Deleted

trying out tanking

so i've been playing reti for a while but want to try out tanking. question being can i tank in reti gear? most pieces if not all being haste/mastery pieces. trinkets i got lfr one frome malkork and the vp one(dps trinket)

also are their any easy addon for tracking just debuffs on the other tank/me and also that might warn when to taunt(outside dbm addons).?

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...indra/advanced

the armory are the gear i got except for the malk trinket and a shield /one hand i got=)

Yep haste/mastery is fine, you might want to pick up a bit of extra expertise to get to 15%. Just slap on a 1h and shield and you're fine.
    Oh, Evil Eye is kinda useless of course but you already pointed that out.

Typically as protection you wouldn't pick up so many socket bonuses (and definitely not with strength gems) but that's not a huge issue if you just wanna try out tanking in lfr or flex.

I usually just /focus the other tank to see his debuffs.
    Last edited by Lackluster; 2013-12-19 at 08:39 PM.

As an aside, I would suggest starting out with earlier instances first in LFR. Start with Mogushan Vaults and work your way up from there. Don't just jump SoO normals or Flex. It will allow you to get the hang of it in a less stressful situation where your lack of experience and some tanking pieces will be easily outgeared by your dps and healers.

Deleted
    thx alot for the tips guys was actualy gonna regem. just wanted to be sure the gear works ^_^

/focus works but I sometimes use TellMeWhen for debuffs if it's a fight where I can't really pay attention to /focus. I put a big icon above my character that tracks the time remaining / stacks on the debuff. Usually you taunt when your own debuff expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqira91 View Post
    also are their any easy addon for tracking just debuffs on the other tank/me and also that might warn when to taunt(outside dbm addons)
    If you use weakaura2 you can try these, will need to change the name under groups trigger to the OT.
    Most of these from a pack someone made, with modifcation and additions by myself, this is obs only for SoO. Id suggest having at least target of target on so you can see other tanks stacks as a backup.

