Poll: How much does the lore matter to you?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Poll: Does the lore really matter to you, and how much?

Does the lore really matter to you, and how much?

Would lore influence what race you play?
    What sub-race you would pick (if they become available)
    what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in
    Whether you keep playing wow

EDIT add;
    Would it tempt you enough to role play (if you didn't already)?
    poll is from 1 to 5,

1 = Lore? whatever. lore means nothing to you
    2 = I enjoy lore, but it's more icing, I would eat the cake without it
    3= love the lore, it influences a fair number of things. Playable without, but a lot less enjoyable
    4= lore is important, I enjoy it, influences most things, would not be that interested without it
    5 = lore is very important, feel very strongly about it and it certainly matters. It's a main if not THE main attraction of warcarft.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2013-11-06 at 10:39 PM.

All of them "yes" or "probably" except for the last one. Lore gives the game flavour (and it lost a lot of that imo, eg. removal of Priest racials).

Deleted
    A game with no lore is a game with no soul.. I love wow's lore..

The Warcraft lore is part of WoW's success.

Current lore? Nah

Old lore? Hell yeah

Lore doesn't influence my character selection at all or how I play the game, I make my character based on transmog capability and how generally cool they will look. But that doesn't mean the lore doesn't matter to me, sadly, I know more about WoW than I probably do the real world, simply because I pay attention to what happens throughout WC1-3 and in WoW. What gives me... attachment to the game so to speak is the lore, I quit for a while and couldn't refuse to pay attention to how the story was going along while I was gone and it eventually led to me coming back in the end. So yes, lore does mean a lot to me, but not in the ways you specified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarry View Post
    A game with no lore is a game with no soul.. I love wow's lore..
    That's heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    It matters to me, but I don't go batshit crazy and complain on the forums if it doesn't turn out as I wished :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in
    1. No. I picked draenei first because I liked how they looked.
    2. Sub-race? Depends on what sub-races and what classes they could be.
    3. I picked paladin because I played a paladin (hammerdin) in Diablo II and I wanted to see how a paladin in WoW would play.
    4. I picked alliance because my friend played alliance.
    5. No, I didn't really start caring about lore until after I hit 90, and started to pay attention to what was going on around me.

If there was no lore, I wouldn't play. There's no reason to play games that have no story. If there's no story, no characters, there's nothing to get attached to. There's no real connection between yourself and the game. It's like watching your favorite character on a television show die, you've watched them on that show for so long, that you've developed a bond (as weird as that sounds) with the character and their story.

Deleted
    Lore is a very important thing for me.
    I chose my race because of it, and it also was a major factor when I decided what class to play.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If lore didn't matter I would go play Rift or some crap.

WoW's lore is some of the best in the fantasy genre. Even if they have picked and chosen bits from other writers, who cares, it all comes together nicely.

Tolkien just took ancient European myths and added his own twists, packaged them together, and did a badass job of it in the process.

For me, lore is the immersion. Without it, the game becomes a boring grind.

Lore does matter, but I'd play just about everything. I do however refuse to do SoO because I refuse to kill Nazgrim.

Deleted

what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in
    1. Yes but character model, animations and racials are more important when choosing race, roughly in that order.
    2. Yes but still less important than the above three.
    3. Yes but it's not as important as how that class plays
    4. Yes. It's the 2nd important thing in choosing a faction, right after playing with my friends
    5. Definitely. I mainly look for lore and fun quests in equal measure when choosing questing areas
    6. Only if it was an absolute trainwreck. The lore hasn't always been great, but nothing that would come close to making me quit by itself. If I quit, it'll probably be for gameplay reasons

As a summary lore makes a big difference in my enjoyment of the game because it affects almost everything a little bit. It's not the most important factor in anything except questing. The month after a new expansion is some of my favourite time in Wow because of all the new quests, locations and lore. I wouldn't still be playing WoW if I didn't like the setting.

It's a bit like asking if I'd still like food if there were no spices other than salt. A lot of things would still taste good, and food would still nourish you, but it wouldn't be the same.
    Last edited by mmoc7960b93d6c; 2013-11-05 at 09:58 PM.

what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in
    1. Nowadays, yes. When I started, no. I did not play any WC game before I started in 2007 and only went Horde b/c all my buds were Horde.

2. Do not care.

3. Nowadays, yes. Because it can make the diff between having awesome leveling zones (Undead storyline in Eastern Kingdoms) versus some of the really unpolished Alliance questlines.

4. It can matter, but this is more about gear and how fun the quests are to me. For example, Vash'jir for the longest time would seriously keep you in WotLK gear until damn near 81, whereas you have tossed all your WotLK epics in Hyjal by 81.

5. Yes. If the next expansion was an MoP-style curveball, I would probably stay subbed to hit level cap then bail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without Lore this game would not keep me exciting when a new patch comes out as it always has more hints & story for the future.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

What do the numbers signify?

Deleted
    The lore matters a lot to me, but the questions don't make sense to me. I like all classes' lore and all races' lore. I would quit the game if the lore was bad.

Well WoW is a MMORPG, hence the epitome of shit gameplay. If it were not for the story to immerse myself and the people I play with, I doubt I would really enjoy playing it at all. So yeah, all of the above are true, at least to some extent. Especially choosing a character is heavily dependant on the character model though. I can't stand tauren or the midget races, nor some of the utterly retarded animations alot of races have, like the male night elf casting animation, the human running animation, the orcs hunched back, the dumb face of female pandaren/worgen and so on...

As a lore nerd I do all questing zones anyway, so it does not really matter what area I play in. At least on my main character. For my alts I usually go with the more polished or fun quests and try to avoid zones like vash'jir with their utterly overpowered nagas at the beginning and rather go for Hyjal. I guess it would depend on the character to some degree though, maybe If I were to play as a dwarf I would put more emphasis on going to twilight highlands, but I usually don't play one :P.

Edit: I take it 5 means alot? Voted that because that seemed the most reasonable to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, I play games for stories, for the most part. I love Forsaken and good old Eastern Kingdoms' lore. That's why I'm not playing this panda shit.