Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    people rolling a hybrid did so knowing they could full-fill multiple roles
    Ah, the "hybrid tax", you can do more than one thing, so clearly you should have a more difficult time doing the thing you choose to do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The benefit is that people will still and enjoy pure classes over hybrids. You still need to get the correct trinkets & Secondary stat itemizations for said spec.

For example. If Crit is the #1 secondary for boomkinin WoD, but is god awful for feral and you got a bunch of gear itemized for crit your feral is going to be weaker. Yes it's not nearly as drastic as having to build two whole sets, though there's still going to be those certain off pieces & Trinkets you need for multiple specs. Not to mention weapons/shields etc.

Though if you do have all that then yes I can see the advantage to it. Though like I said. Everyone isn't going to suddenly stop playing Hunters, Mages, Rogues & Warlocks . They're going to be solid classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    I've got a counter question, why don't all pure DPS roll hybrid currently?

They can currently grab off-sets semi-easily. Then switch specs and do just fine. This is taking a step out and clearing up bag space. It's not suddenly going to make all hybrids over popular because gear is a little easier to acquire. It'll be the same as it is today.

Do all pure DPS not do great damage? Are they currently undesired at all? Answer is no. It'll stay that way in the expansion. It's a minor gate, a QoL change nothing more. Not going to suddenly shoot the hybrids DPS off the charts, not going to add any more desirability to hybrids that aren't currently there.
    The reason not everyone plays hybrids now, is because there is a gateway (which, you brush off as semi-easy). Sure, you can play two specs, but you have to collect (or re-enchant, re-reforge, and re-gem) an off-set of gear. It's called a cost for a benefit. It's there for a reason, you know, balance?
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

Quote Originally Posted by jishdefish View Post
    The reason not everyone plays hybrids now, is because there is a gateway. Sure, you can play two specs, but you have to collect (or re-enchant, re-reforge, and re-gem) an off-set of gear. It's called a cost for a benefit. It's there for a reason, you know, balance?
    Hybrids will still have to collect and maintain a trinket, a second trinket, a ring, a second ring, a cloak, a neck, and a weapon and offhand in WoD. That's 7 pieces they still need to have in order to swap spec or role at will. There is still a "gateway." It is just smaller.

I don't really see the problem here, aren't people just having a role as healer, tank or dps in a raidguild?
    I really don't think anyone is going to bench pure classes just so the raid can switch around all the time.
    People just prefer a role they are good at and will keep doing that.

It's actually great for guilds, what if theres a fight in which you need less or more healers? just let a player switch from dps spec and go.
    what if one of your tanks just couldn't make it to the raid one night? just let a dps switch and gearwise he's not even behind.
    Got in a random BG and your team has no healers? just switch and help your team win.

It's not like everyone will change roles every raidnight but if it happens at all it will be confined to just a few people.
    As long as pure classes are doing good DPS there's no reason not to bring them.

Do you really see a raiding guild dumping its pures because they MIGHT need another tank or healer one day?

Just because they're making it less miserable for a holy paladin to do some dailies doesn't mean pures are now second class citizens.

Deleted
    I heard that if a guild runs the new raid with 20 druids Blizzard will remove all pure classes from the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Hybrids will still have to collect and maintain a trinket, a second trinket, a ring, a second ring, a cloak, a neck, and a weapon and offhand in WoD. That's 7 pieces they still need to have in order to swap spec or role at will. There is still a "gateway." It is just smaller.
    Exactly this. The only thing this does is make it so hybrids can gain benefit of tier bonuses by just switching specs (something currently only possible with pure DPS). They will still need the off pieces, and perhaps even the tier pieces (if the secondaries aren't top-notch for that spec). So while I said it makes it easier/gets rid of a step, I should have said it lets hybrids do the thing they were designed to be able to do, easier (not min-maxed, but capable of filling the other role).
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Deleted
    You still weapon, trinkets, cloak and jewelry for your offspec to function. You only the 8 pieces of classic sets with this treatment. And you will probably have them enchanted/gemmed (what can be so) to fit your main spec. Also, you will have tried to get your mainspec secondary stats, which may not be fit your offspec. It's just a help, it's not an automatic full set for all your specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know when everyone got the idea that a class that can only dps should be better at dps than anything else. They should all do the same dps with the same gear.
    Just because you're a rogue or warlock doesnt mean you should do better dps than a moonkin.

That BS should have gone out the window when everyone got heals. You want your warlock to do more damage? Try to live without using it's heals, there you go, one extra global cd for damage.

