Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No, but epic equivalent gear is much easier obtained in WoW these days than it is in Guild Wars 2. For example just LFR and Timeless Isle can get you fairly quckly clad in epics, while it will take awhile to do the same in Guild Wars 2 with karma, or dungeon sets.

I bought GW2 a few days after the launch. I've played it for about 2 weeks and after that I had enough of it, while I know other people whom still play it. Personally I think it isn't worth it, but evetually it's all up to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    It's absolutely worth it, it's a good game and even if it's not populated you can have a lot of fun.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    Well worth investing in GW2, one of my all time favorite MMOs after Ultima and WOW.

Deleted
    Personally, I think GW2 is perfect for me and many other people who are seeking the same in a game like this: It's casual and it's ok to take a break for months without getting too far behind. Which is nice because sometimes I can't be online for several days.

I hope you enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    You will be disapointed. The gear grind is not mandatory, but is present at the end game. It makes WoW look casual in comparison.
    Hm. This couldn't possibly true. It's not actually. Because such a scenario does not exist within Guild Wars 2.

The quoted statement is either a misunderstanding or faulty language in describing game design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah worth it cuz only costs 60$

You ll have fun leveling and WvW. But dont exept beeing a snowflake in this game as there is no vertical progression and social hierarchy.

Once you hit 80 you ll feel the boredom soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Yeah worth it cuz only costs 60$

You ll have fun leveling and WvW. But dont exept beeing a snowflake in this game as there is no vertical progression and social hierarchy.

Once you hit 80 you ll feel the boredom soon enough.
    Some would say those are features, not limitations. There's plenty of ways to customize your char's appearance, if you want to stand out. Having better gear only goes so far, especially in PvE. As has been noted before, there is no 'endgame'. Everything you did while levelling you do at cap, just with more options.

Again, if you're expecting a gear treadmill and raiding content, this is NOT the game to play. WoW and its imitators are the mainstay for that style of game.

vertical progression is not the place to go to for being a unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    No, but epic equivalent gear is much easier obtained in WoW these days than it is in Guild Wars 2. For example just LFR and Timeless Isle can get you fairly quckly clad in epics, while it will take awhile to do the same in Guild Wars 2 with karma, or dungeon sets.
    Ways to get Exotic Gear at level 80:
    Temple gear for karma
    Crafting
    Buy off Trading Post
    Run dungeons
    WvWvW Badges of Honor

Random elements:
    Big Events
    Mystic Forge
    Zone completion
    Champion Farming

Honestly, you should get enough karma for a couple pieces, enough badges via achievement chests for a couple more, that you'll just have to spend a couple gold on the TP to be set.

That doesn't include Ascended weaponry, or when added, ascended armor, nor does it include a Legendary, but the comparison is to LFR/Timeless Epics, not Heroic Raid gear or anything, so I'd say it's comparable for the most part.

I've been considering getting this as well recently and trying to sway the wife into wanting to try it.

From the screens, it appears to look beautiful, and as a fellow FFXIV ARR player, that is something that stands out in that game and made some others look less enticing than they used to (for me, atmosphere/immersion is important for I too have changed my pace and approach to the genre and gaming in general).

What I like about it; is the B2P aspect. Pay once and done. I'd love to know the next time a sale is up

Thank you for making the thread, it helps me as well

10+ Year Old Account
    1 of the most boring MMOs with mundane grinding and a plethora of RNG, a couple people on the balance team that ignore everything. so if that's your cup of tea.

By far the best mmo I have ever played. The game is simply beautiful and the combat system is really fun. Content patches every 2 weeks makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    1 of the most boring MMOs with mundane grinding and a plethora of RNG, a couple people on the balance team that ignore everything. so if that's your cup of tea.
    And yet these complaints are commonly made of most MMOs, if not all of them. I think of the old PvP balance adage, 'I'm Paper, Nerf Scissors, Rock Is Fine'.

