It goes without saying that Illidan is one of the most iconic figures of the entire Warcraft series alongside Thrall, and Arthas.
Personally, as you can see from my avatar, he is my favorite character from the entire series itself.

Knowing that Arthas was laid to rest and his chapter was ended in a somewhat-proper fashion is satisfying. Thrall has a pretty constant role throughout the MMO, but Illidan was left high-and-dry on the closing to his saga.

If Blizzard was to bring him back to the game in a very logical and rational way (not through "oh i just wokeup cause i wasnt wounded enough like the time I fought Arthas Icecrown lololol).....how would you presume it be done? Would you want his role to be a reformed hero, anti-hero, or villain?

Personally, I'd love for a twist of events where his return involves protecting Malfurion or Tyrande indirectly and unknowingly from harm, thus reinstating him into a certain sect of Night Elf society. As for how he survived getting beaten, I cant quite think of anything unless it involves the Twisting Nether.
Then Maeiv could return and become an enemy of the state for attempting to pursue Illidan again and she secludes herself from society because he was reaccepted.

I also think the rejoining of Night Elf Mages into Night Elf society will help Illidan's return be a little more smooth this time around as well.