[Boss execute phase] Dots vs Dps

Should everybody refresh and maintain dots on less than 5% of boss hp while preparing to die?
    Because potentially direct dps is going to burn boss faster.

depends on how many 0.01% wipes you had in your history...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    depends on how many 0.01% wipes you had in your history...
    Oh the pain of seeing a boss with less health than my character's base health...in WotLK (think 20-30k).

Depends. Does the boss have a hard enrage? By hard enrage I mean Malkorok where when the cast finishes everyone just dies no matter what. If it's like that, people should maximize their dps in the time frame given, and know what that means. For a warlock that might indeed mean not refreshing dots at 5 seconds - or maybe his procs are up and he should for a good DS? Stuff like that should be researched.

If it's a boss like Paragons or a boss where the berserk can be bubbled etc, yea they should refresh DoT's providing it's gonna do more damage in the next 10-20 seconds than 1 direct spell.

Deleted
    Depends on the dot, but at 5% you'd typically refresh almost everything. Some dots are more efficient than single target spells with just a few ticks. Some require nearly the entire duration to do more than a single target spell.

Quote Originally Posted by mmokri View Post
    Should everybody refresh and maintain dots on less than 5% of boss hp while preparing to die?
    Because potentially direct dps is going to burn boss faster.
    If a boss is going to be alive for more than 10 seconds keep your normal rotation, using dots as you used the rest of the time

Deleted
    Depends on the dot. 5% is quite a lot, so you should probably always keep it up there. Mages or frost DK's probably have to chose, but no other spec/class that I can remember.

It all comes down to the situation but I wouldnt start bursting at 5% completely neglecting dots. And if its critical whether u need to kite or if u are going to soak u should refresh dots 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Depends. Does the boss have a hard enrage?
    This is very important, and perhaps key. If it is a hard enrage where everyone dies at the end of the timer, regardless of immunities, then they should do whatever does the most damage in the window of time they are alive. If it is an enrage where the boss simple starts one shotting players with melee, then they should definitely refresh dots and start to kite the boss/use immunities/run away.

its not about 5% its about the time left on the boss, its about how valuable each GC is, if your direct dmg does around 100k damage per GC and your dot does 20k per GC you should use the dot if you have more then 5 GC left. Its as easy as that. For some classes dots are better then others, same goes for the direct dmg. In the end its a judgement call but i reckon for classes with weak dots the breakpoint is around 10gcs
    Last edited by dennix; 2013-11-05 at 08:05 PM.

The general rule of thumb for MOST (not all) dot classes is if the dot has enough time to run almost it full duration before the boss dies it is worth refreshing. There are also a lot of dot classes that get procs off of their dots which also makes it worth keeping them up.

I think all too often sub 10% people think "OMG SO CLOSE, refresh dots, do this.. dot tha..oh shit I died"

I think there would be far less Sub 5% wipes if people just did what they did from 100%-5% and don't freak the fuck out.