Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Warlock Discussion with Senior Technical Game Designer Kris Zierhut.

So in another thread here http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...r-Kris-Zierhut the op sat down and talked to Kris Zierhut. He only mentioned one thing about warlocks but it seemed like a lot and if you have been playing your lock for a long time you will know we get gutted every expansion and it is basically like learning a new class every time. Well it seems like WoD will be no exception.

-He agrees that warlocks are too OP (Affliction specifically ) and their skill cap is WAY too high with dot snapshotting. He wants to rip up the warlock changes (with the basic idea intact - i.e. the different secondary resources) and rebuild the class.
    -DoT snapshotting removed.

Nothing I didn't already expect.

It has begun..

Aaand there goes my raid spot too! Warlocks will once again be the least played caster class

Seeing the shit storm raised about warlocks this expansion, I wont be surprised if we repeat another Cata.

With dot snapshotting removed, I just don't see how it's possible to play affliction without falling asleep before boss fight ends.
    Last edited by mystogunn; 2013-11-09 at 09:21 PM.

THey need to move on and revamp another class for fucks sake. Nerf locks because they definitely need it, and revamp rogues or shamans. God damn I'm so tired of the word warlock anymore.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    God damn I'm so tired of the word warlock anymore.
    This maaaaaaaay not be the forum for you.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2013-11-09 at 10:07 PM.

"He wants to rip up the warlock changes"

Every time warlock players "warlock have problems" > GC "no warloci is fine" > deleting all warlock changes

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    This maaaaaaaay not be the forum for you.
    Did you just edit your post to add 7 a's into may?

Deleted
    I totally expected as much, it has happened every expansion, Who needs a new class each expansion when we get scrapped and rebuild from the ground up every single time.

Good, here's to hoping the class becomes interesting once again. I have high hopes for this guy and his team, maybe they'll be able to integrate the new resource system without making it a complete shit-storm

Aff goes from highest skill cap spec to lowest skill cap spec with one change lol. Probably needed to happen though DoT snap shotting is what made Aff OP in the first place.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Did you just edit your post to add 7 a's into may?
    Hey....it sounded really snaaaaaaaarky!
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2013-11-09 at 10:48 PM. Reason: more a

Hey i've managed to put all my dots up! i'm the best warlock in the world! Worst change ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lock changes were one of the few things about MoP that I really, truly enjoyed. I came to love my Post 5.0 lock. I don't want it ripped apart and rebuilt.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Oh good. They want to streamline us even more to drive away the old locks and bring in even more people who can't even setup a gateway and pick the right demon for the right fight.

My hope is that they bring DoTs back into Destro and return more of the Wrath/Cata Mechanics. And make more stuff we can do with especially Embers and Emberbits.

More complexity please, but a bit more of a balanced output in DPS and survivability (but a removal of all those "costs HP" bs skills). Or they just remove Mana entirely and we only work off health and the new ressources. That'd be quite an interesting change.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaragoth View Post
    Oh good. They want to streamline us even more to drive away the old locks and bring in even more people who can't even setup a gateway and pick the right demon for the right fight.

My hope is that they bring DoTs back into Destro and return more of the Wrath/Cata Mechanics. And make more stuff we can do with especially Embers and Emberbits.

More complexity please, but a bit more of a balanced output in DPS and survivability (but a removal of all those "costs HP" bs skills). Or they just remove Mana entirely and we only work off health and the new ressources. That'd be quite an interesting change.
    I wish they'd keep dot snapshotting and remove mana, all the specs have resource bars already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Aff goes from highest skill cap spec to lowest skill cap spec with one change lol. Probably needed to happen though DoT snap shotting is what made Aff OP in the first place.
    Rubbish.
    We had dot snapshotting for years and warlocks weren't broken in any other expansion.

Dot snapshotting only becomes a problem when stat scaling and trinkets get dialed up to insane values, the item squish helps a lot, as would blizzard not being complete retards and adding a 100% crit for 4 seconds trinket.

That said, I'm happy with how much the guy hates the warlock changes, even if I think he's a monster for wanting to remove the only good thing affliction has left in the name of dumbing the spec down, we have destro or other classes for that. I hated the affliction revamp, so if he reverts that to something nicer I'm glad to hear.

Speaking as a Faillock myself, I'd be happy to not have DoT snapshotting. I felt like I was spending the entire fight watching DoT timers and Affdots, and that isn't much fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's tone down the snarky comments aimed at other players. If you can't discuss these possible changes and class ideas without attacking others then please don't participate in the discussion at all.

OT: HATE the dot snap shotting change. If they take it out, then a class rework might be necessary to ensure we stay interesting to play. I can't imagine they'll do a Mists like revamp though. They pretty much said as much in the preview panel at ine point that there wouldn't be major changes (though that might have been aimed purely at the talents part of classes).

In the end, we'll see what happens soon enough I suppose. There'll be more info coming out in the coming months, I'm sure.

i hope GoSac remain

10+ Year Old Account
    DoT Snapshotting being removed is something that will affect EVERY multi-dot class- SPriests, druids, warlocks, and to a lesser extend, mages, DKs, arms warriors, ect.

DoT Snapshotting helps to seperate GREAT players from GOOD players. It's not like its a 15% damage boost to properly DoT-snap, its more like a 5% damage boost. This change should NOT happen, at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.