Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    Deleted

international group of activists lures over 1000 paedophiles into a trap

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1506415

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9A30QQ20131104

http://gizmodo.com/anti-abuse-crusad...idd-1458061734

now, the news that more than 1000 paedophiles have been caught with their pants down (often literally) is big in itself (one of the biggest catches in recent history), but the way they did it was rather special. They made a digital 10 year old Philippine girl to trick the paedos into thinking they were chatting with an actual girl. pretty clever, I think, although I don't know if it would hold up in court.

10+ Year Old Account
    no way could that be mistaken for a real person...
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

I'd say good job! I hope they spend a VERY long time in prison!

I'd like to know just how many people they have approached. Otherwise this number is kinda meaningless. 1000 people across the whole world isn't really big news.

But the technique is crazy. A digital version of a 10 years old, good enough to fool people online. Not bad.jpg

On the other hand, it would not have fooled me for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Catching even one of them is a success in my book. Bravo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Deleted
    Impressive, i doubt convictions will even take place on a tenth of these however.

The methodology and tactics is very innovative though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Catching even one of them is a success in my book. Bravo.
    Well, strictly speaking... they didn't catch anyone so far. I couldn't read out of the newspapers that they actually prosecuted anyone. They passed the info to Interpol, but honestly I don't think they have much.

1) It's a freaking digital person. No child was harmed. Simply being a pedo is not against the law IIRC.
    2) They don't mention that their digital version actually ever went full naked. If the article's screenshot is the worst case they had, they've got a guy who was willing to pay for a cam show which he never got. "Cam show" was also never really defined.

All they have is attempted seduction of a minor, if that's even a thing.

Deleted
    I think the biggest issue is that this would fall under entrapment in a number of legal regions. I know that there is at least 1 legal system where police cannot try to solicit sex from a hooker as a customer with the intent of uncovering her illegal activities. however, an undercover cop is allowed to lie about their identity in order to not blow their cover, and can even commit some minor crimes if i'm not mistaken.

Deleted
    Good job. Lock them up for life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    Good job. Lock them up for life.
    Nope.

I disagree with that entirely, rehabilitation is the best path.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th power of twin pride View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that this would fall under entrapment in a number of legal regions. I know that there is at least 1 legal system where police cannot try to solicit sex from a hooker as a customer with the intent of uncovering her illegal activities. however, an undercover cop is allowed to lie about their identity in order to not blow their cover, and can even commit some minor crimes if i'm not mistaken.

Most chats seem to have a webcamless conversation first. The "predator" is being lured without actual pictures or webcams. After his "intentions" are clear, they start the webcam showing only a very limited amount of facial movements etc. I guess they wait for the other guy to start giving instructions, at which point they terminate the conversation due to the technological limits, collect his data and report it to Interpol.

Nobody can seriously believe that this girl is real and not CGI.

My issues I have with this approach: It's not fundamentally different from what is being done right now. Right now we have 20 years old female officers who look like children do the work. However, this has many legal issues and most of the people caught like this go unconvinced of any crime. I don't see how a now DIGITAL version of a child is supposed to make this better.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Nope.

you're not gonna rehabilitate a paedophile

Instead of trying to jail the "consumers", we should try to get rid of the supply, i.e. unsupervised children in front of computers.

Inb4 child slave rings are putting children in front of webcams. Those animals are a completely different league of freaks who won't be caught like this anyway.

Deleted
    Nope.

So you want to give them another chance to harm a child? You know atleast some of those 1000 are going to destroy a child's life.

Better just to lock them up so they don't get that opportunity.

I have absolutely no sympathy for pedophiles and rapists, to me it's just as bad as murderers who also deserve to be locked up for life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    A sexual orientation cannot be changed, but the circumstances leading up to the committal of the crime can be prevented.

In short, a pedophile CAN be rehabilitated to not re-offend.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    A pedophile isn't dangerous. Somebody who rapes children is. Those two things are not innately connected.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in persons 16 years of age or older typically characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest toward prepubescent children (generally age 11 years or younger, though specific diagnostic criteria for the disorder extends the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13).[1][2][3][4] An adolescent who is 16 years of age or older must be at least five years older than the prepubescent child before the attraction can be diagnosed as pedophilia

Nowhere does it state that pedophiles are rapists. People can control their urges.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-11-04 at 11:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    So you want to give them another chance to harm a child? You know atleast some of those 1000 are going to destroy a child's life.

Better just to lock them up so they don't get that opportunity. I have absolutely no sympathy for pedophiles and rapist, to me it's just as bad as murderers who also deserve to be locked up for life.
    So you want to give them another chance to harm a child?
    If they're deemed a risk, they shouldn't be released.

Simple as that, if they're deemed as rehabilitated then i'd be happy for them to be released.

You know atleast some of those 1000 are going to destroy a child's life.
    No i don't, neither do you.

Better just to lock them up so they don't get that opportunity.
    Hah, no thanks.

Better lock up all heterosexuals so they don't rape people.

I have absolutely no sympathy for pedophiles and rapist, to me it's just as bad as murderers who also deserve to be locked up for life.
    And that's your outlook, thankfully people are beyond your backwards logic.

Deleted
    If they're deemed a risk, they shouldn't be released.

Simple as that, if they're deemed as rehabilitated then i'd be happy for them to be released.

No i don't, neither do you.

Hah, no thanks.

Better lock up all heterosexuals so they don't rape people.

And that's your outlook, thankfully people are beyond your backwards logic.
    Laughable attempt at insulting me. It didn't work!

Go look up some statistics on pedophiles who commits a rape after rehabiliating before talking nonsense Mr. Backwards Logic.

Deleted
    A sexual orientation cannot be changed, but the circumstances leading up to the committal of the crime can be prevented.

In short, a pedophile CAN be rehabilitated to not re-offend.
    You make it sound as though they were totally unaware of it being illegal prior to them being 'rehabilitated'.

No one lives under a rock that big.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    You make it sound as though they were totally unaware of it being illegal prior to them being 'rehabilitated'.

No one lives under a rock that big.
    You're joking right? A pedophile will not be arrested due to his or her orientation, if he or she acted upon it - then yes, he or she deserves to be arrested and charged.

But i'm not referring to this case specifically, i was addressing the person who made a blanket statement.