Poll: How do you feel about the Lone Wolf talent?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lone Wolf talent makes me actually want to play a hunter now. I hate pet management; it never works the way I want. I sooooooo love sacrificing my minion as a Warlock so now I'm inclined to try Hunter in the new expac.

One of my fellow hunters has had issues with his pet this entire expansion. Most of the time it just stands by his side looking stupid even though it's set to Assist. This is occurring with Stampede and with multiple pets.

At the very least, this will really help him out, haha.

I'll be sticking with a pet myself, personally, but viable or not, it's fantastic to have this option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Been dying for this ever since Illidari Council in Black Temple.
    Obviously the tank was mean for not moving far enough out of aoe for pets not to get shafted but that's still when I knew I needed this!

So long as at least one ability in each talent tier doesn't require having a pet nor summoning one (so Murder of Crows is out) I think it'd work to give the feel of being a ranger type. But it'd still have to be the smallest DPS gain of the talents in that tier to discourage people from feeling compelled to drop their pet.

Pet AI could definitely be improved though. For example, if you jump off a cliff it shouldn't try to go around and then aggro everything. It should either just sit there until you call it and then it teleports to you, or it just teleports to you in the first place. We shouldn't have to dismiss pets to move around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

To me, this seems halfarsed.

Imo. make MM a petless spec, do it right the first time. Remove / rework the talent so it does not affect Survival to the extent that that spec becomes petless. Having a pet is the essence of being a hunter in my world. There is a reason the class is called "Hunter" and not "Ranger".

I am absolutely mortified by the poll results...

10+ Year Old Account
    30% dmg increase.. its so awesome - the question is if the pet CC can be spared in pvp.. We'll see i guess
    I like juice

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I have a short visual presentation to show my enthusiasm

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiz View Post
    Imo. make MM a petless spec, do it right the first time. Remove / rework the talent so it does not affect Survival to the extent that that spec becomes petless. Having a pet is the essence of being a hunter in my world. There is a reason the class is called "Hunter" and not "Ranger".

I am absolutely mortified by the poll results...
    There's plenty of arguments to not add this talent, "there's a reason the class is called Hunter" is not one of them. Being a hunter in no way requires an animal companion. Certainly not any more so than the Ranger archetype of RPGs.

i was hoping for an option to say, yes i like the option to be petless and not lose damage while doing so on some scenarios when the pet is retarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    There's plenty of arguments to not add this talent, "there's a reason the class is called Hunter" is not one of them. Being a hunter in no way requires an animal companion. Certainly not any more so than the Ranger archetype of RPGs.
    Was thinking this. If anything a hunter implies they hunt animals to kill for produce.

I don't mind it, but I REALLY dig the BM part of the 'With or Without You" talent, giving my tank pets the dps AND cunning abilities will be amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Alas, sweet prince! You hath received thine own ass handed to ye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fewer hunters with stuns, webs, disarms, blinds, and roots in PvP?

Sounds good to me.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Fewer hunters with stuns, webs, disarms, blinds, and roots in PvP?

Sounds good to me.
    Assuming the talents are FINAL and will be shipped AS IS...

I'm voting "I prefer a different approach."

I like the idea of the pet not being a direct dps mechanism for the player as to avoid issues with AI and pathing, etc. However, I like the idea of the pets providing a passive buff so you don't lose the ability to provide raid support or self support while questing alone. Have the talent remove the pet's ability to attack, or contribute to the encounter aside from defensive abilities such as "master's call" or providing passive buffs based on the pet family. That way, pet's bugging out won't affect your dps and you'll still keep the flavor of a pet class.

10+ Year Old Account
    The talent will most likely stick, but will be tuned to be the "worst" of the tier.

Gotta say i like this talent even though i prolly never choose it except for BM

I know people who think there pets are more of a hindrance than a help especially with shitty AI and the fact it takes time for the pet to go from one target to another if dash is on CD

Also please hunters dont need a pet to be hunters they just need a range weapon and be able to stalk there prey with traps and snares

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    The talent will most likely stick, but will be tuned to be the "worst" of the tier.
    I really hope the talents are balanced in such a way that in aoe fights, you're better to take Bola Shot, in single target movement heavy fights you're better to take WoWY and in single target fights where movement isn't so strict you're better to take Snipe. I like when all talent have their place and you need to choose accordingly. Just make sure that when not choosing optimal talents per encounter it doesn't gimp you too heavily. That way players that prefer a talent vs. min/maxing don't feel left out in the cold.

I chose "I would prefer a different approach". I am not opposed to the hunter class not having a pet but I feel like that should be reserved for a single spec and not gained through a talent, some choices are just strong for a talent. In my opinion MM should be made a pet-less spec, especially since MM obviously needs an overhaul. What a grand opportunity to fix MM and fix spec homogenization.

I think most hunters are just so excited that they are finally getting a pet-less option that they aren't thinking about all the ramifications of this. This talent will undoubtedly end up just like grimsac getting changed/nerfed every single patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    the talent looks boring compared to bola shot

you guys finnaly got what you where asking for all this time. inb4itsashittalent
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    Personally, I'm so happy about this. Those who want to be a classical WoW hunter can still pick from the other two talents. Pet-less Warlocks have been well-balanced for the most part so I don't imagine pet-less Hunters will be a nightmare either.

I can't wait to finally be a Warcraft II -style Ranger. More options are a good thing. Some of the reactions I've seen have come off as almost ultra-conservative in nature..

It'd be ideal, if it did slightly more than not having a pet, as you lose some of the utility a pet would normally bring (the snares/stuns/etc and the buffs/debuffs)

Honestly, It's pretty cool, either way.