Some disc healing doubts

Hello. I recently came back to wow for 5.4 after being only present in 5.0 and geared my priest to raid (first time ever I'm raiding as healer in 6 years of wow). I now have 530 ilvl and just started to raid with my guild 2nd group on SoO 10N. Ive read too much about disc healing but i still have some doubts. I feel that sometimes i get lost in a fight not knowing what to do (which heals are better for each situation) and i end up atonement healing. Plus sometimes i struggle when heavy aoe damage comes cos i just think my PoH is way too slow to get trough the dmg. This is one of my worst struggles since i feel i can't top the raids health. The only weapon i have for this is T6 talent (at least thats how i feel in raid)

I always try to use penance and HF on cd and barely use Heal/FH/Renew if ever. My main heal is certainly atonement+divine aegis but sometimes i think it isn't enough. Of course i use pom on cd, spirit shell for dmg inc phases (as often as i can) but i find that plenty of times i end up using it on cd (on norushen for example). Inner focus i use normally with PoH for shielding a group. I realize i don't use PW:S often. I have aura for tracking rapture and try to use it every 12 seconds but i know i skip these many times. Is it that important for mana and healing?

For example in norushen i ended with 120k HPS and we were 3 healers. IS it ok for my gear or should i be pulling way more? Plus i feel that sometimes i am very low mana efficient and end up going oom usually and having to wait for mind bender to get some mana back. This is my armory link if you have any critics or suggestions to my gear. (Couldn't post the link since I'm new user but if you want to see check: Aimold - human priest- Aggra

If you guys can help me tell me how should i burst heal in some heavy aoe phases or how efficient i could be if change something in my way of healing.

Thank you everyone =)

Deleted
    Hello Aimold, as i can see you dont have the legendary meta yet and running 1 regen trinket i would say your spirit level seems ok, that cleave trinket you are running though is not very effective as a disc priest, any chance you have another one? The one with passive int and regen on use from valor points is nice if you have that available. Personally i would even use the Darkmoonfaire trinket over that cleave trinket.

I would really consider regemming my gear if i were you, teh way you have gemmed now doesnt make much sense to me, for example lets say you would put 2x purified gems in your gloves and 2x purified gems in your chest, you woujld end up getting the same amount of spirit but gain 120 int.

You should try to raise your crit abit more, cause even for your gear level you should be able to reach a descent amount.

Try gem spirit + crit in blues(misty), crit in yellow(smooth) and int crit in red ones(potent).

If you do that and try get ahold of either one more regen trinket with passive int or the Prismatic trinket from sha of pride, then you should be set.

Regarding your playstyle, one good advice i can give you is that if the raid dmg is fairly high but you dont feel like switching to PoH spam, Shield yourself, pop your tier 6 talent(in conjunction with Archangel if possible) then keep atonement healing, if you shield yourself and make sure you are never the lowest player your atonement healing gets more efficient since you only do 50% healing to yourself with atonement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another two tips, at least for Norushen:

1) Divine Star. Your group should be stacked most of the time. Divine Star shines, a lot.
    2) Ask your raid leader to let you clanse your corruption FIRST. As Disc you can just get in, DPS the add and win. Without corruption your atonement heal will be way, waaaaaaaay better.

Edit: Work on those PW:S. If the log I found is the most recent, you need more, MOOOOAR shields. Really. MOOOOAR! (Without Meta Gem, at least for Rapture, that will give you A LOT of mana back.
    Last edited by Drugshock; 2013-11-06 at 12:20 PM.
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!

I wasn't looking for rotation was looking for some guidance on comparison between spamming some poh+t6 talent in heavy dmg phases or continue with atonment...this is because witouht hero or PI my poh has 2.3s casts which is a lot.

The logs that exist aren't updated but ill update as soon as i can.

But thank you for the help ill check the gems issue and i ll change the trinket also. Concerning shields ill have to do way more shields during fight.
    If you have any more suggestions please tell me.

Thank you =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimold View Post
    I wasn't looking for rotation was looking for some guidance on comparison between spamming some poh+t6 talent in heavy dmg phases or continue with atonment...this is because witouht hero or PI my poh has 2.3s casts which is a lot.

