Leveling as a holy paladin from expansion to expansion??

Hello guys!

I have always been in love with how holy paladins are played, and i love to play on my own aswel, and did a lot of content at the end of each expantion on my holy paladin as an alt.
    I am however considering levelling it the way to 90 and get ready to jump into the world of Draenor and get my paladin going.

But how do/did you guys work about this? My paladin is atm. level 85, and in full holy gear. But i'm fearing how i need to change into retribution, take gear as i level to 90, or is there some smart way?

How about when you transition in level 100 from leveling as a retribution paladin into a holy paladin and going heroics? It seems like a mess and there's a lot more gear farm required to get ready before you can heal dungeons?

TLR; How do you as a holy paladin level to 90(or 100) when you want to be healing in maxlevel anyways?

You can level as holy, but it goes quicker if you're ret or prot. So long as you play it smart though, you're pretty hard to kill and you have the ability to stay at range.

The Selfless Healer talent is pretty nice for questing and leveling, especially when combined with Holy Avenger and the Harsh Words and Holy Shock glyphs. I'd suppose one of our biggest weaknesses now is lack of AoE damage.

Also, in Warlords you don't have to farm an extra set just for holy. The gear you have as ret will switch to be intellect instead of strength when you switch to holy. Make sure to read the front page of MMO-C!
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Just go as a retribution and gather holy gear. (i should read the front page too! )

My main is holy paladin with a prot offspec, and i'm /crying to have retribution offspec, when I'm doing timeless isle weekly quest . Actually i can kill stuff faster as a holy (with all the buffs on isle), but imagine you pull ~10 mini turtles .... you are doomed!
    Last edited by franto; 2013-11-10 at 11:06 AM.

I leveled TBC-Wrath as a shockadin and it was... mildly successful, I managed to equal our guild's BM Hunter without having to do anything insane. But that said I wouldn't recommend doing it now with dual spec and how much better Ret is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    TLR; How do you as a holy paladin level to 90(or 100) when you want to be healing in maxlevel anyways?
    I just level as ret and then play as holy, no big deal really.

Looks like they're making the process easier in WoD with the new 30% extra damage talent. All they need to do is remove the extra hoops we jump through (HS and harsh words glyphs baked into the spec, WoG actually doing as much damage as it heals for under harsh words) and it will feel a lot nicer.

Of course, with gear switching to ret gear automatically there'll be even less reason to level as Holy. Some of us will still just prefer ranged. I hate melee and was hoping we'd have a viable ranged spec this expansion. Having the Holy gear go Ret is pretty decent though. Presumably you will still need to collect rings, neck, trinkets and weapons so better but not perfect.

Deleted
    Didn't they say that in WoD you won't need two separate sets of gear? Plate is just plate...once you change your spec your stat weights should change to be suited for your spec .... or is that rule only for level 100 gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Nillie View Post
    Didn't they say that in WoD you won't need two separate sets of gear? Plate is just plate...once you change your spec your stat weights should change to be suited for your spec .... or is that rule only for level 100 gear?
    Its only for armor class gear (plate/mail/leather/cloth) and they mentioned that it wouldn't be a full sweep necessarily, so it might not hit level 90s. That aside though, I imagine they'll implement it fully in 6.0 so that we can get used to the system before taking it on in the exp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I levelled as Holy in both TBC, WoTLK and Cata and it didn't take too long. However since they pretty changed our damage in MoP I decided to go with Retribution for levelling. It is much much faster.

You can, as already mentioned just go in your holy gear to begin with and then collect ret loot from quest to quest. Alternatively you can get a friend to fly you to Halfhill at level 85 and buy a green set of levelling gear (Ilvl 372). I did this for my Warlock since I deleted it before MoP and got it back without any gear and it works just fine :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    Looks like they're making the process easier in WoD with the new 30% extra damage talent..
    Don't think a lvl100 talent will help with leveling

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefang View Post
    Don't think a lvl100 talent will help with leveling
    Well not with leveling but I still shockadin dailies etc. You're only going to be leveling for a week. You'll be doing dailies or equivalent Timeless Isle etc for over a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've levelled as Holy every expansion, and MoP really was by far the worst. Before you could just pull 10 mobs and AoE them down with Consecrate, now you are forced to spam Denounce till your finger starts bleeding. Having said that it's more than doable, and I'll do it again in WoD. Hating Retribution with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I've levelled as Holy every expansion, and MoP really was by far the worst. Before you could just pull 10 mobs and AoE them down with Consecrate, now you are forced to spam Denounce till your finger starts bleeding. Having said that it's more than doable, and I'll do it again in WoD. Hating Retribution with a passion.
    Don't like prot either I'm guessing? They've got some nice AoE, which will likely continue in WoD. I agree though, holy could definitely stand to get some AoE back in its damage abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    Holyshock, denounce and stun them to keep them under control and don't forget your interrupt.

If you are on EU realms and you don't have a friend with a two person mount to take you to halfhill then you can add me Jennifer#2866 and I am happy to fly you there.