Deleted
    As you see there this side

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    and this side

Quote Originally Posted by Velainz View Post
    By far the best mmo I have ever played. The game is simply beautiful and the combat system is really fun. Content patches every 2 weeks makes it even better.
    but knowing the average forum poster is rarely if ever objective here is a "fuller" view.

The good
    60 euros are totally worth it for what you are getting. Lots of environmental eye candy (especially if you like dark themed or snowy areas), plenty of PvE encounters, nice fighting mechanics, loads of approaches to what you wish to accomplish accommodating your "flavor of the day" needs and many, many other things. Just don't go by the book. The differences are so marginal between accomplishing something people avoid and the most mainstream activity, that it is not worth to repeat content or follow/act/play a certain way just because an ass says it's "more efficient and better and bla-bla-bla". You are not playing to compete with the average Steve. You want competitions?! Obtain a real skill!

The structured PvP side is definitely not as bad as people want to describe and having at least 7 years of experience in both forums and mmos, I know that those who complain, do so because they fail to dominate or because they have that "guy" who is "awesome" and "knows stuff" and happens to say the game is bs... In either case it's their fault. Maybe they should drop some ego...
    I ve killed the shit out of stun-lock warriors with my medi-guardian and berz-rifle engi a couple weeks back, when they were the flavor of the month and people stormed the forums saying how OP they are. Just understand that every build has a list of builds it can counter, a second one of builds it's on par with, and a third with all the builds you should run in the opposite like a girl if you encounter. Nothing is meant to dominate unless it is to do so in the role it fulfills. And even that is debatable, when "skill" enters the equation

In regards to the WvWvW, I personally avoid it but if you like pvping in masses, this ought to be your thing. You 'll hear many go "it's zergy and shit" and other stuff but how can a 300 vs 300 fight, where every player is on par with the next, not be?! That is exactly the point of WvW. Denying its nature and then complain about it is like eating spaghetti cause you like carbs, knowing you ll get carbs, expecting to get protein instead and then go to all forums and say how bs spaghetti is for giving carbs.

The bad
    There are still stuff you can't avoid. Namely, some grind, content repetition and a community as shitty as WoW's but on a different manner.
    The gem prices are awful which makes the "buy to enjoy" method a big no no. If you like a sword for example that costs about 50g (to give you a perspective the extremely rare ones go for hundreds to thousands of gold) it will cost you about 15 euros. This means that unless you work solely to play games you ll have to invest time in grinding cause there's definitely going to be "that set" or "that weapon" you 'll want for you class....

Which brings me to the RNG and diminishing returns type of bs. The first is strict enough to make the biggest gambling addict on earth happy for a day. I ve been playing for 14 months now and I 've never seen anything remotely rare and expensive drop. The d.r. thing on the other hand makes any effort of farming less worthy than the next Madonna's album. I have 9 characters all 80 at the moment and I just can't gear them up in a reasonable time frame. I understand they want bad behavior such as gold selling and botting to wave off naturally but it's really a killer for the rest of us.

The economy is also in a bad state. Anything you can craft is going to cost you more than you are going to sell it. There is overabundance of items no one needs and the "flippers" as well as those who manipulate the markets in other ways, make for an economy so terrible you either have to invest lots of hours on harvesting materials or on studying "how to be a banker 101". It's like living in Uganda, or a 50 years younger China.

As for the "boredom" people complain about, I know that to an extent it's true. Just because there is new content every week doesn't mean it's worth doing. SAB was great when first released, but the second iteration had so long stages you literally had to spend 2 hours on jump puzzling for 1 level. Dying in 3 hits by mobs, with no worthy rewards at the end and the need of gold being so heavy, you just won't spend time in there.
    Scarlet's invasions, Halloween (2013) and the current patch share ridiculously many activities. E.g. "a point of interest spawns in the map, mobs spawn on that place and the event starts." Just go there and kill them. Really... That's all the depth there is to it. And I know some will bother speaking of the minor differences but for real - for real, they are just minor. Accept it.

