Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    And yet these complaints are commonly made of most MMOs, if not all of them. I think of the old PvP balance adage, 'I'm Paper, Nerf Scissors, Rock Is Fine'.
    No, most seasoned MMO players would agree that Anet has 2 interns working from a garage in charge of balancing the game. It is a big part of what drove the hardcore community away from the game. They launched the game and just waited to see what sticks, for 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    No, most seasoned MMO players would agree that Anet has 2 interns working from a garage in charge of balancing the game. It is a big part of what drove the hardcore community away from the game. They launched the game and just waited to see what sticks, for 2 months.
    And yet that's what many complaints about PvP balance boil down to: 'I'm Paper, Nerf Scissors, Rock Is Fine.' Some don't, it's true, but IME more often than not it's about having a harder time versus x and wanting it nerfed while the ability to steamroller y is seen as a non-issue. I would argue more people care about winning than a challenge in battling others.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet that's what many complaints about PvP balance boil down to: 'I'm Paper, Nerf Scissors, Rock Is Fine.' Some don't, it's true, but IME more often than not it's about having a harder time versus x and wanting it nerfed while the ability to steamroller y is seen as a non-issue. I would argue more people care about winning than a challenge in battling others.
    Most? Dig through the first ~3 pages of topics in SPvP forum: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp
    Very few are related to class balance, most are related to a very broad range of things. It's a known fact that ANet has massively neglected the PvP side of the game and community, while PvE gets boatloads of regular content, rewards and incentives. Class balance is only a fraction of the list of problems with GW2 PvP.
    Just to name a few things: People are frustrated that investing massive time and effort in PvP has almost nothing to show for it while doing the same in PvE would see them ROLLING in gold/gems and endless item skins. Conquest is still the only freaking mode available, matchmaking was terrible for over 1 year, there is still no reporting/system to deal with AFK'ers, someone on the dev team thought releasing Skyhammer for ranked matches was actually a good idea, etc etc.
    Actually that's the advanced stuff, it's quite difficult for newbies to even get INTO PvP with the terrible tutorial, nonsensical default/stater builds and very little guidance overall. Typically a player will spend the first several hours trying to figure out WTF is going on, where to go and what to do.

The PvP side of the game is unfinished, that's all I can say. Class balance issues are fine n' dandy (played through ~5 years of WoW's 2v2/3v3 balancing mess) but the overall foundations of GW2 PvP is lacking. It ultimately works for competition purposes, you can get some very interesting matches happening with set teams. But it could be a LOT better, unfortunately it's easy to see 95% of ANet's resources and development goes into PvE.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-11-19 at 08:09 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Its worth the money, the leveling was the most fun I've had in a MMO in a really long time, with their dynamic quests where some lead up to killing a big boss.. but the dungeons apart from fractals was really, really boring.
    Everyone just spamming their damage abilities, move out of AE damage and run in if you die, that got boring quite fast since I prefer the "holy trinity" with healer, tank and dps if you remove that it becomes just one huge cluster f*ck to me.

And as soon as I hit 80 I stopped getting that feeling of progression, sure your gear will look nicer, but your damage will be the same.

The only thing that kept me playing for so long was WvWvW but even there it started to get boring when everyone started doing zergs.

So to sum it up, the reason why I quit was because I didnt feel like I was progressing through the game as I played, sure I got better at my class, but my damage and health stayed the same.
    Dungeons are one big mess where theres no real role system, everyone just spam their dps abilities.
    WvWvW is where the game gets fun, where you have to play together as a team.

How do people convince themselves that +1 is progression when you have such things as item squish? That's always perplexed me.

And there again, if you like trinity roles and gear treadmilling, this isn't the game for you. WoW and its siblings are the mainstay of that playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet these complaints are commonly made of most MMOs, if not all of them. I think of the old PvP balance adage, 'I'm Paper, Nerf Scissors, Rock Is Fine'.
    And yet unless you're ignorant as hell you know these complaints to be 100% fact other than me finding it boring which is just an opinion.

Sure you can find these complaints in any MMO but I've personally never seen such balance atrocities or the straight up ignorance ANet shows towards its players.

I invite you to spend 5 minutes on the official forums for GW2 compared to WoW and you'll see my point. WoW has retarded ass complaints that no one cares about, and GW2 has complaints about real issues all of which are ignored.

Examples: massive grind and ANet just adds more, this is constantly cried about.