The logs that exist aren't updated but ill update as soon as i can.

But thank you for the help ill check the gems issue and i ll change the trinket also. Concerning shields ill have to do way more shields during fight.
    If you have any more suggestions please tell me.

Thank you =)

Divine Star on CD. If u clean your corruption first, atonement should be "close to enough" to keep ur raid alive. Personally, since I run low spirit, PoH close-to-only during SS.

Just use twist of fate on every single encounter.

You'll generally be atonement healing every single second you're not using PoH or pws anyway. And pws is used sparingly, generally on the tanks during lucidity or every 12 seconds, used on the raid if they're in trouble or dotted.

Concerning the trinket i have the Valor one which should be better than cleave no? And for what trinkets should i aim as disc priest?

I love Disc Priest advice!

"MOOOOAR shields. Really. MOOOOAR!"
    "And pws is used sparingly"

Which I guess means Blizz did something right with the spec design. I guess more PW:S if you are Mastery-focused, more Atonement if you are Crit focused?

Well no.

It depends highly on whether or not you have the LMG. If you have the LMG, you should be getting out 1-3 our per proc. For me that's quite a few times per minute. At a bare minimum, you should be using is roughly every 12-13 seconds. At the bare minimum. Which may not seem like a lot, but it adds up to quite a bit of healing.

The Yul'ons bite trinket is a very safe choice, the DPS caster one on the Timeless Isle. Much better than the cleave, IMHO.

Use ToF on adds with SW: P or Smite, or DS or anything you can get on them to game ToF uptime. DS when stacked is extremely powerful and lines up well with AA.

Dont' be afraid to use PW: S, really. But don't blanket the raid or use it when it won't get used up. Look for people who have debuffs like GArrot on Protectors-- those are the players that will need a shield.

Use PW: S to gain BT to lead into SS casts.

Thanks again Naer, your advice has continually been useful!

No problem!

It's very misleading. Not enough PW S, too much PW S? which is it?

To me, casting every 12-13 seconds a PW: S ends up being a fair amount, add the few under lucidity, and you're doing 5-8/minute, which over say a 8 minute long encounter adds up to be 40 at a bare minumum, or up to 80 ish. Generally floating around 50-60. That's not a small amount, but it's an effective amount.

Unless you have LMG or a ridiculous amount of spirit for some reason, I'd limit PWS use to getting rapture on CD and the occasional emergency where someone might need that 200k buffer to keep them from dying to something. Too much means you're probably not using your mana wisely, too little and you're throwing away free healing with rapture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Disc is very strong in a raid setting. The main benefit of a disc priest over any other healer is the absorbs a disc can put out. Generally absorbs are 40-60% of my overall healing done. Some basic tips based on how I play:

Stat priority of: 2 Crit > 1 Intellect > Spirit to 8k > Mastery > Spirit > Haste

Your spirit depends on many factors. Generally start with around 13-14k, and slowly start reforging out. Once you get a regen trinket and the metagem, spirit is very low priority.

For talents, generally ToF is best for all encounters even if you can't game it very well. You want Divine Star on any fight you stack, and Cascade or Halo on any fight you do not stack. The difference between Halo and Cascade are personal preference, but Cascade it much easier to use optimally so prefer to use that one for now.

For mana regen, without the metagem you want to only ever use PWS after the ICD of Rapture is over, and use your Shadowfiend/Mindbender/PWSolace on CD. Shadowfiend and Mindbender should be used with your mana regen Hymn, and Hymn should be used with innervate if possible. With the metagem you want to only use PWS during the proc, and also it is best to save Halo for the metagem proc too.

For a basic healing priority, I follow this generally:

Light raid damage -> Atonement heal + Rapture procs
    Medium raid damage -> Atonement heal + Rapture procs + PoM on CD + Divine Star on CD
    Heavy raid damage -> Prayer of Healing spam + PoM on CD + Level 90 talent on CD + Rapture procs
    Ridiculous raid damage -> PoH + PoM + Level 90 on CD + CDs

For single target, atonement healing + rapture is adequate. Greater Heal or Penance can be used for very heavy tank damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, just to clarify the "MOAAAR Shields" part. On some logs he had 2-4 shields cast in 3-4 mins wipes. That's why