Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What about the Lich King??

Hi all, first of all sorry if i mess around on my english since im italian.
    Anyway, i always liked so much the ending of WotlK, i was really not expecting the new lich king and Bolvar getting in that position.

At that time i thought we could see the new lich king in action in Cataclysm right after, because the way this new lich king is designed (all burnt and magma-like) felt like really tying in with the whole Cata theme.

It was not the case of course, and we got whole cata and mop without seeing him, i doubt now we will see him in the future at all, but i still hope for that, so what are your thoughts on him?

We will see him? How? When? Why? Is he good? Is he Evil? or he will be just standing there?

Deleted
    I doubt we will ever see him again and even if, then propably not in a major role. The lich king story is essentially done since Arthas is dead.

There are many other storylines to be explored in the future, so there's no need to go back to Northrend.

The Lich King is on ice for a future story arc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Quite literally.

HAH! well played sir, well played.

Where's Arthas' body, where's the shards of frostmourne, and what will happen to Bolvar?
    i want to know!
    I like my coffe like my mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    10/10

Really, at the moment the LK is in a good position to be either used as a future Ally, Enemy, or stay forever there. Just depends on what Blizzard is working towards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    10/10

Really, at the moment the LK is in a good position to be either used as a future Ally, Enemy, or stay forever there. Just depends on what Blizzard is working towards.
    What i hope for is that he will literaly come out from nothing initially, like maybe in a fight with an enemy we cannot beat alone sometimes in the future, and help us (if he is good, and i doubt it)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Bolvar raises his scourge armies to help fight against the burning legion, how epic would that be.

He is definitely not evil, but he is probably fighting against ner'zhul right now to maintain his sanity. I'm a little confused on the wording but according to lore the lich king cannot command the lich kings power as long as the lich king is alive... because when wearing the helm of domination the real lich king is still ner'zhul. Stupid how that term is used for both of them. So in order for Bolvar to control 'his' powers, he would have to somehow destroy ner'zhul? Was there ANYTHING of Arthas left after he put on the helm, or was he immediately 100% evil AKA ner'zhul?

I haven't read this stuff in so long, as I recall Arthas was turning evil before he even wore the helm because frostmourne but I could be wrong. Did he cut his heart out before or after getting the sword? Or was that after he put on the helm, idk. Either way... who knows is Bolvar can control it, because the whole point of the LK body armor is to control its wearer.

i believe blizz said, that story has ended.
    they might use him some day, but not anytime soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I just read the Sylvanas Windrunner short story, what happened to the Shards of Frostmourne?
    It specifically wasn't addressed in the story, I don't think we've addressed it in the lore. Some very smart people picked those things up and took them somewhere where they will be safe. But I can imagine there will be shenanigans one day, with some idiot trying to reforge that thing. Sounds plausible to me, and that's all I know about it... (Source)

What happened to Bolvar? We haven't seen him reign in the scourge at all. What's he doing on the Throne?
    It wasn't an easy transition for him. The scourge and Cult of the Damned operating the in Plaguelands are autonomous. (Source)
    Originally Posted by Cris Metzen
    Q. I have a question regarding the storyline of Ner'zhul: is he finished, or what's going on with that?
    A. "Yes. Yeah, Ner'zhul is done. He served us well in that capacity, but really the Lich King idea... really has the ultimate expression, you know, as Arthas or whatever. Ner'zhul's done." (Source)

Deleted
    I don't imagine that we'll be seeing him anytime soon because it wasn't really that long ago that Bolvar made his sacrifice.

Remember that despite his betrayel of Kil'Jaden, the Lich King was a creation of demonic invention originally and the chaotic magics associated with that undoubtedly are beyond a mortal to completely control. While Bolvar is able to reach a state of 'impasse' with the compulsions of transformation for now at least, it would take a miraculous intervention (not for the first time, so you never know) for him to be able to do anything more than force the state of the lich king into 'do nothing'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I hope Bolvar raises his scourge armies to help fight against the burning legion, how epic would that be.

He is definitely not evil, but he is probably fighting against ner'zhul right now to maintain his sanity. I'm a little confused on the wording but according to lore the lich king cannot command the lich kings power as long as the lich king is alive... because when wearing the helm of domination the real lich king is still ner'zhul. Stupid how that term is used for both of them. So in order for Bolvar to control 'his' powers, he would have to somehow destroy ner'zhul? Was there ANYTHING of Arthas left after he put on the helm, or was he immediately 100% evil AKA ner'zhul?

I haven't read this stuff in so long, as I recall Arthas was turning evil before he even wore the helm because frostmourne but I could be wrong. Did he cut his heart out before or after getting the sword? Or was that after he put on the helm, idk. Either way... who knows is Bolvar can control it, because the whole point of the LK body armor is to control its wearer.
    Yeah good point. I am not an expert of lore, but is Bolvar considered still alive?, i mean he is an undead or an "human" right now?

Deleted
    I think that we'll see him a couple expansions down the line in a return to Northrend expansion, just as we now seem to be returning to Outland/Draenor. I want to see him as an ally rather than a villain - that would be boring and repetitive. Perhaps helping us against Sylvanas if and when she goes full on Lich Queen. There's still plenty of story material there to be had.

Deleted
    Actually, while writing that something just occurred to me. There is a very very clear line of comparison that can be drawn between Aiden, who sacrificed himself to take on the corruption of the dark soulstone at the end of Diablo 1 and then later turned into a vessel of Diablo himself... and what has happened here to Bolvar.

Crikey, wonder when they'll get around to addressing that one. Sorry for being slower than many others! (and of course the caveat that the Highlord may well prove to have more hardy a soul than Aiden so the outcome is not necessarily going to be the same, but if it is then.. major gulp for azeroth! :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    But he's still quite on fire, isn't he?

