Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Why are you in these forums if you're not a fan?

OT:

Many people grew tired of playing mmorpgs and that's why they think it's a bad game, but these are the same people who get easily bored of SWTOR, RIFT, GW2, etc etc etc as well, so it's not a specific game but rather the genre they're not interested in anymore.

I personally think wow is better now then it was in Vanilla as far as content goes, but the nostalgic feel of a new game, which many people still want, is gone.
    Anything is boring if you do it 16 hours a day for 10 years, reduce your game time and you'll quickly realize that you add a lot more years to the game.
    Stop playing if you don't like it, I don't play SWTOR because I really hated the fact that either did you fight a massive dude with loads of health or 3 smaller once, no choice, and you're forced to have a companion. I don't go on SWTOR forums and tell them I don't like the game.
    I think whats missing in these games today is the feeling of being in a "living, breathing" world, rather than the "theme park" vibe they have today. To have the feeling your fighting something that needs to be fought, to save whatever world, etc... And you want to do it because you care about the world, not just "this is the new ride this month". They lack a sense of immersion and purpose and I feel it's just laziness on the developers part and them following a formula that has worked. THe problem is the formula has gotten really stale and it needs to be reimagined.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    This thread delivers.

'Round these parts, if you make a thread saying that the game is awful because it's not challenging enough, you get a flurry of responses telling you to quit if you don't like it.

If you make a thread saying that the game is awful because casuals aren't getting enough attention, you get heads nodding in agreement, and well something needs to be done before more folks leave, Blizz.
    Doesn't that tell you something about what the majority of the player base wants? I think there's a legitimate complaint about the difficulty gap between heroic 5 mans and challenge modes but otherwise the game is reasonable challenging. PVP, brawlers guild and proving grounds are really about where they need to be. Even the Celestial Tournament requires a robust pet team and a solid strategy to take out the trainers.

No my friend. WoW is not the problem.

A smoker enjoys the first 1 or 2 years tenfold compared to the following to come. If that person becomes a chain smoker, he or she may or may not complain about the quality of cigarettes going bad over the years and/or that its all a stupid habit as it starts taking its toll, but the guaranteed result is that if the smoking is that which leads them to their death bed, they _will_ admit that it was just a stupid habit.

"The game in it's current state doesn't have me coming back for more than a couple of months maximum"

Does this mean you have already quit? If so I call your bluff.

You are the problem.

My advice? Stop WoW for 6 months, get your life in order, then come back with fresh lungs (fresh mind) and enjoy this magical game.

Deleted
    ...the best and most successful MMO there is!

Did I win?

I agree with you partly on the progression part, but that really only goes for alts. My main is having a blast with raiding in pandaria.

The thing i mostly agree on though is the lack of challenging hc's. I really liked what they did in wrath and cata with the newer hc's to get some catchup gear and lore with per patch.

I think the game is better than ever. You're not expected to play for six hours per day to keep up anymore. You can just run a couple of dungeons and spend two or three nights raiding, without feeling like you're missing out on half the content because you didn't spend 18 hours grinding that reputation for that enchant.

Also, in case you've forgotten it, vanilla was a buggy unbalanced mess. No point in bringing more than one of some classes to raids, some specs and races were ludicrously overpowered in PvP, and most specs utterly useless in the endgame, but that's fine because you're stuck looting and can't do anything anyway. Oh, and you can't get to the raid instance anyway because the flightpath doesn't launch and you get a super fast ground mount that you can't dismount from instead, until you touch something and the game crashes. At least that saves you the trouble of spending fifteen minutes flying from Undercity to Badlands, unable go AFK as you had to click again for each stretch since the flight masters weren't connected yet.
    Last edited by Alltat; 2013-11-04 at 01:48 PM.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Cancelled my wow account a few weeks ago. After 8 years. Enough is enough. OP has excellent points.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with OP on everything. The game just gets worse and worse the more blizz caters to casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Ironically Vanilla and TBC had a tiny fraction of the amount of endgame content we have in MoP. Did you ever consider that you've played this game a long time and have just gotten bored? Grinding new alts to max level over and over might've satisfied you years ago when the game was new but obviously it's boring now.
    Its boring after this amount of time of the same thing.
    The game can't provide new experiences for the long-term playerbase without hurting everyone else.
    The game format is as it needs to be, whether people like it or not.

It was new back in vanilla, it was exciting when there wasn't a lot of the same.
    Now there is a lot more of the same, a fundamental problem with how the raid content is implemented and cannot be avoided.

The end-game experience has to be based at entry level on the new players, those reaching that and the level cap for the first time.
    Therefore for you it will be boring, more of the same.
    If someone doesn't like that, they should go play another game which will eventually reach the same state, and then move on again.

You can't make it new and exciting without supporting only a small portion of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    I agree with OP on everything. The game just gets worse and worse the more blizz caters to casuals.
    Tired argument.
    The heroic raiding is still there, and still being cleared by a small portion of the "hardcore" audience.
    The game is providing plenty of content still for you, but you choose to be upset that there is content for someone who is not you.
    Get over it.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-11-04 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    @OP
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well then..like..play another game?

It is not like WoW is an endagered species that everybody loves, like the Panda and goes out of their way to protect it. It you find the game so horrible..play sth else. There certainly must be some MMO out there who presses all your buttons.

I add this, because as you so nicely put it yourself, it is the 902387^thread on the topic:

This is where it really gets old. If you are a human..you are "dying" by default. And so is game that comes out ... "dying". Your new ipad and iphone is "dying" soon to be replaced by the next generation. I think that is why we have a GTA 5 and a Fifa 14 and a Final Fantasy..whatever...because all their predecessors died.

