Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do you kids insist on saying Blizzard is screwed?

Do a little math with me for a moment.

RIGHT NOW there is 7.6million subs playing just wow, maybe not active, but still paying monthly.

7.6mil * 15 = $114mil * 12 = $1,368,000,000 <--- thats how much they make annually.

It costs roughly $150k a day to keep the servers running and lets just say there is 30 days in every month.

$150,000 * 30 = $4,500,000/mo to run the servers.

They have about 5k employees and I am going to be generous and say everyone at blizz makes 5k a month (60k a year) with exceptions of the big guys.

5,000 * $5,000 = $25,000,000/mo for pay.

Then I will throw in another $1mil for gas and shit for the company vehicles.

And another $5mil for advertisements and misc.

Lets do some math again.
    $114,000,000
    - $35,500,000
    $78,500,000 <--- That is pure profit give or take 10mil. x12 = $942 MILLION

This is also just WoW subs too, keep that in mind. Don't forget services (Name changes, xfers, ect), Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, BlizzCon, Blizzard Store, ect.

I would say they are rolling in a average of around $1.5billion a year in just profits.

Can someone please explain to me how they are "dying?" How they are going to have to go F2P soon or they will be doomed? Cause unless my math is wrong.... They are going to stay afloat for a while.

tl;dr
    Do math, bitch.

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because these kids think in a one dimensional rationality when it comes to thinking of this game. They don't take all things into consideration, they simply hate something, don't see whats really going on, and make wild assumptions.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Because these kids think in a one dimensional rationality when it comes to thinking of this game. They don't take all things into consideration, they simply hate something, don't see whats really going on, and make wild assumptions.
    That's what I was thinking also. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Well said Trassk

Alot of the people complaining either fell for the Legion expansion BS or they never planned on playing in the first place at all they just came here to cause problems, let the forums settle down & most will eventually give in & give the Xpac a chance.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-11-09 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neforpubl View Post
    tl;dr
    Do math, bitch.
    While talking smack you forgot:

Taxes of various kinds (not sure what those might be as I'm not an American, but in the UK those would be VAT, NIC contributions, pensions contributions, etc). This will be huge by the way, at least 20% of the income probably more if the taxation rate is similar to the UK.
    Benefits, such as health, dental, pay related bonuses.
    Software costs, licences, server costs (not game related), website hosting, etc
    Overheads such as rent, energy bills, paper, coffee, ink toner, water bills, computer parts
    Professional fees such as laywers, consultants on various topics, surveys conducted and so on.
    You covered advertisements etc, but $1m is a drop in the ocean, I bet it is significantly more - WoW is advertised on a large number of gaming websites.
    Plenty more expenses that I haven't touched on, just look at the long version of any tax return and you'll get an idea for the sort of expenses there are.

TL;DR: Your math sucks.

Not that I think for a moment that WoW is going out of business, not by any stretch.
    Last edited by Tarien; 2013-11-09 at 03:48 PM.

You guys are grasping at the days and not seeing MMO's from birth. At first it was all text based, tended to gather authors because the story was driven by the players. The tech of the time could never support some of what you see today. You get this flush of games mapping every ghetto engine to some code until WOW showed up. You see it in the timeline, the first year for wow set the motion, you had a solid 2.5m to 4m jump that no other game outside moba has obtained. The games you play today are designed by the people playing the game from the past. Be it D&D, magic, MUD's, LARP. All these groups created motivation for what came next.

When I see 12.5 million drop to 7.6 million, it's not a hate for the current game that inspires joy, it's knowing a generation has matured and will birth the future of gaming.

Who's one dimensional now?

RIGHT NOW there is 7.6million subs playing just wow, maybe not active, but still paying monthly.

7.6mil * 15 = $114mil * 12 = $1,368,000,000 <--- thats how much they make annually.

It costs roughly $150k a day to keep the servers running and lets just say there is 30 days in every month.

They have about 5k employees and I am going to be generous and say everyone at blizz makes 5k a month (60k a year) with exceptions of the big guys.

Lets do some math again.
    $114,000,000
    - $35,500,000

This is also just WoW subs too, keep that in mind. Don't forget services (Name changes, xfers, ect), Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, BlizzCon, Blizzard Store, ect.

I would say they are rolling in a average of around $1.5billion a year in just profits.

Can someone please explain to me how they are "dying?" How they are going to have to go F2P soon or they will be doomed? Cause unless my math is wrong.... They are going to stay afloat for a while.

tl;dr
    Do math, bitch.
    Let start with you.

You're assuming so much kid.

Their operating budget can be found in their filing.