I haven't seen one thread actually asking for more ascended grind.

Complaints about living story being plain and grindy, no action taken. Every single update is just an achievement grind with no good rewards. Zergs and zergs of mobs with nothing to show for it after the battle is over.

Massive balance issues, actions taken but they only make the situation worse and kill other viable builds not intended to be fucked with because they are total idiots.

No competent testers or a PTR which has been asked for since the games release.

Events still give you shit less than 2 silver and some EXP.. woohoo, who the fuck even does those anymore, people are doing nothing but grinding champions now which give terrible loot anyway. I grinded like 40 bags one day and had nothing to show for it, who the hell would do that 24/7? Rewards in this game are ATROCIOUS aha.

Meanwhile, I get 496 gear in timeless isle for spending all of 5 minutes which I guess could be considered exotics whereas raid gear would be ascended, and even that is 10x easier to get in WoW. I think it's a bit silly people keep saying this game has no tread mill when really it's even worse than other MMOs, are you fuckin blind? For real, serious question here.

IDK maybe it's just me, maybe I'm deluuuuuuusional. Gahh, this game is so garbage. It really irks me this franchise was demolished by bad decisions. Oh have they even added GvG yet.. no I don't think so.

I forgot to mention bugs, did anyone watch the dev livestream how they couldn't even clear any temples because it bugged out every time? God I felt so bad for that developer seeing how retarded his own content is. It's SO obvious they weren't even aware of those issues... need I say more? They don't play their own game.

They make decisions on paper and don't even pay attention to what it actually does to the players or the world they created, because hey, it fuckin sounded good.

Piss poor amount of skills

Still no particle effect slider, which a dev deemed "not worthy of our attention at this time" on the official forums, which I promptly got banned for replying to shortly after (HAHA) I couldn't help myself but call him a fucking retard seeing as how it's impossible to tell what's going on when your target is covered in giant goddamn fire balls to the point where his name isn't visible much less his actual body.

"but this is a game where you dodge attacks by watching your opponent" rofl yeah right, gimme a break. It's all random dodges who the hell can even see when an attack is going off.

I'm pretty sure an epilepsy patient would DIE from playing this game, it's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-11-20 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every 2 weeks, just like clockwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLj99ZgVMvw
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Most? Dig through the first ~3 pages of topics in SPvP forum: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp
    Very few are related to class balance, most are related to a very broad range of things. It's a known fact that ANet has massively neglected the PvP side of the game and community, while PvE gets boatloads of regular content, rewards and incentives. Class balance is only a fraction of the list of problems with GW2 PvP.
    Just to name a few things: People are frustrated that investing massive time and effort in PvP has almost nothing to show for it while doing the same in PvE would see them ROLLING in gold/gems and endless item skins. Conquest is still the only freaking mode available, matchmaking was terrible for over 1 year, there is still no reporting/system to deal with AFK'ers, someone on the dev team thought releasing Skyhammer for ranked matches was actually a good idea, etc etc.
    Actually that's the advanced stuff, it's quite difficult for newbies to even get INTO PvP with the terrible tutorial, nonsensical default/stater builds and very little guidance overall. Typically a player will spend the first several hours trying to figure out WTF is going on, where to go and what to do.

The PvP side of the game is unfinished, that's all I can say. Class balance issues are fine n' dandy (played through ~5 years of WoW's 2v2/3v3 balancing mess) but the overall foundations of GW2 PvP is lacking. It ultimately works for competition purposes, you can get some very interesting matches happening with set teams. But it could be a LOT better, unfortunately it's easy to see 95% of ANet's resources and development goes into PvE.
    Now this is what I call a "perfect example" of what I said earlier about the people in forums! I would imagine Xuvial doesn't even play the game anymore but let's give it a shot.

Note: Xuvial I know you want to stir things up and live your fantasy of the world agreeing gw2 is terrible, and I won't deny you that path but I have to call you on your bullshit for the sake of those who want to try gw2.

Dig through the first ~3 pages of topics in SPvP forum... ... Very few are related to class balance, most are related to a very broad range of things.
    Yes. How long do you think one could complain about class balance without being branded a "spoiled brat whining"?! Which of course he is, but that's another story...
    Even so, getting past this.... How stranger are you to gw2 and its forums that you don't even know class balance related threads go under the respective class's sub-forum? I have less than 60 messages over there and I know this!