Maybe, pure DPS classes are getting a new non-dps spec

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Not really, Mages have 3 completely different stat requirements for their 3 specs.
    Walrocks too, but it is how you priorice the stats like haste, critical and mastery

As I am understanding, the stat that are going to change are the primary stat like intelect, strenght etc

The benefit is that pure dps classes don't have to worry that hybrids will ninja their gear for OS, because it is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ace777 View Post
    So the most disadvantaged classes are warlock and mages
    why? if a would-be healer piece drops, a warlock can now have it as a dps piece.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

The new gear system in which the primary stats change to the spec meaning that all hybrid classes can only need one set of gear for all of their specs, This may mean that it is more beneficial for raiders to go play hybrids of over pure classes. Hybrids do similar damage to pure classes with the addition of extra utility and healing.

Personally with this change I would be better off playing a class like druid over my main Warlock since I can change specs depending on the fight I can be moonkin if the boss favors ranged dps and feral if it favors melee dps. I can also have the option of switching between resto/gaurdian if any of our healers cant attend the raid.

What is the benefit of this system for pure dps classes ?
    are there still "oh , hybrids are so powerful they're making us pures obsolete" people still around? i thought everyone played enough classses to at least have 1 hybrid and 1 pure in their repertoire. If not who cares, stop looking at everything as if it's some attack on pures, you shoudln't have that mentality of pure vs hybrid, - the game really caters for horde v alliance , but hey, whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    For example what can a mage bring to raid that is better than what a moonkin brings, besides buffs. Moonkins have off healing, symbiosis, and tranquility. With the new gear system that will come in the next expansion Moonkins will also be able to switch into other roles too
    Off heals and tank are nice to a point, but raids are designed to be a DPS check on almost every fight now. You need people to focus solely on DPS or you'll hit enrage. By the time this isn't the case, the boss will be on farm and the utility won't really matter.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

The benefit of being a pure is that you'll never be asked to tank or heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have been raiding since the start of the patch, some people in my guild already have the 4 set on 2 specs not including flex or lfr, besides they mentioned that the tier set bonuses will be affected when respecing too since intellect plate gear is removed from the game.

We are below Hybrids :/

- - - Updated - - -

So the most disadvantaged classes are warlock and mages
    int plate is staying in the game, when gear drops it won't have int/str/agi on it at all, but as soon as you loot it, the stat fitting your spec will be placed on it.

But......why does a pure class need their primary stat to ever change? They always want the same primary stat no matter what spec they are...

Pures have consistently had the highest dps, and in the case of this expansion with warlocks - some of the best utility and highest survivability, too.

There's your advantage (that shouldn't exist). Pures advantage should be the ability to (over the class) be strong on all fights, whereas a hybrids single/two dps specs may not be fantastic on one. The problem with the current system is we usually have 1 of each pure spec top 5 for 90% of fights, rather than a nice split across pure specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Honestly. This is what... WoW's FIFTH expansion. Tbh, everyone else that mains a "hybrid" (lol -this term died back in late BC), that has had to upkeep 2-3 sets of gear if they wanted a full class experience, is really goddamn sick and tired of playing the game two to three times as hard to maintain gear. It's honestly about time this change happened.

Issues with the OP:
    In terms of this "advantage" you really only have the advantage of versatility, and its to a point.
    Jewelry and trinkets do not change spec to spec- primary specialization will remain a priority when gearing, after that, more power to you to 'diversify'. (Ironically enough, I'm to the point of caring so little about my resto gear that all I save are spirit jewelry, trinks and maybe some spirit armor... so this change is already what I do lol. Resto is so far from optimal, I don't even play it!)
    There are only a handful of players that have thoroughly mastered multi-role classes. To assume that I can play enhance as well as ele would be an overstatement.
    Melee dps is a different beast than ranged or healing or tanking. "Pures" have the advantage of staying within the role they are most accustomed to.
    When will / has any range ever been trumped by "hybrid" melee dps?

The bottom line is if you feel that you bring more doing the multiple role thing more power to you. I'm just reminding you that you're going to have a bad time if you strive to optimize around two roles, unless you're geared, -at which point it doesn't even matter. What you gain in versatility has never translated into an advantage outside of versatility. With this system it remains the same, with the addition of a MUCH needed quality of life change for my bag space. I'm thrilled that I can feel like playing enhance or resto every now and then may not hurt, or let someone else have a chance at dps on X boss.

Its all about what is most fun for you.