Poll: What do you think about the new Gnome model for female and male?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    So far do I just love them! Can't wait to see all options and such, going to be awesome to see my gnomes with this models!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Ok. So the root of my question is do the additional bones require more resources and if so to what extent? I assumed that bones were a new rendering mechanic.
    It really doesn't require that many resources for the user. The change is so insignificant that you'll never notice. Hell, if they streamlined their rendering, then it'll probably be the same.

I don't have much of an issue with pandarens in my raid however since they started doing the realm mergers something in the code is crashing my computer. It defiantly seems to have something to do with getting in an instance with people from a merged server but having a hard time tracking down exactly what. Started happening the day they merged the first set of servers.
    I don't know what to tell you about that. I have a pretty sweet rig and my comp chugs every other time I cross a zone border since WW merged with Dentarg. Blizzard's cross realm implementation is terrible.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

This is going to take machinima to a whole new level. It would be awesome if you could control the bones and facial expressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    I don't know what to tell you about that. I have a pretty sweet rig and my comp chugs every other time I cross a zone border since WW merged with Dentarg. Blizzard's cross realm implementation is terrible.
    I have "chuged" and lost around an 8th of my health crossing any zone since they enacted CRZ and all the bogusness that entails.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    I'm pretty much in the same boat right here. Ever since Cross Realm zones I either chug or get dismounted while crossing borders.

Also, your signature is hilarious.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

10+ Year Old Account
    just remove those little creeps from the game already, no ammount of work pumped into them will make it good...

Deleted
    The male hair still looks awful, hopefully they'll improve the textures and poly count on them before release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelkath View Post
    I'm pretty much in the same boat right here. Ever since Cross Realm zones I either chug or get dismounted while crossing borders.

Also, your signature is hilarious.
    I am running an amd i5 equivalent with 8 gig of ram and an above mid range geoforce video card with 4 gig on it. I had zero problems with freeze frames and computer crashes until they started connecting servers. Now I can expect to have my screen freeze with the sound continuing and no way to tab out at least twice a day. It does not post a wow crash to the file but requires me to hard boot my computer to have access to it again.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I think they nailed the gnome and dwarf models.

Orcs do seem to be a WIP still, like Tauren and Forsaken, but near completion.

Can't wait to see how more fabulous I'll be when they release the belves new models.

ps.: I soiled myself when I saw the female gnome twerking.

Those are cartoons, not 3D models. The reason a lot of cartoons have 4 fingers is because it's easier to animate. Gnomes have 4 fingers because of some mutation or something.
    gnomes come from the mechagnomes, and mechagnomes have 3 fingers on each hand.

so they actually grew an extra-finger via curse of flesh lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

The facial expression on the male is amazing, and his hair, and eyes, it captures the very soul and spirit of the Gnome!
    IDK abt you, but based on this picture alone, I think the new female gnome model looks like a very attractive BJ giving machine, yes?

I like new gnome model because ^.

Ehh...kinda. Shouldn't have that much of an impact. The thing you should be concerned about is the polygon count.
    This pretty much, extra bones don't have such a big impact but more polygons do.
    The bones are there to allow the animator to move bodyparts like a real body would.
    They are drawn between joints which are placed at the same locations joints occur in a real body (there are less in the back but that's because not all that detail is needed plus in CG you can twist joints further than a human can)

the vertices (Each polygon is made up of 3 or 4 vertices, see them as the cornerpoints of a triangle or quad in which the polygon (the triangle or quad's shape) is drawn) are attached with a certain influence value to each of the joints so that when the animator rotates the shoulder joint the polygons on the arm follow the bones in the arm and some of the polygons on the deltoid and armpit slightly stretch or squash to make it look better.
    When rigging and skinning a character this stretching is the most important thing you must get right.
    each vertex can be influenced by multiple bones to a total value of 1, with a value of 1 it 100% follows a bone, with a value of 0.3 it follows the bone for 30% the other 60% comes from a second bone that is attached to that vertex

Now polycount is besides adding more smoothness and geometrical detail to the model also important to determine how smooth something can be animated, With more polygons the stretching is spread more evenly among each of them.
    In a low polycount model you would see strange things happen like vertices collapsing or spiking out of the body also the textures would be visibly all stretched out.
    This is why they can now have more bones in the more detailed (higher polycount) models, the face especially is now suited to making all kinds of expressions that would previously just looked bad because of the low polycount.

I know it has become quite a technical story but I hope you understand it a bit now.
    Last edited by Magruun; 2013-11-10 at 04:37 PM.

I have "chuged" and lost around an 8th of my health crossing any zone since they enacted CRZ and all the bogusness that entails.
    It seems like something to do with paladins. Each time I cross into a new zone, after that first 1 second freeze, my paladin loses 5-15% of his health (I think is closer to 15%). Every other class I have played does not have this problem, even my protection warrior (paladin is protection) or brewmaster monk. And I agree, the CRZ implementation is shit if I gotta wait 1 second for my game to continue, and another 1-2 seconds for npcs to show up if I am on a flight path. Actual server merges instead of CRZ/connected realms would have been better.

Deleted
    By the way: I can imagine using something like T1 (or similar old stuff) etc. will look kinda funny on the new models.

10+ Year Old Account
    i LOVED the fem gnome, i might even faction change to Alliance after that, because i'll not kill any single gnome as Horde anymore now >.<'

10+ Year Old Account
    They are amazing, and that's coming from me - a person that has never liked the gnomes. I might have to make one myself !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    they kinda nailed it for gnomes and dwarves

though can't speak for orcs, they look a bit derpy
    And still have their hunchback.

A few weeks back, I hoped that the new Gnome models would resemble Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson.

I was not disappointed.

Deleted
    Don't like female at all. It looks like a cartoon, not serious at all. I hope the other face options look nothing like this one. Male looks ok I guess.

Honestly I'm not too crazy about the whole new models thing at all. Mostly because I don't want the defining facial features to change, which seems pretty much inevitable. I will want my characters to look just as pretty/awesome as they currently do.