Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'd prefer if it was $30, but I think it's worth it. I'm a fan of all three IPs, so I'm going to be getting my money's worth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Blizzard have so far never made any money out of holding these events since they started doing these events back in 2007. They have never broken even once.
    This right here. BlizzCon is crazy expensive to hold, even with the $200 entry per person. I'm sure the swag they give away alone is worth nearly that much. The stream itself costs money to do too. This isn't some cheap internet stream run by a handful of people, it's DirectTV's professional crew doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    I'd prefer if it was $30, but I think it's worth it. I'm a fan of all three IPs, so I'm going to be getting my money's worth.

- - - Updated - - -

This right here. BlizzCon is crazy expensive to hold, even with the $200 entry per person. I'm sure the swag they give away alone is worth nearly that much.
    The digital swag? The swag that they made and probably cost them almost nothing to create?

wut
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post

- - - Updated - - -

This right here. BlizzCon is crazy expensive to hold, even with the $200 entry per person. I'm sure the swag they give away alone is worth nearly that much.
    Oh god. Another one that doesn't understand business economics. Shhh little one. Grown ups talking.

Deleted
    Its essentially just paying for the digital rewards. The stream is worth 0$ because anything worthwhile will land on youtube and dozens of fansites. Last time they even streamed live from blizzcon... Since i dont care about some digital pets i wouldnt even pay 5$ for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Christ if $40 is cheap for a stream how much does it cost for a ticket to the actual event? $40 is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination for a stream of what is a massive game advert. It's funny how nobody paid any money for the stream of the PS4 or Xbone announcements, or coverage from other gaming events.

Blizzard is bending you over and bumraping you and you're taking it willingly.
    For the past 6 years that they have held BlizzCon not once have I spent a single dime on getting the information I wanted. I could have done it this year as well, but since I was interested in the goodies and wanted to see everything before everyone else, I bought a ticket yesterday. I've had dinners and films that have been more expensive than this.

Deleted
    Wait, you have to pay to watch the part where they announce the new expansion?

Deleted
    For the past 6 years that they have held BlizzCon not once have I spent a single dime on getting the information I wanted. I could have done it this year as well, but since I was interested in the goodies and wanted to see everything before everyone else, I bought a ticket yesterday. I've had dinners and films that have been more expensive than this.
    And now you have to justify that you got ripped off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucious View Post
    Oh wow. Here's a poor soul that just believes what anyone tells him. I'm sorry for you.
    I don't believe them because of that they told me so. I believe them because I know that it's basically impossible for them to break even unless they sell tons of virtual tickets. Having Tenacious D playing at their convention last year along with other forms of entertainment (they have had things like an open bar, a performing orchestra, tons of equipment to set up the stages, tons of personnel, etc.,) are not cheap.

Last thing I'm going to say to you is learn2budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    The digital swag? The swag that they made and probably cost them almost nothing to create?

wut
    I meant the actual swag you receive for going to the convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    It DOESNT COST THEM MONEY.. god damn, someone types this every 2 minutes on this forum.

Do you know how marketing works?

When you spend money to make money, does it COST you money?

Does a $5,000 commercial that profits me $20,000 in sales COST me $5k?

Please get out of here with this BS, take a marketing class.

Whether you can understand this or not: Regardless of the price of virtual ticket/Blizzcon ticket, they PROFIT heavily from BLizzcon, even if it is FREE. There is a reason every major company in the WORLD holds these events, you know that, right?
    Your logic is really flawed. We'll use your example. They spend $5k to make a commercial and gain $20k in sales. Their net profit is $15k, so yes it still costs them the initial $5k they needed in hopes that they could make a return on the investment.

No matter how you try to spin it they will always make less than they get in the end because of their initial investment. Only way to make that up is by charging people for the initial investment so anything other than ticket sales is profit and that's what the company is after.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ey-on-BlizzCon

That article explains it really well. Just because they gain eventual profit doesn't mean they make a profit overall. They just hope the end profit is better than their initial investment. So they charge for the streams (one to offset costs for that) and to make back a little bit of money. In return they give you ingame items that only other way of getting is to actually go.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2013-11-05 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucious View Post
    Oh god. Another one that doesn't understand business economics. Shhh little one. Grown ups talking.
    They've admitted to never being able to break even with BlizzCon yet, so saying I don't understand business economics has nothing to do with it. You're just saying Blizzard is lying about their non-existent profits.

I don't believe them because of that they told me so. I believe them because I know that it's basically impossible for them to break even unless they sell tons of virtual tickets. Having Tenacious D playing at their convention last year along with other forms of entertainment (they have had things like an open bar, a performing orchestra, tons of equipment to set up the stages, tons of personnel, etc.,) are not cheap.

Last thing I'm going to say to you is learn2budget.
    LOL @ Tenacious D. Cuz they're relevant and cost big $$ to book. Please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Thats too simple. Those events are essentially huge marketing campaigns. They cash in over increased product sales do the massive marketing they get from blizzcon.
    That is not how you check if an event is earning you money or not. If a band had a concert and they lost money on it when too little people came to see them, would you then make the argument that the sales of their records will make them break even? No, because that's just freaking stupid.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-11-05 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Your logic is really flawed. We'll use your example. They spend $5k to make a commercial and gain $20k in sales. Their net profit is $15k, so yes it still costs them the initial $5k they needed in hopes that they could make a return on the investment.

No matter how you try to spin it they will always make less than they get in the end because of their initial investment. Only way to make that up is by charging people for the initial investment so anything other than ticket sales is profit and that's what the company is after.
    Not to mention this. Well said, Lucetia.

Deleted
    Its risky to charge too much for commercials but if only brand loyal sheeps pay for it anyway their is no risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    They are a Company if it wouldn't make Money they wouldn't do it best Red Flag that they are lying to you.
    Believe what you want. I don't see how that is going to change anything of what I said.

Ripped Off? Spending expendable cash on things you want is being ripped off?

How the hell do you people get by in life? Spending money on things you want is what you should be doing... If you can't justify spending the cash then don't but dont vilify others for spending it...

I bought a new router from Best Buy for $79.99, the same router that is on sale on Newegg for $59.99... Did I get ripped off or did I just want the convenience of walking into a store, buying what I needed/wanted and washing my hands of the whole thing?

I bought a McDonald's Happy Meal for my nephew because he wanted the toy... Did I get ripped off there too? Or, did I make my nephew happy by buying him something that he could have "right now"...

Get over yourself man, if you don't want to spend $40 to watch something you want or to get the one-time only goodies that come with it, well then don't. $40 once a year or every two years to watch an event that you obviously have interest in is nothing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Justify? Hahahahahahaha! You sure are a funny guy, I give you that. =')

15+ Year Old Account
    You can get the stream and the expansions for free, so I don't know what everyone is crying about.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Existenz99 View Post
    Ripped Off? Spending expendable cash on things you want is being ripped off?
    The issue is the value for what you pay for, not the fact that it is expendable. If you can get the same info for free on mmo champ afterwards, why bother? it is a rip when you could spend that money buying cheeseburgers or pepsi
    Hi