Are you purposefully misleading the crowds?!

People are frustrated that investing massive time and effort in PvP has almost nothing to show for it while doing the same in PvE would see them ROLLING in gold/gems and endless item skins
    "Nothing to show for it"?! Ain't you a funny lass... Winning tournaments (which does not require a premade team unless each player has no more than 3 fingers per hand) nets you with chests full of gear (usually around 4 pieces). Plus you can also buy chests with glory. You know... That currency you have no other use for..! That is of course, if crafting the gear is too slow for you..!

So at the end of the day, not only you get them for free, but you get more and quicker than in PvE!

...while doing the same in PvE would see them ROLLING in gold/gems and endless item skins
    Whoever even tried gw2 knows why to call bs on that, and then report you for attempt at flaming. In PvE You don't finish the average dungeon in less than 20 minutes, and no dungeon/boss/jp/whatever else -run is going to give you skins unless you are very lucky. And I do mean "very".

Plus there are some costs, like repairing armor, traveling, food buffs, refunding your traits, trying new weapons, changing your stats etc. And then there is, buying skins which can be immensely expensive and you won't even have to leave the exotic tier to find such cases... A destroyer axe for example is among the cheapest "nice looking" skins one can obtain, at the cost of about 24g. The Foefire Essena (GS) on the other hand costs 500g!

But of course this is none of your concern since in SPvP you get all the skins from reward chests or from crafting them, at the cost of... Glory! The most overabundant currency, even before Karma! No cost for stat upgrades, or refunding traits, or sigils and runes, or weapons, or waypoints, or repairing armor, or armor dyes... So, it begs the question... The fuck do you need gold for, in SPvP?!

And I just can't get past this big fat lie: "ROLLING in gold/gems"

Mate the only ones who roll in gold are those who flip in the market and TP is NOT an exclusive part of PvE. The rest of us live like beggars. And which fucking activity rewards gems in PvE?! Can you at least give half the truth instead of lying continuously for your idiotic propaganda, you unique snowflake?

* The cheapest and easiest to obtain full skin sets are that of dungeons. A full armor set + 4 weapons (1 melee and 1 range for land, plus 1 melee and 1 range for underwater combat) costs 2940 tokens. Now assume you want the AC set. Considering the average run gives 64 tokens, and with an average group, you require 30 minutes to finish each path, you need to run the dungeon 46 times. BUT! Because of diminishing returns you can only do 3 paths per day. Do the math and it ll show you that you need to run AC 1 to 2 hours per day, in a time frame of 15 days, to get this one set of skins. All the time to obtain the prerequisites (like story mode, the gear, the appropriate level, etc) is of course not counted in but it probably should since you can enter the SPvP area, for free from level 1. Just get past the 1st part of personal story...

there is still no reporting/system to deal with AFK'ers
    Yes... There isn't. Most probably because you are automatically kicked at 2 minutes (1/5 of the average length of a match) and if you get a dc you get completely thrown out of that pvp server. Granted, reporting the afk-bastard is going to bring you some satisfaction, but then again AFKers are rarely the problem. Bad players are, and you would totally abuse the system. Admit it!

It's just better this way. You won't be venting your anger on a poor player trying to learn the game or an even poorer employee who has to listen/read you complaints, and the afkers get thrown away. All that remains is for you not to be a bad sport and play with teamwork.

Considering also the strict anti-bot and ban policy, you are definitely not going to run on the same issues you did in WoW's battlegrounds.

it's quite difficult for newbies to even get INTO PvP
    nonsensical default/stater builds
    Typically a player will spend the first several hours trying to figure out WTF is going on, where to go and what to do
    At this point I was really thinking of dropping it cause all the above is enough to show how untenable your arguments are, but really... You just claimed that the problem with GW2's PvP for newbies is that they need a few hours to figure out the workings of it.

I mean... Really! You didn't see a problem with that statement when you thought of it? None?! Nothing at all?!

Like it is a normal thing for a newbie to be thrown in the end game of an RPG, and pick up the mechanics and all in a fucking jiffy!

Come on now... This whole farce you call an educated opinion, is straight up provoking. Stop it with your nonsense. Play the game, gets your facts straight and then attempt a review. Anti-gw fanboy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Mpif, from your post I've deduced that you do exclusively PvE and almost no PvP.