The Lich King's ending was a smart move from the perspective of story telling.
    At any time Blizzard feels like, the story can be picked up again, and spun further.
    Even a babyface turn of the LK is possible. An unexpected showing up of the LK's armies to aid the known protagonists Horde and Alliance against an enemy so powerful that they apparently cannot overcome the threat they are facing.
    Essentially it's shrouded for now, how Bolvar will cope with the task he took up... Will be preserve the good in him, because the light shields him and is strong enough. Or will he too fall to the darkness and evil, which would logically call a rise of the scourge once again.

We continue....... Stay tuned....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    Yeah good point. I am not an expert of lore, but is Bolvar considered still alive?, i mean he is an undead or an "human" right now?
    Arthas (the LK) failed to break Bolvar. He (for whatever cocky reason) tries to turn Bolvar while he was still alive. At some point it appeared Bolvar was/is exceptionally gifted by the light, that protects him. He was not dead, when he took up the crown. He was beyond the point of recovery though. Eventually he would have died. That reflects in the dialog of the cut scene after Arthas' dead.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Arthas didn't turn evil. Atleast not not the common type evil. More like mad, you know ... Deathwing style, because of Frostmourne. The LK can in a way mindcontrol the sword wielder with evil whipsers and shizzles.
    Also when you put the helm of damnation your soul merge with the entity inside it, aka Ner'zul spirit and when the merge is complete we got the entity known as The Lich King. Atleast thats what happend when Arthas put it on his head.
    Now thats the thing that i was thinking when i watched the end cinematic in ICC - "wait wasn't Arthas and Ner'zul merged in one being? Why Arthas is still there? So They didn't merge? Hmm there is something fishy here! Or my name is Archibald! AND It is not!". So im thinking Bizard can do some day a sweet shinennigans witch will involve the "new" Lich King (Bolvar+Ner'zul) and (as people speculate) some legion or god know what

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    Arthas didn't turn evil. Atleast not not the common type evil. More like mad, you know ... Deathwing style, because of Frostmourne. The LK can in a way mindcontrol the sword wielder with evil whipsers and shizzles.
    Also when you put the helm of damnation your soul merge with the entity inside it, aka Ner'zul spirit and when the merge is complete we got the entity known as The Lich King. Atleast thats what happend when Arthas put it on his head.
    Now thats the thing that i was thinking when i watched the end cinematic in ICC - "wait wasn't Arthas and Ner'zul merged in one being? Why Arthas is still there? So They didn't merge? Hmm there is something fishy here! Or my name is Archibald! AND It is not!". So im thinking Bizard can do some day a sweet shinennigans witch will involve the "new" Lich King (Bolvar+Ner'zul) and (as people speculate) some legion or god know what
    You overlooking 2 things...
    1. The helm was no longer on Arthas head....
    2. Frostmourne was shattered, and with that the controlling powers of the sword itself were gone.

Arthas took up Frostmourne, and that alone bent his will into madness and ill judgement, leading him to kill his own father and then some......
    He became the Lich King when he took up the crown (helm)... You remove those 2 artifacts and you get back the remains of what the person once was.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    But he's still quite on fire, isn't he?

The Lich King's ending was a smart move from the perspective of story telling.
    At any time Blizzard feels like, the story can be picked up again, and spun further.
    Even a babyface turn of the LK is possible. An unexpected showing up of the LK's armies to aid the known protagonists Horde and Alliance against an enemy so powerful that they apparently cannot overcome the threat they are facing.
    Essentially it's shrouded for now, how Bolvar will cope with the task he took up... Will be preserve the good in him, because the light shields him and is strong enough. Or will he too fall to the darkness and evil, which would logically call a rise of the scourge once again.

We continue....... Stay tuned....

- - - Updated - - -

Arthas (the LK) failed to break Bolvar. He (for whatever cocky reason) tries to turn Bolvar while he was still alive. At some point it appeared Bolvar was/is exceptionally gifted by the light, that protects him. He was not dead, when he took up the crown. He was beyond the point of recovery though. Eventually he would have died. That reflects in the dialog of the cut scene after Arthas' dead.
    Thanks for answering, and i agree with you, how epic would be bolvar and his army goin with the horde and alliance against something too much powerful

10+ Year Old Account
    As LK, Bolvar is much weaker than Arthas was. Bolvar doesn't have the necromantic power of Frostmourne nor does he have Ner'zhul around to teach him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    "Now Arthas and Ner'zhul's spirit are one and together they are the Lich King." Bornakk (a CM) back in 2007.

Later, in the novel Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Arthas murders the manifestation of his humanity, then murders Ner'zhul within himself:
    “We are one, Arthas. Together, we are the Lich King. No more Ner’zhul, no more Arthas—only this one glorious being. With my knowledge, we can—”
    His eyes bulged as the sword impaled him.
    Arthas stepped forward, plunging the glittering, hungering Frostmourne ever deeper into the dream-being that had once been Ner’zhul, then the Lich King, and was soon to be nothing, nothing at all. He slipped his other arm around the body, pressing his lips so close to the green ear that the gesture was almost intimate, as intimate as the act of taking a life always was and always would be.
    “No,” Arthas whispered. “No we. No one tells me what to do. I’ve got everything I need from you—now the power is mine and mine alone. Now there is only I. I am the Lich King. And I am ready.”
    The orc shuddered in his arms, stunned by the betrayal, and vanished.
    Arthas, the Lich King, alone in his glory and power, slowly opened his eyes.

In the manga Legends: Fate, Arthas says, "Ner'zhul is no more. He is consumed. There is only Arthas now..."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Arthas is 100% dead, confirmed in the same Blizz quote that says Illidan will be coming back.
    We also see Arthas' soul floating around in Warcraft hell during Sylanas' short story.