Code:
    d0dfvaGEa8sskTliO61qqMPI0CjiA2c9BsDtsQ62k13GIoTu7uj7fTBI2pvPFscdtc14GGINrqnuOqdMQy4q0bjW0GahwHZjHelurTuO0ILOwovEOes9uvpMqph0evetvWKH00fDrccDva6YuUoqBKQsBfckTzOA7ee8rjK0xji9zj9DQkgPeI)cOrtsgpjfNKQQBbfCns05LildcDmjyBKuzwGb(bdm5H8iIWlgHlm)MhLhLbE1OahhAjxfq4fxCXykmIiaXcimyQK3z1wldLqA8vNgejVPgKdjQHYY8qlIJrDlt(zfHGc1pvi6BGFGI2zRLJiW011Q5GmWKVr5VwHxpHbOm96za6gqVEWGxpkc8sWDW11Q5GCvGpQhOmW70rJb(nymBgyYKjFjf44qlPVyabklwPsefgtmreZcfLcfJaIJbLiYKxKbUkWaF66A1CmWdk7KFB7YMJhI0eB8weqzN8thsPgAdEuRmioEOesJVicWQEFbCkVCSnidCvG3xNgMWu72E9801iKXKxeeM6nqvnQXN92qzYRY6QQKlLyYh1dug4bHgqX4aczzEqObeaT04mVthng4HTSgn(GGLA53GXSzGjtEa0sJ)TvnVE04E9OWvD9EpC8GqdOthnoZlghqid8WwwJgVqfGfRFfy53GXSzGhJcMkyI)fN5NGfq)t4mtM8qKMid8WwwJgxcZVbJzZaxcZzMmzYJRL5BamUqeb8oR2AzOesJVf1s(skWXHwYfgkOoL8nkVVonmHP2T965PRriJ3NgnvXLsm5LG7GRRvZb5Qa)afTZwlhrGPRRvZbzGjVAuGJdTKlevwmVOwhr1(i5mtUqKb(011Q5yGhu2j)22LnhpePj24TiGYo5NoKsn0g8OwzqC8qjKgFreGv9(c4uE5yBqg4QaVq1Gsud1Rhm6AuJjViim1BGQAuJp7THYKxL1vvjxkXKpQhOmWdcnGIXbeYY8GqdiaAPXzENoAmWdBznA8bbl1YVbJzZatM8aOLg)BRAE9OX96rHR669E44bHgqNoACMxmoGqg4HTSgnEHkalw)kWYVbJzZapgfmvWe)loZpblG(NWzMm5Hinrg4HTSgnUeMFdgZMbUeMZmzYKhxlZ3ayCHic4rBiY4O0ZHicb596H3z1wldLqA8TOwYxsboo0sUWqb1PKVr5fQguIAOE9GrxJA8(0OPkUuIjVeChCDTAoixf4hOOD2A5icmDDTAoidm5vJcCCOLCHOYI5f16iQ2hjNzYLWmWNUUwnhd8GYo532US54HinXgVfbu2j)0HuQH2Gh1kdIJhkH04lIaSQ3xaNYlhBdYaxf4lATZPHTqW86zooGjtErqyQ3av1OgF2BdLjVkRRQsUuIjFupqzGheAafJdiKL5bHgqa0sJZ8oD0yGh2YA04dcwQLFdgZMbMm5bqln(3w186rJ71Jcx1179WXdcnGoD04mVyCaHmWdBznA8cvawS(vGLFdgZMbEmkyQGj(xCMFcwa9pHZmzYdrAImWdBznACjm)gmMndCjmNzYKjpUwMVbW4creW7SARLHsin(wul5lPahhAjxyOG6uY3O8fT250WwiyE9mhhWK3NgnvXLsm5LG7GRRvZb5Qa)afTZwlhrGPRRvZbzGjVAuGJdTKlevwmVOwhr1(i5mtUqad8PRRvZXapOSt(TTlBoEistSXBraLDYpDiLAOn4rTYG44Hsin(IiaR69fWP8YX2GmWvb(BrCVEMOblNm5fbHPEduvJA8zVnuM8QSUQk5sjM8r9aLbEqObumoGqwMheAabqlnoZ70rJbEylRrJpiyPw(nymBgyYKhaT04FBvZRhnUxpkCvxV3dhpi0a60rJZ8IXbeYapSL1OXlubyX6xbw(nymBg4XOGPcM4FXz(jyb0)eoZKjpePjYapSL1OXLW8BWy2mWLWCMjtM84Az(gaJleraVZQTwgkH04BrTKVKcCCOLCHHcQtjFJYFlI71Zeny5K3NgnvXLsm5LG7GRRvZb5Qa)afTZwlhrGPRRvZbzGjVAuGJdTKlevwmVOwhr1(i5mtUuYaF66A1CmWdk7KFB7YMJhI0eB8weqzN8thsPgAdEuRmioEOesJVicWQEFbCkVCSnidCvG3Fv2P51Ja3w7yYlcct9gOQg14ZEBOm5vzDvvYLsm5J6bkd8GqdOyCaHSmpi0acGwACM3PJgd8WwwJgFqWsT8BWy2mWKjpaAPX)2QMxpACVEu4QUEVhoEqOb0PJgN5fJdiKbEylRrJxOcWI1VcS8BWy2mWJrbtfmX)IZ8tWcO)jCMjtEistKbEylRrJlH53GXSzGlH5mtMm5X1Y8nagxiIaENvBTmucPX3IAjFjf44ql5cdfuNs(