This made it obvious enough:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpif View Post
    "Nothing to show for it"?! Ain't you a funny lass... Winning tournaments (which does not require a premade team unless each player has no more than 3 fingers per hand) nets you with chests full of gear (usually around 4 pieces). Plus you can also buy chests with glory. You know... That currency you have no other use for..! That is of course, if crafting the gear is too slow for you..!
    People are sitting on 150K-300K+ glory with nothing to spend it on. The "chests full of gear" are worthless because that gear gets salvaged (to save inventory space!), which then sits gathering dust like this:

^ That's mine and I'm only rank 30, I fear to think how much crap people rank 40-50+ have lying around...they probably had to resort to destroying stuff.
    All those materials, all that gear, everything I have translates to exactly 0 gold/gems because they only exist inside SPvP. That's all I have to show for my countless hours in PvP, meaningless junk materials. Glory boosters are also worthless.
    Some people are hanging onto their chests (hundreds of them!) and not opening them in the hope that ANet might make something worthwhile come out of them in the future. I'm about to start doing the same to save inventory space.

PvE gets constant Living World updates and all your gear can at least be SOLD in AH, or salvaged into sellable materials. You are at least getting something out of it.

There only 1 mode in PvP - conquest. Do you know any other MMO (that costs money) with only 1 mode in PvP? 4v5 matches are easily the biggest frustration from the day Solo Queue became viable. Bad players are unavoidable, why would people complain about that? But 4v5's are something that ANet has done nothing to address. People are resorting to creating threads about repeat-AFK'ers (who do it on purpose to grief their team) because reporting them for 3-4+ months has achieved nothing and they are literally dancing naked in front of ANet asking for a ban and getting away with it.

I was probably exaggerating about PvE'ers making lots of gold, I don't do it too much...but I made at least some gold (profit, after repairs) by just running dungeons/fractals and selling stuff. That's a fuckload more than what I get out of PvP.

It's best to not talk about PvP because your post is HIGHLY indicative of your lack of time spent in it. The fact you think glory/chests are worthwhile is enough proof.

Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-11-21 at 07:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just buy it already, its not great but its not terrible and it will give you some entertainment for a while. I havent played for a month or so but I will jump on it soon to see if it can hook me for another day or so. I spent money on better things, but to me its a no brainer if you're here posting it means you must be interested, so just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Events still give you shit less than 2 silver and some EXP.. woohoo, who the fuck even does those anymore, people are doing nothing but grinding champions now which give terrible loot anyway. I grinded like 40 bags one day and had nothing to show for it, who the hell would do that 24/7? Rewards in this game are ATROCIOUS aha.

Meanwhile, I get 496 gear in timeless isle for spending all of 5 minutes which I guess could be considered exotics whereas raid gear would be ascended, and even that is 10x easier to get in WoW. I think it's a bit silly people keep saying this game has no tread mill when really it's even worse than other MMOs, are you fuckin blind? For real, serious question here.
    On the subject of grind, grind means 'any activity I see as getting in the way of my fun', so that's a very hard thing to balance. And complaints will always seem rife because very few people post to say 'hey, this is awesome, good job!'. That's human nature, we sit in complacency when things work and scream bloody murder when they don't. Also, what one person views as retarded complaints and another as real issues is highly subjective as well.

That said, the reason we say gear treadmill, IMO at least, is that you don't have to keep getting new and better gear as a requirement to do newer content. It can be nice, sure, but it's not needed. It's more about mechanics and group comp than it is gear. And even then, it mostly comes down to a question of time taken to complete, not if you'll complete or not. That's in organized content. In an open-world zerg, you just roll over stuff, which I get some people hate. I personally quite enjoy seeing an army of players kicking the shit out of something and taking part in it.

As for events, some can be entertaining to do for their own sake, others are good for dailies/monthlies, and it's all useful for someone doing levelling/relevant Renown Hearts. Especially the World Boss Events, for your guaranteed rare gear drops. Champ farming is indeed popular because of the reward boxes as a filler activity, and I've used it extensively to level my many chars.

And I can tell you I see attacks coming and dodge them. And I'm playing on a satmodem with around 700ms of ping.

I will agree it can be annoying sometimes to see a champ turn into a glowing blue-white lump on the screen, but I've learned to accept that. Bugs are always a problem and I also agree they could do a better job fixing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Every 2 weeks, just like clockwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLj99ZgVMvw
    That was very cute, thank you for sharing it.