OMGOMG SOMEONE PROVING THEIR POINT SOMEWHAT!!!!! *as we do not know the real income* but i am sure this makes a great guesstamate.

anyways these tards have been saying wow has been dying for 10 years

i am a 04 player here and i started with wc2 and i think this next expansion is going to be the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lots of lore

also why do the kids cry we didn't kill garrosh? i think garrosh escaping to a alternate reality and then using that reality to attack us is very creative instead ok we kill him expansion done next insane guy is up!!!!!

also brings up old heroes that us true warcraft lovers have a spot for.

also the updated race models were needed and you get them regardless if you buy the expansion or not

garrisons look badass!!!!!

and the free 90 i think is needed because to many people hate grinding through no mans land to even play the game i saw someone saying it only takes a week to hit 90 and i laughed because that is with heirlooms and knowing everything and spending lots of time a casual would take a lot longer then 1 week and i think giving ONE and only ONE free 90 is a good approach.

plus it allows even some of us vet's to play the classes we couldn't bare to lvl
    *priest and rogue and deathknight as the rest i already have a 90* for me because i have lvled to many times i can't stand it so i can finally try a priest or maybe deathknight without going through the lvling process again from lvl 1

This times 1000000

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    While talking smack you forgot:

Taxes of various kinds (not sure what those might be as I'm not an American, but in the UK those would be VAT, NIC contributions, pensions contributions, etc). This will be huge by the way, at least 20% of the income probably more if the taxation rate is similar to the UK.
    Benefits, such as health, dental, pay related bonuses.
    Software costs, licences, server costs (not game related), website hosting, etc
    Overheads such as rent, energy bills, paper, coffee, ink toner, water bills, computer parts
    Professional fees such as laywers, consultants on various topics, surveys conducted and so on.
    You covered advertisements etc, but $1m is a drop in the ocean, I bet it is significantly more - WoW is advertised on a large number of gaming websites.
    Plenty more expenses that I haven't touched on, just look at the long version of any tax return and you'll get an idea for the sort of expenses there are.

TL;DR: Your math sucks.

Not that I think for a moment that WoW is going out of business, not by any stretch.
    Apparently your reading sucks. I said $5mil for advertisements and misc. which should cover 90% of that except for taxes. $5mil/mo is plenty enough for office supplies and coffee and wed sites. I did include the cost of servers. They have stated before that I costs roughly $150k a day to run the servers which I did the math on.

TL;DR

Should be TL;CR since you can't read.

But...math is HARD!
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Because kids hate Pandas.

Mature gamers dont care as far as the game is fun to play.

Deleted
    ^This. Could not be more accurate.

You do know that when you get a paycheck for 5k, your boss is paying anywhere from 7k to 10k, right? And your other numbers... Well, no source, you just pulled those out of your tophat.

I'm not saying they don't make a huge profit, or that they won't do perfectly fine with only 1M players, but your numbers and math are just as useless as any argument the 'kids' may have. Also, your attitude stinks.

I did include the cost of servers. They have stated before that I costs roughly $150k a day to run the servers which I did the math on.
    I was referring to their office servers, website servers, etc.

Should be TL;CR since you can't read.
    Indeed.

At least I'm calling people kids or bitches. So that's something.

Deleted
    Anyone who insists "Blizzard is screwed" isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree. Especially with all the complaining about Mythic. I think I need to take a few weeks break from forums because all the negativity is making me frustrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    You do know that when you get a paycheck for 5k, your boss is paying anywhere from 7k to 10k, right? And your other numbers... Well, no source, you just pulled those out of your tophat.

I'm not saying they don't make a huge profit, or that they won't do perfectly fine with only 1M players, but your numbers and math are just as useless as any argument the 'kids' may have. Also, your attitude stinks.
    I based my numbers off of one huge figure. A $15/mo subscription. That is unless you are paying a different price than I am?

As of 2012 they had 4,718 employees. I rounded up. The server costs is from blizzard. 2007 BlizzCon they talked about it. I will try and find the quote. They actually said it costs around $110k per day. I rounded up again. See the pattern?

Blizzard is doing fine, that's my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I was referring to their office servers, website servers, etc.

Indeed.

At least I'm calling people kids or bitches. So that's something.
    You are?

Lets do some math again.
    $114,000,000
    - $35,500,000

tl;dr
    Do math, bitch.
    Because they are KIDS and don't know any better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Totally agree. Especially with all the complaining about Mythic. I think I need to take a few weeks break from forums because all the negativity is making me frustrated.
    See, there are things I'm not happy about myself, like aspects of the story, but its one of these things where by, unless you pace and see whats going to happen, you don't really have anything to complain or bitch about. People said the same things about pandaren and pandaria, and they turned out to be a good expansion.. maybe not so much near the end (personal opinion), but pandaria itself, and the thunder king story was great.
    #boycottchina