people to get tutoring. Stop being so militant about this non-issue as if Blizzard is running the world's most intricate scam here and we're all falling for it.

If this is gonna be a pet peeve for you, you're gonna be really pissed when you live on your own and start paying monthly fees for water, electricy, gas, TV, internet, phone, rent, insurance and many many more things. You're paying for 24/7 access to a service, use it or not nobody will bat an eye.
    Last edited by Lackluster; 2013-11-02 at 06:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    Prove that you would save money your way.

Also look at prepaid phones, prepaid internet, anything prepaid. The per minute of prepaid services is MUCH more than subscription with a base fee.
    I never said anything about saving money. So I don't have to prove shit. WoW is not a pre-paid phone, internet or anything else.,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    Because that's exactly how they're doing it in Asia. Is that enough proof?
    Seeing as how they have a different economy over there.. No, it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    You're paying $14 a month for Blizzard to store your characters forever. Period.
    Actually they're not even yours and never were to begin with. Period.

So by what you say.. We pay them to store their OWN stuff.

Still see nothing wrong here?

10+ Year Old Account

Anyone else agree?
    No. I've played since 2007 and probably have about 75 days of playing time logged across my whole account...I know, i'm casual. So that means I would have only payed Blizz $37.50 since 2007...and then WoW would suck and die because they have no revenue.

So just...no. Doesn't make any sense at all. Dream on though.

I never said anything about saving money. So I don't have to prove shit. WoW is not a pre-paid phone, internet or anything else.,

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as how they have a different economy over there.. No, it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually they're not even yours and never were to begin with. Period.

So by what you say.. We pay them to store their OWN stuff.

Still see nothing wrong here?
    You said prove it, so I did by comparing with other similar services. Maybe you need a tutor.