Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Oh for fucks sake she's wearing more than people wear at the beach. You wouldn't take your kid to the beach? You americans need to get your head out of your ass when it comes to the body. Violence is completely fine but a little nudity and you lose your shit.
    Why are you comparing the beach to a gaming convention?

You need to tone down your posts, insulting people that disagree with you will not get your point across. I don't think people are saying there's a problem with the actual fact of her being in a skimpy outfit, you can see that anywhere. The problem is that this was a cosplay contest, and she isn't really cosplaying anything relevant - let alone wearing much of a costume to begin with. Like I said in other posts, the difference between the male barbarian, cosplays such as Alexstrasza, etc. and this one is that those are legit characters. She really just took recognizable parts of the Lich King's armor, slapped it on top of a few pieces of cloth and said "female lich king!"

Agree to disagree I guess, it's obvious you will just keep calling everyone "slut shamers" anyway.

ok lets all agree that her costume matches the fan art and the fan art itself was being "slutty" can we move on now

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMxyzptlk View Post
    ok lets all agree that her costume matches the fan art and the fan art itself was being "slutty" can we move on now
    what is slutty about it??

Soooooooooo wtf is her name, cause the model and her are two different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    The problem is that this was a cosplay contest, and she isn't really cosplaying anything relevant - let alone wearing much of a costume to begin with.
    Cosplay. Serious, serious business.

Inspector Holmes turned to Watson with a smirk, and announced, "I've solved the case of the worldwide stick shortage. All this time, they've been firmly lodged in the posteriors of MMO-Champion inhabitants! We must see to getting them removed at once!"

who cares what her name is. it could be fudge ripple meow. moar pics!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Jesus christ, could she be wearing any less >.>
    I hope so, and hope someone got pics.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

you know at least you people had a lot of good eye candy.
    On the other side it looked like a hydrocephalic convention hit town
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Damn the armor looks great. Good looking woman too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Okay, and be that as it may, she picked a scantily clad rule 63 picture from a fan art post on the Warcraft site. Instead of, you know, something actually decent.

A barbarian in any fashion looks pretty much the same. The Lich "Queen" isn't a real character, it's just a slutty rule 63 drawing done by someone with poor taste.

I certainly have no hate of women, but I do have hate of people who can't see that there are women out there who do these kinds of things for one reason and one reason only. It's fairly obvious. She just wants to make nerdboys go "OMG U R SO DAM HOT!" and drool all over themselves. Well, I personally don't find women that act in such fashion appealing, no matter what they look like. I find it disrespectful to women as well as to men.

A guy dressing as a barbarian who is likely not "hot" is dressing as a barbarian. Same would be said for a woman. This woman isn't dressing as anything else other than what she feels like being because she knows it will have all eyes on her. There's nothing else to it beyond that.
    Usually you are well grounded on the forum, but this post....please don't act like you know who she is why is she dressing the way she is. Stop it, she is dressing up like that for whatever reason she is and if you don't like it, just say you don't. Don't act like you know why she is dressing like it. You say you find it disrespectful, I find it disrespectful to say who can wear what and condemn them for wearing it. I am gonna lay this down and say this, MAYBE just MAYBE she wore it for...fun? Alot of cosplayers male and female wear cosplay for attention as well to say "hey look at this awsome costume I made." Are there women out like you mention, YES, of course there are, but don't try for one second that you know or you think you know why she choose that costume because you don't. Personally she should have worn a little more armor because she does kinda look ridiculous and the fact the armor pieces she had on were amazing.

*Shrug* Costume was good. I don't really care if she is fully armored or not, that is her (or the person hiring her's) decision. I would have preferred a fully armored one with feminine form, but my opinion really isn't that important. It was good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    Just in case you did not know, this is what is known as slut-shaming. A prime example of it, in fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut-shaming

Mods, please lock this thread.
    While some people may be crossing the border from pointing out the ridiculousness of her costume and heading into slut-shaming territory, the main issue with her costume isn't slut-shaming. The problem isn't that she took a character from WoW and made it sexy/feminine, the problem is that she made sex the main focus of the costume. She could have easily taken Arthas and turned him into a female character, hell she could have even gone a step further and added an aura of sexuality to it (a la the girl who won the contest with her Templar outfit) yet the costume was literally shoulders, gloves, greaves and then a g string with a metal bra.

The focus of the costume wasn't "Hey look I'm a strong, female version of a strong, male character" but rather "Hey, I'm a hyper-sexual female version of a strong male character". Compare it to the winner. Yes, her outfit was also fairly risque, but the difference is that, stylistically, it looks like it could be a Protoss outfit straight out of the game.

Now just because she did that doesn't mean she's a slut, by any means. But she had to have made a conscious decision to make the sex appeal be one of the main aspects of the costume as she obviously put a lot of work into the shoulders, greaves, gloves, helmet and sword. She didn't just accidentally go "Oops, I've run out of time, better just throw on a g-string and a metal bra and call it good". That's why some have complaints about it. It's the difference between highlighting and accentuating your sexiness (whether male or female) and making it the main selling point of the outfit.

Good costume. Obviously took a lot of time. 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    While some people may be crossing the border from pointing out the ridiculousness of her costume and heading into slut-shaming territory, the main issue with her costume isn't slut-shaming. The problem isn't that she took a character from WoW and made it sexy/feminine, the problem is that she made sex the main focus of the costume. She could have easily taken Arthas and turned him into a female character, hell she could have even gone a step further and added an aura of sexuality to it (a la the girl who won the contest with her Templar outfit) yet the costume was literally shoulders, gloves, greaves and then a g string with a metal bra.