gL334yBE9GWAYeY7tJMQ4sjM8sWDW11Q5GCvGFGI2zRLJiW011Q5GmWKxnkWXHwYfIklMxuRJOAFKCMjxQJb(011Q5yGhu2j)22LnhpePj24TiGYo5NoKsn0g8OwzqC8qjKgFreGv9(c4uE5yBqg4Qa)bLOMRLvVEMJAFyYlcct9gOQg14ZEBOm5vzDvvYLsm5J6bkd8GqdOyCaHSmpi0acGwACM3PJgd8WwwJgFqWsT8BWy2mWKjpaAPX)2QMxpACVEu4QUEVhoEqOb0PJgN5fJdiKbEylRrJxOcWI1VcS8BWy2mWJrbtfmX)IZ8tWcO)jCMjtEistKbEylRrJlH53GXSzGlH5mtMm5X1Y8nagxiIaENvBTmucPX3IAjFjf44ql5cdfuNs(gL)GsuZ1YQxpZrTp8(0OPkUuIjVeChCDTAoixf4hOOD2A5icmDDTAoidm5vJcCCOLCHOYI5f16iQ2hjNzYfMmWNUUwnhd8GYo532US54HinXgVfbu2j)0HuQH2Gh1kdIJhkH04lIaSQ3xaNYlhBdYaxf49DKJOxppDnczm5fbHPEduvJA8zVnuM8QSUQk5sjM8r9aLbEqObumoGqwMheAabqlnoZ70rJbEylRrJpiyPw(nymBgyYKhaT04FBvZRhnUxpkCvxV3dhpi0a60rJZ8IXbeYapSL1OXlubyX6xbw(nymBg4XOGPcM4FXz(jyb0)eoZKjpePjYapSL1OXLW8BWy2mWLWCMjtM84Az(gaJleraVZQTwgkH04BrTKVKcCCOLCHHcQtjFJY77ihrVEE6AeY4hGPML5hOOD2A5icmDDTAoidm5vJcCCOLCHOYI59PrtvCPetEj4o46A1CqUkWJ2qKXrj)IAjVFzAo8HOjK(f1sOq6ZW5ATdOpDefimDnczm5cHHbECTmFdGXfIiGxnkWXHwYfIklMpQhOmWdcnGIXbeYY8GqdiaAPXzENoAmWdBznA8bbl1YVbJzZatM8aOLg)BRAE9OX96rHR669E44bHgqNoACMxmoGqg4HTSgnEHkalw)kWYVbJzZapgfmvWe)loZpblG(NWzMm5Hinrg4HTSgnUeMFdgZMbUeMZmzYK3z1wldLqA8TOwYpqr7S1Yrey66A1CqgyYlb3bxxRMdYvb(011Q5yGhu2j)22LnhpePj24TiGYo5NoKsn0g8OwzqC8qjKgFreGv9(c4uE5yBqg4QaVV2Wb1BZRhS6HJjViim1BGQAuJp7THYK3NgnvXLsm5BuEFTHdQ3Mxpy1dhVkRRQsUuIjFjf44ql5cdfuNsMCvuyGxnkWXHwYfIklMVKcCCOLCHHcQtjF66A1CmWdk7KFB7YMJhI0eB8weqzN8thsPgAdEuRmioEOesJVicWQEFbCkVCSnidCvGxignX0PH5iBrVEkAvdx1yYlcct9gOQg14ZEBOm5vzDvvYLsm5J6bkd8GqdOyCaHSmpi0acGwACM3PJgd8WwwJgFqWsT8BWy2mWKjpaAPX)2QMxpACVEu4QUEVhoEqOb0PJgN5fJdiKbEylRrJxOcWI1VcS8BWy2mWJrbtfmX)IZ8tWcO)jCMjtEistKbEylRrJlH53GXSzGlH5mtMm5X1Y8nagxiIaENvBTmucPX3IAj)am1Sm)afTZwlhrGPRRvZbzGjVpnAQIlLyYlb3bxxRMdYvb(gLxignX0PH5iBrVEkAvdx14rBiY4OKFrTK3Vmnh(q0es)IAjuipslgbEvJ9qc85iBXRslIq8IADev7JKZm5QqXmWRgf44ql5crLfZxsboo0sUWqb1PKpDDTAog4bLDYVTDzZXdrAInElcOSt(PdPudTbViim1BGQAuJp7THYlhBdYaxf4lQUgjYww96zIbroAhtEuRmioEOesJVicWQEFbCktEvwxvLCPet(OEGYapi0akghqilZdcnGaOLgN5D6OXapSL1OXheSul)gmMndmzYdGwA8VTQ51Jg3RhfUQR37HJheAaD6OXzEX4aczGh2YA04fQaSy9Ral)gmMnd8yuWubt8V4m)eSa6FcNzYKhI0ezGh2YA04sy(nymBg4syoZKjtECTmFdGXfIiG3z1wldLqA8TOwYpatnlZpqr7S1Yrey66A1CqgyY7tJMQ4sjM8sWDW11Q5GCvGVr5lQUgjYww96zIbroAhpAdrghL8lQL8(LP5WhIMq6xulHc5rAXiWj2ivPwzxvLaF6gYkyCKgVOwhr1(i5mtM8cbUkGGcfZKea
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Kind of in the same spot myself, but I don't have a decent 1H and Shield -