Yeah, yeah..yeah..this game is almost 10 years old. This is why it is dying. Flog a dead horse, tell us how it is dying. Show me another 10 year old game that didn't decline. Show me agame that from day 1 on...never lost subs or players, but increased and increased and increased...In fact..show me another MMO that has been going so strong over 10 years.

Tell us how it is dying and yet still has more subs than games that are 2years old and set out to definitely kill WoW. Yawn

How about you go to Rift, SW and LotRo..or Aion and try to help them survive. They sure as hell need your help more it seems
    I will not play another game because WoW unfortunatelly is best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
    No my friend. WoW is not the problem.

A smoker enjoys the first 1 or 2 years tenfold compared to the following to come. If that person becomes a chain smoker, he or she may or may not complain about the quality of cigarettes going bad over the years and/or that its all a stupid habit as it starts taking its toll, but the guaranteed result is that if the smoking is that which leads them to their death bed, they _will_ admit that it was just a stupid habit.

"The game in it's current state doesn't have me coming back for more than a couple of months maximum"

Does this mean you have already quit? If so I call your bluff.

You are the problem.

My advice? Stop WoW for 6 months, get your life in order, then come back with fresh lungs (fresh mind) and enjoy this magical game.
    I haven't played for much longer, and Mists of Pandaria isn't a magical expansion really. I think we/I'm not the main problem.
    Last edited by mmoc344a574dc7; 2013-11-04 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    And I remember from some conference call earlier this year, the casuals weren't even interested that much in those changes. Casuals don't want stuff to be served on silver plates, only bads want this.

Well, I would have agreed with you OP on 100% 5-6 years ago. Now though, I don't. Why? The game you describe is very good, it has a sense of discovery, strong community, strong content and strong progression path. The drawback is that you HAVE to log in everyday for hours to do your stuff, to be current and successful. Actually I love those games as they really deliver that sense of personal achievement, but I don't have time for a game like that anymore. If WoW was such a game atm, I would not play it and I would have been fine with it, but Blizzard ultimately found out that if they lessen the need for the player to log in everyday for hours, they would eventually gain a lot more subscribers, even if those new subs are not as loyal and continuous as the hardcores.

So, having said that I think WoW in its current state is a very, very good and addicting game still, you have hardcore content, but we also have a lot of content for casual players. There is a clear transition between becoming hardcore and becoming casual as well, while in TBC for example you couldn't just decide you'll be hardcore, you had to had done a LOT of content to even stand a chance to become one and if you were a casual the only content you had were dungeons and pvp, which was not very nice.

So I'm absolutely honest - WoW is a better game now overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I thought my problem with leveling was that it took too damn long. Silly me. I also thought the biggest reason I quit on and off in Cata was because they pulled 5-mans out from under my feet to cater to a bunch of people whining about how people aren't wiping in small group content (the horror). My bad. Thanks for telling me how things really are, OP.

That being said, they gambled on posts like yours in Cataclysm and it blew up in their faces. Even today Blizz devs admit that it was a mistake and that any hard content will be optional for those who want it to go tackle it, not forced on the community at large.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I think it's fine and the game has always been easy.

Deleted
    I don't know, I think the game feels a lot better than it did during both WotLK and Cataclysm. The game is still too quick and dirty, but it feels a lot less... Confused? Like the devs actually has a plan and general idea of what they want to do, rather than the little bit of everything mess we had in the past two expansions.

We still have a long way to go to reclaim the glory of old, but I'd say that MoP is a solid step in the right direction. I feel positive about blizzcon, and excited that Rob Pardo is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    And here I thought my problem with leveling was that it took too damn long. Silly me.
    It's far faster than it should be, even without all the various perks that get handed to players. So yes, silly you.

Quote Originally Posted by newlineGet View Post
    I am not currently playing wow, and haven't been so since pretty much the start of pandaria. You could say that I "moved on", but I still keep trying at the start of every expansion, oh well.

I am not trying to imply that the game is for everyone, or will fit everyones needs. It just seems that people are more dissatisfied with the game than ever before [...]
    Obviously you figured out that WoW is simply not a game that holds your interest any longer. Move along. It's not your responsibility to speak for those who aren't pleased with the game. Blizzard has a very clear direction for the game, and probably aren't going to change that now. You'd be better off accepting the game for what it is, and either play it or ignore it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's far faster than it should be, even without all the various perks that get handed to players. So yes, silly you.
    The point I was trying to make is that how long leveling takes is subjective. I find it to be a tedious exercise in boredom, and frankly after my fourth 90 and my sixth 85 (including the 90s), if I'm leveling someone I'm not going to be drawn in by the sweeping, powerful, immersive leveling experience if it takes six months to hit level cap like it used to. I'm going to say 'fuck it,' and if the reason I rolled that character is because I no longer enjoy my main, that 'fuck it' turns into 'meh, may as well go play more Mass Effect.'

And hey, that's fifteen a month in my pocket, which is good for my cinema habits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    my fourth 90 and my sixth 85 (including the 90s)
    I think this is a bigger problem. Having several max level characters is no longer an achievement or rare, it's expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawati View Post
    I think this is a bigger problem. Having several max level characters is no longer an achievement or rare, it's expected.
    Even when it was rare, leveling bored me. "Oh, fun. Another quest to kill twenty boars that will turn out to be more like fifty because it also needs boar spleens, which apparently eighty percent of Azeroth's boar population lack." "What's that? You want me to go kill a guy the town guards could one-shot? Sure, whatever." "Let me guess, Timmy fell down the well again."