Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why Grommash and not Grom anymore?

Anyone else noticed, they never called him Grom thru the whole Blizzcon yet? they always refer him Grommash and not just Grom.

So anyone know why ?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that "Grom" has been trademarked, so they're sticking with Grommash, which is his name anyway.

Deleted
    As one of the original leaks was at least partly true, we can take his word that it is for "legal reasons".
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-happens-next

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx

Honda’s 2014 Grom™ is a fresh, new way to add some fun, practicality, independence and style to your life.
    See the little "tm" there?

Grom is copyrighted/trademarked already

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    They can't trademark something that already existed 2004 in Blizzard content.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    I could be wrong, but the trademark of a motorcycle is not what would stop them from using the name for a fictional character. If he had a motorcycle, then sure, but the two are completely unrelated.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Deleted
    My theory is it's because the want him to marry Garrosh at some point and want their names to rhyme so they would be easier to remember.

Deleted
    Come on. In my native language "Grom" means Thunderclap

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They can't trademark something that already existed 2004 in Blizzard content.
    If Blizzard didn't, then they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's gotta be some way they can get it back. Or at least share it. He's already in WC2 and WC3 and referred to in WoW, and now that he makes a significant appearance in WoW he can't be called the name everyone knows him by?

Though I'm sure if they could get it, Blizzard would have made it happen. Maybe they're still in the process *crosses fingers*

Honda has the trademark on Grom and most likely would not let Blizzard use it.

some bs legal reason. which blizzard should have sued since they had Grom first

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    some bs legal reason. which blizzard should have sued since they had Grom first
    But they didn't trademarked Grom. Now Honda did.

Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    I could be wrong, but the trademark of a motorcycle is not what would stop them from using the name for a fictional character. If he had a motorcycle, then sure, but the two are completely unrelated.
    It's not the motorbike, there is a company in Croatia that has an international trademark on the word Grom & one of the categories applicable to their trademark is "Games & Toys".

Whilst it is doubtful any court would consider a Motorbike trademark as being enforceable in relation to a computer game (unless the game related to motorbikes), a trademark specifically applied to "Games & Toys" could be a big issue for Blizzard. I'm assuming they are erring on the side of caution & just going back to the longer version of his name so as not to face legal challenges.

The "legal" reason in that leak was just a bad translation. Honestly, you can't have copyright issues with a word in a video game.... This is the REAL reason why:

"Grom" means giant in the Orcish language, and there will be many giants on Draenor that will be referred to as Grom. So Blizzard are using Grommash's full name to avoid confusion.

Grom sounds like a terrible name for a vehicle maybe we should let Grom know about this and he can come slaughter Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    But they didn't trademarked Grom. Now Honda did.
    they should have but were lazy. Blizzard sued Valve for trying to trademark DOTA. good thing it ended well, with both side agreeing that DOTA should never be trademarked to let people have the freedom to make their own version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The "legal" reason in that leak was just a bad translation. Honestly, you can't have copyright issues with a word in a video game.... This is the REAL reason why:

"Grom" means giant in the Orcish language, and there will be many giants on Draenor that will be referred to as Grom. So Blizzard are using Grommash's full name to avoid confusion.
    So we have giants on Draenor named Gronn and giants on Draenor named Grom?

indeed /10char