I had to stop playing WoW/Rift/SWTOR style MMORPGs to really start enjoying GW2. I've become very infrequent in my playing times which consequentially has made me randomly want to play it. I'll be sitting at work and think "Man, I can't wait to do [X] on my Thief tonight."

The game isn't going to hold your hand and point you in a direction or punish you for not logging in every day. It's there when you want it. This is a concept I couldn't grasp and enjoy when I had other games pulling me in the other direction.

In reality though, the graphics and your first play through are well worth the $50. It's one of the most graphically impressive games I've ever played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    In reality though, the graphics and your first play through are well worth the $50. It's one of the most graphically impressive games I've ever played.
    Amen to this. Gameplay videos and screenshots don't do it justice, I bought GW2 expecting "decent" graphics (which MMO doesn't look pretty these days) and had my mind BLOWN of how amazing so many areas/zones are.
    They literally breathe with life and fantasy, coupled with the superb surround sound effects it makes GW2 easily the most aesthetically-pleasing MMO I have played to date.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say it's worth the price since it's a one time deal.. my biggest problem is i find the questing boring and only really like the personal story line.. which unfortunatly you have to level between every one.. or do what i've done a number of times and compleated them at 3 levels below recommended level *this is sometimes a corpse drag*
    i'd also say play what class interests you. personaly i went with guardian to start. it suits me.

If nothing else you aren't wasting money if you only play a few hours a month.

Deleted
    Mpif, from your post I've deduced that you do exclusively PvE and almost no PvP.

This made it obvious enough... ...It's best to not talk about PvP because your post is HIGHLY indicative of your lack of time spent in it. The fact you think glory/chests are worthwhile is enough proof.
    Xuvial, from your post I deduced you are a woman. I spent half an hour yesterday, going from point to point to dispel your bullshit so that newbies or people who want to give gw2 a try won't fall into your trap. Yet here you are today completely dismissing everything I said, and repeating what is it that you want to be given from the game instead of where it is faulty...

Are these deductions helpful to anyone but me and you?! Much less, being on topic...

I do agree PvE gets immensely more content every patch compared to PvP and that 1 year later and still having only one mode in pvp maps, sucks and just shouldn't be the case. Especially when they want to make gw2 an e-sport and at the same time want to deviate from the standard PvE formula. But that's not the point either of us wants to make.

You want to say "gw2 is a bad game" and I want to say "shut the fuck up, cause you don't know what you are talking about".

Point to the case you try to argue about PvE being much more rewarding when it is common knowledge that all the wealth you attain is meant to be used on skins, which are the end goal in GW2. Skins that you get in SPvP for free when they cost tremendously in PvE. And cut the crap... You don't need gold to have something to "show for". You are a player, not a businessman or a banker...

At any rate, I said it above. You don't try to argue nor are you considered with fairness. You just want to trash the game because you bear animosity from not getting what you want.

I gave my arguments, so readers will be fine. You go feed on your own emotional instability.

Mod Edit: Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-22 at 06:10 AM.

Since I've played 2000 hours with an initial $60 investment, it is easily worth it. So many different activities to do in the game. It really is spectacular.

i didnt like it at first and when i tried to give it a second chance i cant even recover my account because i need the code that was on the box.......last time i has the box was a year ago and the guy told me he couldnt reset my password without the code. I was not happy and was like man F this game. over all review based on my experiences is that it was a waste of 50 bucks (or however much it cost back then)

Quote Originally Posted by Zookrewkilla View Post
    i didnt like it at first and when i tried to give it a second chance i cant even recover my account because i need the code that was on the box.......last time i has the box was a year ago and the guy told me he couldnt reset my password without the code. I was not happy and was like man F this game. over all review based on my experiences is that it was a waste of 50 bucks (or however much it cost back then)
    So you bought the game, didn't like it, didn't think you'd want to play it again. Wanted to try it again, threw the box out without writing down the serial, forgot your password (which you can reset through e-mail without the serial) so I assume you also lost access to your email and you're complaining they just won't give you the account?

OT: It's a great game, the thing I love is I can log in once a week and progress towards something, have some fun doing exploration/jumping puzzles and so on then log out and just come on whenever it tickles my fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zookrewkilla View Post
    You don't need the code to reset your password. You will need to answer questions to prove the account is yours however. You can put in a ticket here:

https://guildwars2.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new
    Valar morghulis