Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No more dodge in Warlords of Draenor?

Out of all tank classes this affects druids the most doesn't it?

Does anyone have any info involving a replacement or are they just betting we'll survive through self-heals/bubbles (talent, very happy about for certain fights where healing is hindered) and armor?

I'm hoping they explain this in more detail. I am very skeptical on the removal of avoidance stats. Not only does it sounds like tanks would be squishier, but it sounds boring as hell to ONLY stack mastery.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Deleted
    I highly doubt they will remove dodge as a mechanic, just as a stat on gear right? You'll still have active defense skills giving 30% for x seconds.

Didn't they say "Armor is the new(old) tank stat"

Quote Originally Posted by Styx1992 View Post
    Didn't they say "Armor is the new(old) tank stat"
    "Who's the tank? The guy over there dodging shit like crazy?"
    "Nah, it's that dude over there with the armor so bulky he can barely move."

Well, there will still be dodge, just not a gear stat you have to reach caps for, etc.

One example they said is they might make it so an ability triggers higher dodge.
    Armor will indeed be higher on tank gear again as well.

They also mentioned how well players have been adapting to using active mitigation, so they're liking those options.

I get the feeling they're going for more differing and active things to work onto gear, similar to how EQNext is going for less +stats and more +decisions/customization of abilities type things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xein View Post

Does anyone have any info involving a replacement or are they just betting we'll survive through self-heals/bubbles (talent, very happy about for certain fights where healing is hindered) and armor?
    They only removed it as a stat on your gear. Behind the scene you'll still dodge but it'll come from other stuff like Agi or the new Avoidance stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    They should bring back Defense rating imo. Tanks in Wrath felt a lot more like tanks than the ones we have today. Todays tanks feel squishy no matter what gear they are in they take immense damage compared to wrath.
    It's funny you say this, because Ulduar is where I quit tanking because getting slapped for 50% of my health bar every melee swing was distinctly un-fun (yes, I was in Naxx gear).
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    It's funny you say this, because Ulduar is where I quit tanking because getting slapped for 50% of my health bar every melee swing was distinctly un-fun (yes, I was in Naxx gear).
    Was thinking this. Because dodge and parry makes you take NO damage whereas Defense rating makes you take reduced damage...which means you're still gonna get hit pretty damn hard if the boss throws something heavy at you.

I am very skeptical on the removal of avoidance stats.... ...sounds like tanks would be squishier
    I'll never understand why people jump to conclusions like this. I forget what it was in previous xpacs but it was the same concept, "oh god they're removing ____" and some people just assume they're going to remove it and pretend like thats that, no they're not going to put something or some system in its place, they're just removing all avoidance from tanks, tanks will get hit all the time now thats it.

They shifted all tanks to an active mitigation system, this will allow them to make that system even more rewarding to good play, if your avoidance comes entirely from proper timing / usage of abilities they can make a good tank a great tank. 95% of reforging for any player doing content that mattered was going to a website or forum and asking it what to reforge to. The only place it really made a difference was avoiding going over hit/expertise caps and wasting 'stats' but hit/expertise are going away, thus the biggest 'need' for reforging is gone.

Deleted

Learn to read, they are removing the stats dodge AND parry. But they will not remove the chance that your character will dodge or parry an attack. If anything, dodge part of agility and parry part of strength will remain.

Defense rating was removed in Cataclyms btw. and was only needed for your to get your crit immune cap, nothing else.

There will still be dodge and parry, just no more dodge and parry stats on gear. It's likely that stats such as haste/crit/mastery will provide dodge, and im pretty sure savage defense will keep providing dodge.

Agi/Str Will still provide dodge and parry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill be honest...does any tank using any of the tank stats anymore anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Affectionate View Post
    I'll never understand why people jump to conclusions like this. I forget what it was in previous xpacs but it was the same concept, "oh god they're removing ____" and some people just assume they're going to remove it and pretend like thats that, no they're not going to put something or some system in its place, they're just removing all avoidance from tanks, tanks will get hit all the time now thats it.

They shifted all tanks to an active mitigation system, this will allow them to make that system even more rewarding to good play, if your avoidance comes entirely from proper timing / usage of abilities they can make a good tank a great tank. 95% of reforging for any player doing content that mattered was going to a website or forum and asking it what to reforge to. The only place it really made a difference was avoiding going over hit/expertise caps and wasting 'stats' but hit/expertise are going away, thus the biggest 'need' for reforging is gone.
    You make a good point. Might make tanking a bit more enjoyable instead of standing there like a damage sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelkath View Post
    Was thinking this. Because dodge and parry makes you take NO damage whereas Defense rating makes you take reduced damage...which means you're still gonna get hit pretty damn hard if the boss throws something heavy at you.
    Defense never did that. It reduced your chance to be crit and gave you a little bit of parry and dodge, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Defense never did that. It reduced your chance to be crit and gave you a little bit of parry and dodge, that's it.
    My apologies. Was thinking about Armor rating. I never got to tank that much in wrath because I was still a noob back then lol.

Well, armor still does that, and bonus armor as an item stat is even being re-introduced.

Probably has the least impact on the agility based tanks since neither prefers to use avoidance gems/enchants/gear/reforges. Sucks for the Warriors and DKs since Riposte will be made pointless.

Id say it's a good thing. I don't play WoW currently but I may come back (as I usually do at the start of an xpac) but I did used to tank and got through Normal modes through SoO. The one really annoying thing I always found was the start of the next raid was just annoying. I gained barely anymore avoidance for it to make a difference (say, 25% to 28%) and it still was me using active mitigations for major boss mechanics.

Making people use their abilities (like H Paladins with their Bulwark, DK's using their shields correctly, etc etc) is what made tanking fun. Not me going "LOL AVOIDANCE CAP" in Cata.

crushing blows called, wanted to know if blizz needed them again.......