Suggested Intel motherboard/CPU combo for around $500?

Currently I play Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Planetside 2. They run well on lower settings, but I'm due for an upgrade.

I use ArcGIS for work which can easily crash out with my current system.

This is the first and only computer I built four and half years ago. I upgraded the video card and RAM two years ago.

Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x3 720 Black Edition
    Video Card: Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Power Supply: Corsair TX750W

I figure a mobo/cpu swap is in order to get the most bang for my buck. My GPU doesn't seem to be lagging behind the current models too bad. I believe my power supply is more than sufficient. I believe my RAM to be up to snuff, though 16 GB would be nice for ArcGIS.

I checked Tom's Hardware and think I should go with an Ivy Bridge or Haswell processor. I have a difficult time seeing the difference between them. I suppose going LGA 2011 allows for CPU's with more than four cores. It doesn't seem gaming really improves with the extra cores, but perhaps ArcGIS might.

How do OS reinstalls do with mobo swaps?

Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, would I need to reinstall Microsoft Office as well as Windows 7 after installing the new mobo?

This should do the trick.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $389.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-06 22:52 EST-0500)

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    This should do the trick.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $389.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-06 22:52 EST-0500)
    That pretty much nails it except i'd reccommend the gigabyte Z87X-UD4H over the asus. It really is pulling out as the top mobo for that price range.

Ignore socket 2011, it's pointless and over priced for what a gamer needs. Haswell, as underwhelming as it is compared to ivy, has no real reason not to go with it if you're upgrading.

Windows will just need a simple re-install, unless it's the OEM version which makes he process a tiny bit more complicated but no big deal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    That pretty much nails it except i'd reccommend the gigabyte Z87X-UD4H over the asus. It really is pulling out as the top mobo for that price range.

Ignore socket 2011, it's pointless and over priced for what a gamer needs. Haswell, as underwhelming as it is compared to ivy, has no real reason not to go with it if you're upgrading.

Windows will just need a simple re-install, unless it's the OEM version which makes he process a tiny bit more complicated but no big deal.
    If it was Windows 8, and you have a Microsoft account linked with a particular key, then it's as simple as calling up Support and following the Activate instructions in Win8. I'm not 100% on whether that's the case with 7. Lordsphinx has it about right on the mobo/CPU combo, though I'd also recommend an after-market cooler (such as the Corsair H80i or the Noctua D14.)

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    If it was Windows 8, and you have a Microsoft account linked with a particular key, then it's as simple as calling up Support and following the Activate instructions in Win8. I'm not 100% on whether that's the case with 7. Lordsphinx has it about right on the mobo/CPU combo, though I'd also recommend an after-market cooler (such as the Corsair H80i or the Noctua D14.)
    I only need the cooler if I choose to overclock, correct?

I read on the Newegg reviews for the i5-4670K and it mentioned deliding. That looks like hardcore stuff I'm not advanced enough for.

Are these water coolers simply fans I stick in the motherboard, or do I mount them on the actual CPU chip?
    Last edited by LonestarHero; 2013-11-07 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I only need the cooler if I choose to overclock, correct?

I read on the Newegg reviews for the i5-4670K and it mentioned deliding. That looks like hardcore stuff I'm not advanced enough for.

Are these water coolers simply fans I stick in the motherboard, or do I mount them on the actual CPU chip?
    You mount the cooler on the chip - follow the instructions on the cooler and motherboard.

And yes, delidding is really hardcore stuff and not for people who don't have steady hands.

I ordered the Noctua D14. To go with my Core i5-4670K.

I apologize for my ignorance, I have never installed a cooler or overclocked before.

I'm guessing when I mount the CPU I will not be installing the factory heat sink as the Noctua D14 will be taking its place, correct?

Does the thermal grease act as an adhesive? It also looks like if I want to upgrade my RAM later on, I will have to remove the cooler.
    Last edited by LonestarHero; 2013-11-15 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I ordered the Noctua D14. To go with my Core i5-4670K.

I apologize for my ignorance, I have never installed a cooler or overclocked before.

I'm guessing when I mount the CPU I will not be installing the factory heat sink as the Noctua D14 will be taking its place, correct?

Does the thermal grease act as an adhesive? It also looks like if I want to upgrade my RAM later on, I will have to remove the cooler.
    The grease is the thermal interface between the CPU and the cooler. And yes, you're correct in that the Noctua takes the place of the stock cooler. Ensure that the backplate is correctly attached for the aftermarket coolers, if it's relevant, and yes, should you need to upgrade the RAM, then I'd suggest also getting a quality thermal grease and cleaning solution when you get the RAM.