Last but not least the community..! I talked about it in a thread about guilds, and I ll repeat it here. Arrogant bastards, miserable old men who don't want to go home, couples that want to play only together, mothers who spent more time gaming than watching over their kids, feminazzis, and people who have been so out of sync with the concept of socialization or are so uninteresting, you just can't hold a conversation with. -Unless that's just Piken Square-. If you find someone who's nice to you and wants to talk, chances are he's new in the game. Pay special care, being politically correct in your words when around these sorry sods.

General notes
    There are still some activities you can participate in, out of the mainstream content. Southsun survival (inspired by hunger games) is still around and so is a racing game (can't recall the name) which can bring a brighter color to your gaming day and to be honest... They are nice activities. Stuff you just won't see in other MMOs.

Edit: This is also a game where you can flip the finger to most kinds of discrimination - it's natural, it's occurring, it's everywhere so don't try be politically correct with me -. I just finished a dungeon run full of Elementalists just for the sake of pissing off all the insta-join group warriors and guardians.
    Made it just as quick as the average "speedrun" party, and the rest of the team played just "average". They didn't even use their elites....
    Last edited by mmoc05267c7c71; 2013-11-12 at 05:40 PM.

GW2 is a fun game. There are people who hate it and others who love it. Try the game out and see how you like it. If you don't want to spend $60, maybe try asking a friend to play on their account or wait for Arenanet to release another trial weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    I've been considering getting this as well recently and trying to sway the wife into wanting to try it.

From the screens, it appears to look beautiful, and as a fellow FFXIV ARR player, that is something that stands out in that game and made some others look less enticing than they used to (for me, atmosphere/immersion is important for I too have changed my pace and approach to the genre and gaming in general).

What I like about it; is the B2P aspect. Pay once and done. I'd love to know the next time a sale is up

Thank you for making the thread, it helps me as well
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store

$30 there

Only for today

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store

$30 there

Only for today
    Came here to post this lol.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Came here to post this lol.
    Welp...I created a thread because I felt it needed something more obvious, but if a mod feels this thread is appropriate enough, please feel free to delete or close my thread. It was only there to be visible and helpful.
    BAD WOLF

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by j0053 View Post
    I bought Guild Wars 2 and put it down after a few weeks. It's a graphically beautiful game with some decent features that sound great on paper, but seem to be lacking whilst actually playing.

For example, the movement is a bit clunky. Honestly, I feel liek no other MMO aside from WoW has been able to capture the same seamless movement and directional change of character as WoW has. Is it really that hard to have fluid movement?

The second thing is that there is no raiding. Sure, sounds good on paper, but once you hit the endgame you realize there is nothing different at 80 than there was at 20.

The world bosses are really cool looking and once again beautifully designed, but the encounters themselves are pretty faceroll and you get used to them fast.

The world v world is nice until you realize its one big aoe fest and you need a quad sli system to run it properly.

The questing system is another one of those things that sounds good until you realize once again it's just a massive grind with no real direction or story.

These are just my opinions on it. Others will disagree.

Caveat: These were my experiences a year ago. Maybe the game changed since then.

Edit: One of my biggest rules of thumb when examining a new game, especially an MMO, is to see whether or not it has turned into an e-sport. That typically indicates that there is a great deal of passion surrounding the game, so much that people are willing to pay to watch it and play to in money for it. Also, it usually means the game is generally entertaining enough to keep you behind the screen for hours wanting to improve. WoW, Dota 2, LoL, SC2, BF, CoD, etc. all have legitimate e-sports elements and are all solid titles. I don;t think GW2 has a competitive e-sports scene but I could be wrong.
    It has not changed. All of your points are valid ones for those interested in long term investments of time , devoted to GW2. It is a good game to buy, play to max level and enjoy the exploring of a great designed game world. The best there is in my opinion. But it lacks holding power for many because of the facts you mentioned. However, well worth the purchase price.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2013-11-19 at 04:48 PM.