I am probably going to buy Greens or try and finish some quests for a Blue to get a 1h+Shield until I can get something better to drop from LFR.

Is there anything for JP you can buy?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I bet I could solo MoP normal dungeons (the 85-86 ones) with my Ret gear...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by heerobya View Post
    Kind of in the same spot myself, but I don't have a decent 1H and Shield -

I am probably going to buy Greens or try and finish some quests for a Blue to get a 1h+Shield until I can get something better to drop from LFR.

Is there anything for JP you can buy?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I bet I could solo MoP normal dungeons (the 85-86 ones) with my Ret gear...
    there's crafted shields 450-476 or so I believe. same with 1 handers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    there's crafted shields 450-476 or so I believe. same with 1 handers.
    Way too pricey on my server... but I'm farming something for a few hours either way I guess... 3000 honor for 498 PvP 1h/Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Aqira91 View Post
    so i've been playing reti for a while but want to try out tanking. question being can i tank in reti gear? most pieces if not all being haste/mastery pieces. trinkets i got lfr one frome malkork and the vp one(dps trinket)

also are their any easy addon for tracking just debuffs on the other tank/me and also that might warn when to taunt(outside dbm addons).?

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...indra/advanced

the armory are the gear i got except for the malk trinket and a shield /one hand i got=)
    Not sure what your ilvl is (can't take that link) but I do all my tanking in DPS gear if I run 5mans or LFR, and I've even tanked a few Flex bosses when necessary in my DPS gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Not sure what your ilvl is (can't take that link) but I do all my tanking in DPS gear if I run 5mans or LFR, and I've even tanked a few Flex bosses when necessary in my DPS gear.
    Considering that the gear is similar anyway. You'll have hit cap and exp cap anyway, many prot paladins will go up to 15% expertise though but it's not entirely necessary. The gemming is really the only thing that is different.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

seeing your gear id say the only "challenge" will be you lack both the legendary tanking gem and cloak.
    and those are quite freaking awesome for tanking.. besides that your gear so far should be more than good to clear flex + a few first bosses normal - if the group isent lower geared than you /or and/ is mouthbreathers with no clue how to play.

stalking on i see your main is in a guild doing great HC progress. so id say if your going to do runs in flex/norm it should be a breese as you guys know the encounters and such..

GL n welcome to the OPness of paladin tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unproven View Post

GL n welcome to the OPness of paladin tanks
    I haven't tanked in 5.4, did some heroics and some LFR in 5.2 and 5.3... but did anything change?

If I remember right, we pretty much just Judge, Crusader (or HotR for AoE), Dazing Shield or glyphed Exo, then spam SotR every time we have 3 holy power?

Also, still using SoT or should a paly tank use Insight?

I haven't tanked in 5.4, did some heroics and some LFR in 5.2 and 5.3... but did anything change?

If I remember right, we pretty much just Judge, Crusader (or HotR for AoE), Dazing Shield or glyphed Exo, then spam SotR every time we have 3 holy power?

You should DEFINITELY read the protection paladin guide stickied in this forum, your memory is a little foggy. :P
    Protection paladins don't have exorcism for example and yeah use Seal of Insight.

10+ Year Old Account

Paladin tanks have used Seal of Insight since MOP launch. Exorcism isn't even available to protection paladins any more. I don't remember using it in cata, did we even have it? I remember using it for a pull in WOTLK if I wanted to get the most threat on pull but that was the last time. Your memory is extremely foggy, check out the guide I wrote and that should help somewhat Can post questions on there or the Fix My Tanking thread if you've got any queries afterwards.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    You should DEFINITELY read the protection paladin guide stickied in this forum, your memory is a little foggy. :P
    Protection paladins don't have exorcism for example and yeah use Seal of Insight.
    Thanks, viewed sticky and made some changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get rid of most crit as possible and you`re on the right track

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Just get rid of most crit as possible and you`re on the right track
    Crits is actually a really good stat for us... not until after 50% haste though. You may end up with some haste/crit pieces and providing you're hit and exp capped then that's actually a really good item. I think it's Jellospally on here that has been fortunate to get enough gear that he's got a very high crit % now whilst maintaining 50% haste and the relevant hit/exp caps. His dps and self healing will be phenomenal.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking in Ret gear is actually better than wasting item slots on double-avoidence gear. Keep your Ret set as is, swap in a 1hander and Shield, and swap out a few pieces for Expertise without lowering your Hit, and presto! You have a nice Tank set.

SJ