The focus of the costume wasn't "Hey look I'm a strong, female version of a strong, male character" but rather "Hey, I'm a hyper-sexual female version of a strong male character". Compare it to the winner. Yes, her outfit was also fairly risque, but the difference is that, stylistically, it looks like it could be a Protoss outfit straight out of the game.

Now just because she did that doesn't mean she's a slut, by any means. But she had to have made a conscious decision to make the sex appeal be one of the main aspects of the costume as she obviously put a lot of work into the shoulders, greaves, gloves, helmet and sword. She didn't just accidentally go "Oops, I've run out of time, better just throw on a g-string and a metal bra and call it good". That's why some have complaints about it. It's the difference between highlighting and accentuating your sexiness (whether male or female) and making it the main selling point of the outfit.
    Who are you to say what is and isn't cosplay?

The amount of work she put into getting a stomach that flat is impressive alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Always feels like cheating when I see stuff like this though, you're copping out on making 70% of the costume and trying to get people to vote with their dicks to boot. It's cheap.
    Blizzcon continually surprises me every year because the most intricate and creative costumes win and people don't just vote with their dicks then pick the slightly above average, dolled up attention whores running around in their nickers with their tits practically hanging out of their okay costumes. +1 humanity

Admittedly this year's winner was a tad skank in her get up, but her costume was pretty awesome from head to toe, so I'm not really sore about it. I was pretty surprised to not see the warrior t6 costume even get honorable mention, though.
    Look! Words!

LET...ME...GET...THIS...THROUGH...YOUR...THICK...SKULL...SHE...IS...NOT...DRESSED...AS...A RTHAS. Maybe the words being spread out and in caps will help you understand. Maybe go and look at the artwork that was posted about oh I dunno 40 times maybe will help you since the 8 times it was posted wasn't enough apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post

The amount of work she put into getting a stomach that flat is impressive alone.
    ...they didn't say what is and isn't cosplay? You may be confusing their post with someone else's.

I think Bru kinda nailed it. It's not involving or having command of one's sexuality here that's the problem. The problem is that in this kind of culture, female swapped version of a character = instantly scantily clad. It's all well and good that it was her decision to present it this way, and it's not that I'm particularly upset or offended by her decision to do so, it's just kind of telling that sex appeal HAS to be to that extent for a simple costume involving a gender-flipped character.

To take it a step further, imagine if someone did a gender-swapped Garrosh Hellscream (Cata/Mists era). Instead of being bald they'd inexplicably keep attractive long hair because women can't be bald and considered traditionally attractive, they'd be completely topless, and otherwise they'd only be wearing a g-string, gloves, and the tusks.

Now, ignoring they'd never let someone into the contest like that, let alone the Convention Center, the reality is that the character is really designed that way specifically to be as sexually appealing as possible. It wasn't that someone sat down and said "hey, I like this character, let's gender-flip them," they specifically just sexualized a character and were in a certain frame of view that's the expectation. And it's telling if that's the case.

It just feels kinda lazy and manipulative. The winner had an aura of sexuality to them but it wasn't exclusively for the sake of being completely sexualized.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post

...I'm not saying what is isn't cosplay?

You can dress up in anything you want and call it cosplay, doesn't mean people can't point out ridiculous aspects of it. Whether you feel those points aren't valid doesn't suddenly negate their opinion as it's a subjective call.

Yet the part of my point that isn't subjective is that sexiness was definitely one of the main themes of her costume. That's why some folks are criticizing her for it. Because to many, she went too far with it and kind of lost the part where it's a costume of Arthas.

It's funny how people will criticize those on the puritanical extreme of the sexual morality spectrum, but become indignant if you point out the issues with those who are on the opposite extreme. You can show skin and be sexy, you can accentuate your body and it's okay (male and female). If you sit there and say that sex should never be mentioned in public or even acknowledge, you're too far on the conservative spectrum and need to loosen up. If you make your sexuality the basis of the person you present yourself as, you're too far on the liberal spectrum and should probably calm down a tad. It's okay to be sexual, it's okay to show off your body and acknowledge it, but going to far one way isn't any better then going too far the other way.

The main question that should be asked is as follows: "So what?"

There's nothing wrong with making something hyper-sexual that wasn't previously. That was her choice to make and honestly she did a good job on the costume. I'm a huge lore nut and I don't rightly give a shit if someone makes a cosplay outfit like this of an established lore character. You shouldn't either.
    Again, aside from the typical American phobia of sex and sexuality how is that a bad thing? You're doing lots of accusing and not a lot of explaining.

If it was her conscious decision, whatever, kudos.

I just can't fully believe that there wasn't a huge part of this where people are encouraged to show skin and be provocative to that degree when gamer dudebro culture almost always reduces female characters to this extent, especially in the fantasy genre.

I think the winner was a great example on how to do it right, yet I bet you anything if they covered themselves up completely and removed a bit of that sexuality, but kept the same quality, they'd either not win or at least would be seen in the eyes of other people as more uptight or conservative.

I mean, we're talking about a company that puts orcs wearing bikini-tops in the snow in their expansion trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    LET...ME...GET...THIS...THROUGH...YOUR...THICK...SKULL...SHE...IS...NOT...DRESSED...AS...A RTHAS. Maybe the words being spread out and in caps will help you understand. Maybe go and look at the artwork that was posted about oh I dunno 40 times maybe will help you since the 8 times it was posted wasn't enough apparently.
    ....seriously? I just checked and rechecked all of the pictures in this thread. The helmet she is holding looks near identical to the Lich Kings helm, only the horns are slightly out of scale, her sword is damn-near spot on to be Frostmourne, as well as her shoulder pads looking just like the ones Arthas wore. The photoshopped picture of her she IS wielding Frostmourne so.....how in the hell is she not dressed as Arthas?